Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:01 PM

20,033 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Anyone who says THAT is certainly not using logic -- but rather giving in to the brain's automatic revulsion towards something happening just because of dumb luck.
It's not even a false choice between divine intervention and "dumb luck" or "randomness". That is a theist invented false dilemma.

As I pointed out in another thread today, that there is no creative / sustaining intelligence behind reality does not make it "random". It does not mean there aren't natural patterns, laws, rhythms, that allow some useful predictions to be made and tested. It does not mean there is "no meaning" or "no purpose" -- just that those things comes from each of us, and is not externally bestowed (or imposed!) by some supposedly friendly actor. There is plenty of order, meaning and purpose to be discovered and embraced by each of us.

There is less control than most of us would like -- if I had the power, I would have intervened in my life, or, for that matter, yours, at a number of points, to make life better. So all the news is not good -- life doesn't owe us anything, does not come with any guarantees, and we die as we were born and as we lived -- alone. These are not pleasing, comforting lies but they are not the entire story either.

What the brain revolts against is lack of control and lack of design. It revolts because it means we lack as much control as we like in a universe that's not designed to make us the triumphant (or, at least, tragic) hero in our own personal stage drama. It reduces our personal importance, both absolutely and relative to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:49 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I thought it odd that so many atheists come out of their way to come here to attempt to discredit Christ.

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't care. Nothing like this would matter.

I mean, why would I care about what someone else believes?

In fact, some of them can get downright rude about it. But for some reason, atheists feel they have the right to do it.

Could it be they are searching for the truth?

Or maybe they see the truth, but they're fighting to submit to the one true God?

For all the atheists who lurk here, what do you say?
I was atheist, I was bat<bleep> crazy , there was a mocking element of fun in it all. Truth is I was afraid.

They attack Jesus because he is a threat to the ego.
Notice they never attack Buddha.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-27-2017 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-27-2017, 03:58 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I was atheist, I was batchit crazy , there was a mocking element of fun in it all. Truth is I was afraid.

How was Jesus a threat to your ego?

Old 12-27-2017, 04:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
How was Jesus a threat to your ego?
There are people on this very forum that claim they don't sin, that they are tight with God. It takes a humble person with no ego to admit they're a sinner and are not good enough on their own, but need a savior.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:13 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
I was atheist, I was batchit crazy , there was a mocking element of fun in it all. Truth is I was afraid.

Buddha isn't a Problem for us. Nor for that matter is Christ. It is Organized religion and particularly Christianity thatbis the problem, and it got a bigger problem over he last two decades.

If as an atheist (and we were all atheists until we were spoonfed religion) you were batchit crazy and Afraid, and religion gave you stability, I'm happy for you. It doesn't do a think to persuade me that Religion doesn't urgently need rolling back into the churches. Which should be taxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
There are people on this very forum that claim they don't sin, that they are tight with God. It takes a humble person with no ego to admit they're a sinner and are not good enough on their own, but need a savior.
It takes a rational person with no fake dogma of sin foisted on them to admit that we are all human and we do some good things and some bad, and we should learn and try to do better. Not to sign up to some religious club for a divine pardon for everything.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM

20,033 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
With NO ego? Is it even possible to be humble and claim to have NO ego?

It takes a person who is credulous concerning that dogma, but in my experience, people who admit they're a sinner can be very humble or insufferable sacks of arrogance -- or anything in between.

One way the latter can happen is that religion flatters the ego by telling you that you have esoteric knowledge that is hidden from others because god has by his unmerited favor (but favor nonetheless!) opened your eyes in preference to the eyes of others. I am ashamed to admit that it was a source of much pride to me in my youth that I had the Truth and was not going to mess my life up like those godless, rebellious, worldly so-and-sos. I felt quite smug about it, to tell the truth. As evidently do some Christians who come here gloating about the comeuppance that folks like me can look forward to.

Last edited by mordant; 12-27-2017 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 04:42 PM

50,869 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:

Perhaps because Buddha didn't base his teachings on magic.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:44 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Flogging yourself isn't everyone's idea of Christianity. One could make the case that by calling yourself a sinner you are, in fact, rejecting what Jesus did for you. If you call yourself a sinner are you then on your own? If you say you aren't then who have been made whole by Christ. See what I mean.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
With NO ego? Is it even possible to be humble and claim to have NO ego?

It takes a person who is credulous concerning that dogma, but in my experience, people who admit they're a sinner can be very humble or insufferable sacks of arrogance -- or anything in between.

One way the latter can happen is that religion flatters the ego by telling you that you have esoteric knowledge that is hidden from others because god has by his unmerited favor (but favor nonetheless!) opened your eyes in preference to the eyes of others. I am ashamed to admit that it was a source of much pride to me in my youth that I had the Truth and was not going to mess my life up like those godless, rebellious, worldly so-and-sos. I felt quite smug about it, to tell the truth. As evidently do some Christians who come here gloating about the comeuppance that folks like me can look forward to.
as smug as rejecting science that makes it hard to sell atheism? seems to me you changed belief but kept the smug. shun, minimize, and avoid anything that doesn't support a statement of belief.

fundy/milli are the same type of people. they just have an different settling places for their addictions.

willful negligence is the closest thing to a sin i know.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:08 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
The way that post was written, one could assume the poster blames atheism for being crazy and doing crazy things against his or her interests. It's a point of view that is valid for him or her.

The next step in the right direction, once the person has decided that they won't stay young forever, would be to have somebody or something, religion first and then credit given to Jesus, reign them in.

When a person describes their past as "fun" and "crazy" it is automatically assumed by the faithful that this is a sin of the flesh and simply needs to end with forgiveness. What probably is happening is that they were doing things against their interest but called it fun and crazy, realized something needed to change either through the loss of something or someone, and needed the boundaries.

I think a person has a better chance of starting all over in a religious environment than just anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality