Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 PM

439 posts, read 348,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The words 'Trinity' from the Latin 'trinitas' and 'tri-unity' mean the same thing and with regard to God refer to the three Persons of the Godhead - The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Thank you!

So do you think the holy spirit means the same thing to everyone within this discussion?
Does God mean the same thing?
Does the son mean the same thing?

Since they are the godhead aka the trinity? Must be different religions use different termanology referring to the same definitions.
The bible uses GODHEAD not Trinity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:13 PM

744 posts, read 322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Government has a deep investment in keeping the population breeding properly (not just to fill up the quota of canon fodder and ignorant workers).
Actually, the government might look for cannon fodder. Many or most religious groups are the ones looking for canon fodder.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:15 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,143,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
I was addressing the biblical (bible) definition only, not the definition per this forum.
Sorry, but the Bible doesn't define the word "Christian." Jesus Christ, however, did say how people would be able to know His followers, and it was by the love they showed for one another, not by how the tried to excluding one another from the Christian family. The Bible is full of sermons and letters pertaining to the teachings of Jesus Christ, but many of these teachings can be and are interpreted differently by different Christian denominations. No self-professed Christian deserves to be told by anyone but God himself that he is "not a Christian."

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-08-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I am lost.
That's for sure.

Quote:
The bible gives the definition of Christian. Where is it you find something contrary to what I posted?
I didn't find a definition at all. So I'm asking you where in the Bible this definition is.

Quote:
I am not familiar with the word trinity, but I think it might be used by the world as synonymous to Godhead or Tri-une Godhead?
It might be, and then again it might not be. The Bible mentions the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost and uses the word "God" to describe them. But Christians of different denominations interpret the relationship between them differently. Are you saying the Godhead (or Trinity) must be interpreted the way you do in order for a person to qualify to be known as a Christian?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM

16,114 posts, read 6,438,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, but the Bible doesn't define the word "Christian." Jesus Christ, however, did say how people would be able to know His followers, and it was by the love they showed for one another, not by how the tried to excluding one another from the Christian family.
Sometimes I wonder if excluding other Christians isn't part of the plan. How else can a group define themselves as "special" if they are part of the majority? It blows that whole persecution/narrow gate thing right out of the water. I think that brand of Christianity appeals to the ego. There was a thread in the Atheist?Ag forum about No part of the world bumper stickers. I always think of the "spirit of the world" as placing yourselves above your fellowman. Nothing says humble like a bumper sticker to declare your superiority over the worldly people. I think more accurately when you separate yourself from God's prized creation you separate yourself from him.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Again, YOU BROUGHT UP THE TRINITY, I DID NOT
You brought up the "Triune Godhead." "Trinity" is the word used by most Christians to refer to that entity.

You have so few posts, Jeaniee, and I must say you haven't gotten off to a very good start. You might want to consider how you're coming across, as that might be a clue as to why this is.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,983,941 times
Quote:
Since they are the godhead aka the trinity? Must be different religions use different termanology referring to the same definitions.
Actually, in the only place where "godhead" is used as a term in translation the Bible uses the word Θεότητος which is also translated as "diety."

Translation is a tricky business and translators tend to use words which support the doctrines they have been taught.

You are getting your Bible study from only one source, Jeaniee, and that doesn't give the full picture. May I suggest that you ask questions here rather than make the dogmatic statements you have been taught?

I see that delightful lady Katzpur is on the same page.....sound advice

Old 10-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if excluding other Christians isn't part of the plan. How else can a group define themselves as "special" if they are part of the majority? It blows that whole persecution/narrow gate thing right out of the water. I think that brand of Christianity appeals to the ego. There was a thread in the Atheist?Ag forum about No part of the world bumper stickers. I always think of the "spirit of the world" as placing yourselves above your fellowman. Nothing says humble like a bumper sticker to declare your superiority over the worldly people. I think more accurately when you separate yourself from God's prized creation you separate yourself from him.
Sorry, but I can't rep you yet.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,983,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sorry, but the Bible doesn't define the word "Christian." Jesus Christ, however, did say how people would be able to know His followers, and it was by the love they showed for one another, not by how the tried to excluding one another from the Christian family. The Bible is full of sermons and letters pertaining to the teachings of Jesus Christ, but many of these teachings can be and are interpreted differently by different Christian denominations. No self-professed Christian deserved to be told by anyone but God himself that he is "not a Christian."
and there you are again!

Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 PM

33,382 posts, read 26,686,624 times
Quote:
Thank you!

So do you think the holy spirit means the same thing to everyone within this discussion?
Does God mean the same thing?
Does the son mean the same thing?

You're welcome. I haven't read most of this thread and so I don't know the details of the discussion. But the words 'Trinity', 'tri-unity', and 'triune' all refer to the number three and so are interchangeable in discussions about God.

I am a Trinitarian and can back up my belief with Scripture as I have many times on this forum. Having said that, I don't believe that you have to believe in the tri-unity of God in order to be saved, to be born again, to receive eternal life, to be a Christian. I believe that if a believer in Christ Jesus is growing spiritually he will come to understand that God is triune. It's never stated in the Bible that you have to believe in the Tri-unity of God to be saved. It is stated that you must believe in Christ Jesus in order to be saved.

Having said that, I have always believed (perhaps rightly or perhaps wrongly) that one has to believe that Jesus is God, which of course He is, in order to receive eternal life. There are certain things stated in the Bible that are necessary to believe about Jesus. The apostle Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 that the gospel by which you are saved, and that was of first importance is that Christ died for our sins, and that He rose again on the third day.
1 Cor. 15:1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2] by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3] For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
And Jesus Himself said with regard to Himself that if you don't believe that He is ''I am'' you will die in your sins.
John 8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
Now Jesus' meaning may have been that you must believe that He is the Messiah, or He may have meant that you must believe that He is God. Some of Jesus' 'I am' statements referred to His deity as in John 8:58 and reflect the 'I am' statements of God about Himself in Isaiah 41:4; 43:10,12,13; and 44:6.

The apostle John in his Gospel goes out of his way to emphasize the fact that Jesus is God. And both Matthew 26:63-64 and Mark 14:61-62 record Jesus' claim to deity. For details on that I will refer you to my thread - https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...thew-mark.html regarding Jesus' statement about 'coming on the clouds' and how it was understood to be a claim to deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality