Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That American flag looks out of place in this photo.
Well..ya know.....Revelation mentions 'merica so much.....

Old 09-18-2018, 11:06 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That American flag looks out of place in this photo.
I think the American flag is a nice counterpoint, helping American Jews recognize the validity of feeling an affinity for two different countries. What I don't understand is why there is that gold thing in the background. It seems totally out of place.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM

33,249 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wishing all a Shanah Tovah and to those who choose an easy fast. I wrote a little message below concerning my beginning of year reflections, underneath the picture representing our great heritage.

Thoughts at the time of the equinox and the Jewish High Holy Days

This is always a bittersweet time of the year. The trite explanation is that the days of summer, beaches and frivolous fun yield to work. That is far too trite.

Of course daylight is dwindling and the thermometer is dropping. Though warm weather is far from over, I think the dwindling of daylight always casts, literally, a shadow. The coming of the Jewish holidays is inevitably a time of reflection and looking back; on who I’ve been, and who I could have been. To whom I could have been nicer, and for whom I could have done more. To my family, for whom I aspire, always, to be a better husband, parent and relative. And to snore less and walk less heavily, but I digress.

My sons are finished with college, though hopefully not their education. I am happier than ever with the three people most important to me, that being my wife of more than 27 years, and my two adult sons being home.

This year has seen some horrible tragedies, both among people close to me and within my congregation. For the people close to me I have tried to be there for them, to be of comfort and counsel for lives and careers senselessly cut short. Or who needed succor and healing from the ravages of time. For members of the community, the best I could be was a mourner. There was, literally, nothing more to say about the horrible death of Aaron Panken.

As to myself, I have had a good year; a smart recovery from a scary health episode, major weight loss and exercise increase, and early waking are just the start. My professional reunion with a long-time colleague has been exceedingly satisfying and intellectually stimulating. The same with my increased leisure reading. Through the latter, I feel that I am making up for somewhat wasted or unappreciated opportunities in college.

In the year to come, 5779, I hope to do even better for my family, friends and community.

jbgusa

A Shanah Tovah to you as well, Jbgusa.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I think the American flag is a nice counterpoint, helping American Jews recognize the validity of feeling an affinity for two different countries. What I don't understand is why there is that gold thing in the background. It seems totally out of place.
How long has it been there?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Wishing all a Shanah Tovah and to those who choose an easy fast. I wrote a little message below concerning my beginning of year reflections, underneath the picture representing our great heritage.

Thoughts at the time of the equinox and the Jewish High Holy Days

This is always a bittersweet time of the year. The trite explanation is that the days of summer, beaches and frivolous fun yield to work. That is far too trite.

Of course daylight is dwindling and the thermometer is dropping. Though warm weather is far from over, I think the dwindling of daylight always casts, literally, a shadow. The coming of the Jewish holidays is inevitably a time of reflection and looking back; on who I’ve been, and who I could have been. To whom I could have been nicer, and for whom I could have done more. To my family, for whom I aspire, always, to be a better husband, parent and relative. And to snore less and walk less heavily, but I digress.

My sons are finished with college, though hopefully not their education. I am happier than ever with the three people most important to me, that being my wife of more than 27 years, and my two adult sons being home.

This year has seen some horrible tragedies, both among people close to me and within my congregation. For the people close to me I have tried to be there for them, to be of comfort and counsel for lives and careers senselessly cut short. Or who needed succor and healing from the ravages of time. For members of the community, the best I could be was a mourner. There was, literally, nothing more to say about the horrible death of Aaron Panken.

As to myself, I have had a good year; a smart recovery from a scary health episode, major weight loss and exercise increase, and early waking are just the start. My professional reunion with a long-time colleague has been exceedingly satisfying and intellectually stimulating. The same with my increased leisure reading. Through the latter, I feel that I am making up for somewhat wasted or unappreciated opportunities in college.

In the year to come, 5779, I hope to do even better for my family, friends and community.

jbgusa

Can you tell us/me what happened 5,779 years ago? Is it the Jewish time of creation?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Can you tell us/me what happened 5,779 years ago? Is it the Jewish time of creation?
Yes, by legend. That's unnecessary to make the Bible a very important work.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, by legend.
Thank you.
Quote:
That's unnecessary to make the Bible a very important work.
Please elaborate.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:08 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
How long has it been there?
I don't know -- does that make any difference? If that is the case then the Israeli flag wouldn't make sense to you either. It is much more recent. If you can provide some sort of guidance about what makes something out of place then maybe I can understand why you apply that idea to one flag but not to an intrusive structure.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
That's unnecessary to make the Bible a very important work.
Please elaborate.
I'm glad you asked. By way of example and not limitation:
  1. Through the story of the Binding of Isaac, or Akeda, the Hebrews were taught to refrain from the practices of child sacrifice;
  2. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah teaches that sexual conduct by instinct must be kept under control;
  3. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah teaches that man, namely Abraham in that case, was and is free to argue with G-d;
  4. The Noahide Covenants and Ten Commandments contain the moral code used by many, if not all, civilized society;
  5. Moses' killing of the slave taskmaster shows the duty of people to stand up to injustice, even where that's very risky;
  6. The story of Korach warns us against the risks of populism;
  7. Leviticus contains commands to be fair in administering weights and measures;
  8. Leviticus contains the world's first relief for debtors;
  9. Leviticus contains prohibition against hurting the physically handicapped, long before the Americans With Disabilities Act; and
  10. Numbers and Deuteronomy place limits on mourning the dead, so the business of life can continue.
Need I go on?

What about some discussion of the values expressed in the OP?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you asked. By way of example and not limitation:
  1. Through the story of the Binding of Isaac, or Akeda, the Hebrews were taught to refrain from the practices of child sacrifice;
  2. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah teaches that sexual conduct by instinct must be kept under control;
  3. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah teaches that man, namely Abraham in that case, was and is free to argue with G-d;
  4. The Noahide Covenants and Ten Commandments contain the moral code used by many, if not all, civilized society;
  5. Moses' killing of the slave taskmaster shows the duty of people to stand up to injustice, even where that's very risky;
  6. The story of Korach warns us against the risks of populism;
  7. Leviticus contains commands to be fair in administering weights and measures;
  8. Leviticus contains the world's first relief for debtors;
  9. Leviticus contains prohibition against hurting the physically handicapped, long before the Americans With Disabilities Act; and
  10. Numbers and Deuteronomy place limits on mourning the dead, so the business of life can continue.
Need I go on?

What about some discussion of the values expressed in the OP?
Yes, it's always interesting to see how human's values have evolved or have remained static over 5,778 +/- years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality