Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 11:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,310,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It should be important -- unless, of course, you're of an age when nothing really matters anymore. Because these "sincerely incorrect/misinformed" people vote -- and they vote for representatives that want to do some insane, absurd, and even cruel things to the American people. Remember when the GOP wailed at the top of their lungs about how Obamacare was increasing the debt? Remember how they kept comparing Bush's deficit spending to Obama's? Yet, now that THEY are in power, they're willing to add $1.5 TRILLION to the debt -- and is it for the people, like Obamacare was? No, of course not. It's so the wealthy can get a truly massive tax cut -- the largest redistribution of wealth from poor to rich in American history.

And yet look how many of your blissfully sleeping people who are "incorrect/misinformed" sleepwalk to the voting booth and press the button/pull the lever to elect the candidate who is rubbing his hands eager to steal health care from 30 million people -- most of who are disabled and elderly -- because, well, as I said once before, I truly understand how hard it is to make ends meet when you only have a mere few billion dollars in liquid and property assets. I just don't know how those rich folk get by every day.

For whatever insane reason, a massive swathe of Christians have inextricably linked their religion to far-right politics -- and I honestly cannot think of a more dangerous combination: religious fascism. Nothing but nothing on the grand stage of politics is worse.

But *shrug* I dunno. I mean, if it's not important, well, I can only lead the proverbial horse to the equally proverbial water but I cannot proverbially make him take a proverbial drink -- of that proverbial water. It says so. In the Book of Proverbs. Heh. Heh heh.

Sorry, but there are times when it's appropriate to sleep -- and there are appropriate times to be awake.

When sleeping in peace means they get to manipulate the courts and the government to set up a de facto theocratic state -- especially when it comes to marginalizing, disenfranchising, and even oppressing those who do not share their religious beliefs or so-called moral values.

We simply cannot afford to have almost half the country sleeping as the REST of the world, fully awake, advances and progresses and leaves us far behind.

So, while the REST of the world addresses and tackles problems like climate change head-on, we here in sleeping America merely yawn, stretch, and return to sleep, muttering tiredly, "God will take care of it." Or, "Who cares, Jesus will return within the next 50 years anyway" or "God gave humans dominion over the earth so there's no way we could damage it."

And, as we slumber away, holding our superstitions and ancient mythology close like a favorite teddy bear, our planet races toward that irreversible tipping point whereby the coming calamity becomes inevitable.

This is just one of numerous examples of why letting people blissfully sleep in peace is not the wisest course of action. And, as the wealthiest, most influential, most powerful nation in all of human history, we are supposed to be *leading* the free world, not sleeping through the storm.
You've touched upon the most disappointing aspects of the US population and government.

All that you wrote is the reason why I am entertaining the idea of becoming an expat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:48 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,920,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It should be important -- unless, of course, you're of an age when nothing really matters anymore. Because these "sincerely incorrect/misinformed" people vote -- and they vote for representatives that want to do some insane, absurd, and even cruel things to the American people. Remember when the GOP wailed at the top of their lungs about how Obamacare was increasing the debt? Remember how they kept comparing Bush's deficit spending to Obama's? Yet, now that THEY are in power, they're willing to add $1.5 TRILLION to the debt -- and is it for the people, like Obamacare was? No, of course not. It's so the wealthy can get a truly massive tax cut -- the largest redistribution of wealth from poor to rich in American history.

And yet look how many of your blissfully sleeping people who are "incorrect/misinformed" sleepwalk to the voting booth and press the button/pull the lever to elect the candidate who is rubbing his hands eager to steal health care from 30 million people -- most of who are disabled and elderly -- because, well, as I said once before, I truly understand how hard it is to make ends meet when you only have a mere few billion dollars in liquid and property assets. I just don't know how those rich folk get by every day.

For whatever insane reason, a massive swathe of Christians have inextricably linked their religion to far-right politics -- and I honestly cannot think of a more dangerous combination: religious fascism. Nothing but nothing on the grand stage of politics is worse.

But *shrug* I dunno. I mean, if it's not important, well, I can only lead the proverbial horse to the equally proverbial water but I cannot proverbially make him take a proverbial drink -- of that proverbial water. It says so. In the Book of Proverbs. Heh. Heh heh.

Sorry, but there are times when it's appropriate to sleep -- and there are appropriate times to be awake.

When sleeping in peace means they get to manipulate the courts and the government to set up a de facto theocratic state -- especially when it comes to marginalizing, disenfranchising, and even oppressing those who do not share their religious beliefs or so-called moral values.

We simply cannot afford to have almost half the country sleeping as the REST of the world, fully awake, advances and progresses and leaves us far behind.

So, while the REST of the world addresses and tackles problems like climate change head-on, we here in sleeping America merely yawn, stretch, and return to sleep, muttering tiredly, "God will take care of it." Or, "Who cares, Jesus will return within the next 50 years anyway" or "God gave humans dominion over the earth so there's no way we could damage it."

And, as we slumber away, holding our superstitions and ancient mythology close like a favorite teddy bear, our planet races toward that irreversible tipping point whereby the coming calamity becomes inevitable.

This is just one of numerous examples of why letting people blissfully sleep in peace is not the wisest course of action. And, as the wealthiest, most influential, most powerful nation in all of human history, we are supposed to be *leading* the free world, not sleeping through the storm.
Superb as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Here's the thing. I'm not a believer and I'm not religious. Maybe agnostic is more accurate for me but either way I don't believe in the existence of any kind of god or higher power.......
That would make you atheist.

Quote:
I just don't mind if someone does.
Well you SHOULD damn well mind. Post #570 explains why you should mind.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,310,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Superb as always.
Indeed!

Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,064,370 times
A theist is someone that believes that God exists.
An atheist is someone that believes God does not exist.
The truth is you shouldn't believe anything. You should always know.

If I have a coin with two heads and I flip it then I know that it will land heads.

If it has one heads and one Tails then I don't know what it will land but I still know the probability Is 50/50.

If I don't know how many heads or tails the coin has then I don't know what the probability is but I still know what the Bayesian probability is.

At no point is it necessary to believe anything.

A moral person is a person that understands that the Universe does not revolve around their ego.

A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one individual or any one group of people. The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,627,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm Theist...and this is a forum for "Religion and Spirituality".
How many people go on a Forum for a subject/thing/activity, and put up thousands (some, tens of thousands) of posts bashing the subject of the board, and criticize (even mock) the members of the board for being into the subject/thing/activity?!
I only see that here.
Which, I must admit, is a big part of my twisted attraction to it...as that amuses me.
You sound like a spoiled loser

Old 12-19-2017, 06:28 AM

50,145 posts, read 20,928,614 times
There have been one or two posts here by people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about and in one case is specifically here to mock, sneer at and antagonize atheists. Such posts are best ignored.

I'm happy to discuss at length with anyone really willing to consider and discuss, but I'm tired of people who spout crap with their fingers jammed in their ears.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,064,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There have been one or two posts here by people who clearly have no idea what they are talking about and in one case is specifically here to mock, sneer at and antagonize atheists. Such posts are best ignored.

I'm happy to discuss at length with anyone really willing to consider and discuss, but I'm tired of people who spout crap with their fingers jammed in their ears.
Is that what you think we are thinking about you?

Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,695,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You sound like a spoiled loser
How have I "lost" anything?
Oh, and, any modern First World existence is "spoiled", relatively.
I am grateful for that.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,695,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
A theist is someone that believes that God exists.
An atheist is someone that believes God does not exist.
The truth is you shouldn't believe anything. You should always know.

If I have a coin with two heads and I flip it then I know that it will land heads.

If it has one heads and one Tails then I don't know what it will land but I still know the probability Is 50/50.

If I don't know how many heads or tails the coin has then I don't know what the probability is but I still know what the Bayesian probability is.

At no point is it necessary to believe anything.

A moral person is a person that understands that the Universe does not revolve around their ego.

A civilized society is a society whose laws do not revolve around any one individual or any one group of people. The more a society treats everyone as equals the more civilized it is.
I'm Pantheist. The God I perceive exists...unequivocally and irrefutably. It is self-substantiating...so, I "know".
Well, as much as anything can be "known". Nothing is infallible...so it ALL comes down to "faith" and "beliefs".

Old 12-19-2017, 08:03 AM

50,145 posts, read 20,928,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Is that what you think we are thinking about you?
After our last exchange on the Jesus timeline dates and you latest claiming the earth once had four moons, I really don't care what you think of me. Anyone who wants to read your posts can do so. I shan't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality