Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 05:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
How long has it been there?
It is the Dome of the Rock...

The Dome of the Rock is an Islamic shrine located on the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem. It was initially completed in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik during the Second Fitna, built on the site of the Roman temple of Jupiter Capitolinus, which had in turn been built on the site … - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_of_the_Rock

Old 09-30-2018, 01:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I hate winter.

I hate it with a damn passion that makes my feelings about religion seem like rainbows and lollipops by comparison.
Shirina, at last we see eye to eye on something, except that you couldn't possibly hate winter as much as I do!

Old 10-01-2018, 07:12 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Deleted a number of political posts that had nothing to do with religion. Please take your "Thoughts on the New Year 5779 and Equinox" regarding politics to the P&OC forum.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-01-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
''Next Year in Jerusalem.''

Or is it this year?
I don't know why we still say it. Maybe the Hagaddah should be amended to reflect reality.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't know why we still say it. Maybe the Hagaddah should be amended to reflect reality.
The reality is Maschiach can appear at any moment.
The reality is this is a cornerstone of what we believe as Jews.

"Jerusalem means “the city of peace”—a place of peace between body and soul, heaven and earth, the ideal and reality. When our body becomes not a prison for the soul but rather a vehicle for the soul’s expression; when we live our lives according to our ideals rather than our cravings; when the world values goodness and generosity over selfish gain—then we are in Jerusalem, we are at peace with ourselves and the world."

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-Jerusalem.htm

Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Yesterday began the rain of the fall, what we would call the Pentecost of the fall season, the conclusion day of the Tabernacles season as Pentecost is the conclusion day of the Passover season, Shemini Atzeret is the day we pray for the double portion of rain to fall on our seed that our seed may die and bear fruit.

May everyone be blessed this year in the rain.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Moderator cut: Removed material that is essentially reposting moderator deleted material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Do you think that there are bases upon which we are right to feel an affinity for others? Geography?
It totally depends on the person.

Moderator cut: Totally off topic.

Moderator cut: Removed material that is essentially reposting moderator deleted material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
So I shouldn't feel more of a connection to my father than to a random guy on the street. Got it.
I'm not sure how you go from my statement quoted below to your conclusion above?

Quote:
"Instead a more healthy approach would be to feel affinity for all humans on earth not just humans who live in his or that country and who follow this or that religion. In fact I feel affinity for all living things on the earth...not just humans."
We were not discussing mother and father, sister or brother affinity. You were discussing affinity between 2 countries.

Moderator cut: This isn't the Politics forum.

Secondly, the US is not a predominantly Jewish nation. Not only this but a US flag seems out of place in a house of worship.

Moderator cut: More off topic material removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-01-2018 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Multiple edits

Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
OK, folks, the moderators have been called in again.

This isn't the Politics forum. It's over there: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

This forum is about Religion and Spirituality. If what you have in your mind for your next post is not relevant to Religion or Spirituality, think again before you post it.

There have been more than enough warnings.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:03 PM

It's just a picture man, why does it offend you?

The original post isn't about politics, I might have chosen the same picture to represent myself as an American whose heart was in Jerusalem.......The thread isn't about the picture.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's not just a picture.
Thanks but this does not answer my questions as to why the OP posted a photo of a US flag planted on another countries soil.
LOL. I have put up so many pictures making threads and I wished somebody made such a big deal about my pictures after I spent so much time choosing them, I like posting pics on threads, I don't see him doing it to start a debate though.....Hey, you can't let everything you see offend you, and everyone who posts is not obsessed with making political statements. Do you think the poster did it to offend somebody to begin a debate about Americans and Jews? I mean that would be cool, wouldn't be cool here, but I don't see him doing it for that reason, again, I might put the same exact pic, and it would honestly be me as a proud American and Whose religious beliefs or blood heritage made him loyal to both nations, I am an American loyal also to Israel....

I just think you are making way too much out of it, and I assume that it offends you that much, but I seriously doubt it was put up to make you fly into a political debates, it's just somebody who is proud of what he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality