Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:57 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Wishing all a Shanah Tovah and to those who choose an easy fast. I wrote a little message below concerning my beginning of year reflections, underneath the picture representing our great heritage.

Thoughts at the time of the equinox and the Jewish High Holy Days

This is always a bittersweet time of the year. The trite explanation is that the days of summer, beaches and frivolous fun yield to work. That is far too trite.

Of course daylight is dwindling and the thermometer is dropping. Though warm weather is far from over, I think the dwindling of daylight always casts, literally, a shadow. The coming of the Jewish holidays is inevitably a time of reflection and looking back; on who I’ve been, and who I could have been. To whom I could have been nicer, and for whom I could have done more. To my family, for whom I aspire, always, to be a better husband, parent and relative. And to snore less and walk less heavily, but I digress.

My sons are finished with college, though hopefully not their education. I am happier than ever with the three people most important to me, that being my wife of more than 27 years, and my two adult sons being home.

This year has seen some horrible tragedies, both among people close to me and within my congregation. For the people close to me I have tried to be there for them, to be of comfort and counsel for lives and careers senselessly cut short. Or who needed succor and healing from the ravages of time. For members of the community, the best I could be was a mourner. There was, literally, nothing more to say about the horrible death of Aaron Panken.

As to myself, I have had a good year; a smart recovery from a scary health episode, major weight loss and exercise increase, and early waking are just the start. My professional reunion with a long-time colleague has been exceedingly satisfying and intellectually stimulating. The same with my increased leisure reading. Through the latter, I feel that I am making up for somewhat wasted or unappreciated opportunities in college.

In the year to come, 5779, I hope to do even better for my family, friends and community.

jbgusa

Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
''Next Year in Jerusalem.''

Or is it this year?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
That American flag looks out of place in this photo.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
American flag in Israel is not out of place at all. Here are more:

"Tel Aviv city hall, lit up in the colors of the American flag to honor the victims of the mass shooting in Las Vegas, on October 2, 2017. Tel Aviv’s city hall lit up in red, white and blue on Monday, in solidarity with the United States after a gunman killed at least 58 people and injured over 515 more in the worst mass shooting in the country’s history. The facade of the building displayed an American flag and an Israeli flag, toggling between the two, to show support after the Sunday night shooting in Las Vegas."

"American and Israeli flags displayed in the old city of Jerusalem"

"Israeli and US flags flutter atop the King David Hotel in Jerusalem"

"U.S. flag hangs next to an Israeli flag, by the entrance to the U.S. consulate in Jerusalem"

Jerusalem

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-17-2018 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 PM

LOL it's out of place no matter how much you want to convince me it's not.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:57 PM

22,197 posts, read 19,233,374 times
"The US and Israeli flags hang at the entrance of Jerusalem Municipality building"

Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
I hate winter.

I hate it with a damn passion that makes my feelings about religion seem like rainbows and lollipops by comparison.

Even now I feel this horrible sinking dread of just THINKING about seven goddamn months of freezing temperatures, living in a dead and desolate wasteland with the air smelling like the inside of my freezer. I get so sick of driving on icy roads, I get sick of being stuck indoors all the time as if I'm under house arrest, and I hate having to dress in so many layers of clothing that I feel like Neil Armstrong in his space suit on the surface of the moon (and winter is about as sterile and lifeless as the moon, too). I get so tired of living in a monochrome world -- as if I'm stuck in a black & white movie where everything is a shade of white, gray, and dirty brown. Everything is wet and damp all the time ...

Well, you get the idea.

The coming of winter is nothing to celebrate. Especially where I live ... where winter starts by Halloween and doesn't end until the first week of May. And then the cold, icy, drizzly rains come, the kind that keep the sky overcast for weeks and produces a chill that bypasses all clothing and buries itself right into your very soul.

All the hot showers and warm, fluffy blankets will never get rid of it.

And the heating bills. Jesus H. Christ ... the bills. *sigh*

Nothing to celebrate. Nope.

Something to dread.

But I do think the numbers are cool. 5779 .. like 1776.

Wheeeee!

I'm done.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
LOL it's out of place no matter how much you want to convince me it's not.
Why?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
I thought the same.

What the heck does American flag got to do with this?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why?
I am stunned that you even have to ask!

So would a Russian flag planted right next to an American flag here on US soil on New Years Day look out of place to you?

Moderator cut: Politics and off-topic

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Statements about weaponry are political and unrelated to a thread about Jewish New Year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.