Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 04:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times

Advertisements

"Of course we are diversified! You may have any color [vehicle] as long as it's black."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's not the message of the bumper sticker.

Find the commonalities and work together instead of dividing over the differences.
I'd say that's what humanism is about. If differing ideas about religionsor gods is dividing us, put them aside, and "let people believe what they want". That's absolutely what the bumper stickers should say. Instead the message is 'Make everybody the same under Jesus." Religion doesn't have to be divisive, but it is. You should be able to elect a president no matter what her ir his views on religion as that wouldn't matter. in the USA it is apparently the only thing that really matters.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I agree with you. And I'm not complaining, just making an observation. It really is not possible to suggest that all religions are equal, or correct when they are mutually exclusive.
No one said they are all equal or correct. I believe they all have some validity, because they all have an aspect of trying to be more than we are, to reach for something higher.

They are only mutually exclusive when they are declared to be exclusive.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd say that's what humanism is about. If differing ideas about religionsor gods is dividing us, put them aside, and "let people believe what they want". That's absolutely what the bumper stickers should say. Instead the message is 'Make everybody the same under Jesus." Religion doesn't have to be divisive, but it is. You should be able to elect a president no matter what her ir his views on religion as that wouldn't matter. in the USA it is apparently the only thing that really matters.
I was talking about the COEXIST bumper sticker, not the Jesus Saves one.

It's discouraging to see outsiders say things like you said above. There are so very many Americans for whom that is not true, but that's what so many focus on.

You really need to visit someplace like the NY/NJ metropolitan area, where I am from, or Vermont, which is rural but equally liberal and open-minded re religion.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one said they are all equal or correct. I believe they all have some validity, because they all have an aspect of trying to be more than we are, to reach for something higher.

They are only mutually exclusive when they are declared to be exclusive.
But putting them all on the same message/sticker/whatever does imply a certain equality. Several of them are mutually exclusive, and they do not view themselves as equal to any other. Ready the OT--Yahweh would not tolerate being paired with a false god. Ask a Muslim if their God is equal to Jesus.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
But putting them all on the same message/sticker/whatever does imply a certain equality. Several of them are mutually exclusive, and they do not view themselves as equal to any other. Ready the OT--Yahweh would not tolerate being paired with a false god. Ask a Muslim if their God is equal to Jesus.
You're still missing it, unsurprisingly.

It's not about who's less wrong than the other guy, it's about getting along.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I personally have always been turned off by religious signs. I'm not talking about words posted on the signs of churches as that makes sense to me. But bumper stickers, people standing on street corners with signs - those all make me feel like it's an advertisement for religion.

Is religion treated like substance abuse programs where it's a reach out like a helping hand? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx if you need help, etc. Do people need religion, and as such, am I being told I need Jesus? I suppose I personally don't feel I need a savior, and I guess that alone may make me feel negative. And I know there are lost people in the world, but who says what they need to help them?

I know I'm being cynical, but for whatever reason the appearance of religion being sold like used cars just turns me off.
Therein lays the dilemma: statements like “Jesus Saves!” presuppose that the reader thinks there is anything they need saving from. If they are told they need saving from “the wages of sin” or “eternal separation from god”, that rings hollow unless someone actually believes in hell, damnation, etc.

I wouldn’t exactly call it snake oil, because the evangelist truly believes in the power of their “product”, but it is a useless product unless a need for exists... or is created.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Therein lays the dilemma: statements like “Jesus Saves!” presuppose that the reader thinks there is anything they need saving from. If they are told they need saving from “the wages of sin” or “eternal separation from god”, that rings hollow unless someone actually believes in hell, damnation, etc.

I wouldn’t exactly call it snake oil, because the evangelist truly believes in the power of their “product”, but it is a useless product unless a need for exists... or is created.
I contend that most people have regrets in life and would be apt to ask their creator for forgiveness, at the end of their life, assuming they get that opportunity.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:28 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
That really tells us a lot.

Those are several different mutually exclusive things. They can't all be correct.
It doesn't matter if they are correct or not. The point of the bumper sticker is that all people self-identifying with ANY of those symbols all live right here on Earth together, so may as well learn to live and let live.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I contend that most people have regrets in life and would be apt to ask their creator for forgiveness, at the end of their life, assuming they get that opportunity.
You're close jimmiej, yet so far away.

You will confront yourself as you breathe your last - not your god-thing. You. A life mirror will hold your gaze and not let go. You will see yourself as you truly were - not as you hoped you appeared.

Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality