Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I get that. Yes, we can all get along very well. I have no problem with that. What I do have issue with is the notion that all beliefs are equally valid, or correct. They can't possibly be. While we need to accept each other, and make room for opposite beliefs, they are not all the same.

Having said that, such philosophy is not practiced here.
Yes, they can all be equally correct, assuming the level of correctness is "not at all".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:32 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
But putting them all on the same message/sticker/whatever does imply a certain equality. Several of them are mutually exclusive, and they do not view themselves as equal to any other. Ready the OT--Yahweh would not tolerate being paired with a false god. Ask a Muslim if their God is equal to Jesus.
How can you miss what is so obvious?

The coexist decal isn’t about value judgments. It isn’t stating religions are equal, or valid, or anything else. It says almost nothing about religion.

It acknowledges the existence of religion (see, no value judgment), and suggests that we get along despite the myriad of religions.

Let’s not fly planes into buildings. Let’s not commit genocide. Let’s not enforce our religious beliefs upon one another forcefully. You do your thing, I can do mine. You are free to think that I am doomed to hellfire and damnation, I am free to think you are squandering your life in abject subservience and fear, but we can still work together and be neighbors.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd say that's what humanism is about. If differing ideas about religionsor gods is dividing us, put them aside, and "let people believe what they want". That's absolutely what the bumper stickers should say. Instead the message is 'Make everybody the same under Jesus." Religion doesn't have to be divisive, but it is. You should be able to elect a president no matter what her ir his views on religion as that wouldn't matter. in the USA it is apparently the only thing that really matters.
Disagree that the message "coexist" means "make everybody the same under Jesus". Most of the symbols represent belief systems having nothing to do with belief in Jesus.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I contend that most people have regrets in life and would be apt to ask their creator for forgiveness, at the end of their life, assuming they get that opportunity.
Again, that presupposes a person actually believes such a scenario awaits them at death.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:25 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Again, that presupposes a person actually believes such a scenario awaits them at death.
Yes, it does and as I said, I believe that’s most people.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, it does and as I said, I believe that’s most people.

Most people in your church. That's not "most people."

Old 10-02-2018, 08:15 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

The coexist decal isn’t about value judgments. It isn’t stating religions are equal, or valid, or anything else. It says almost nothing about religion.

It acknowledges the existence of religion (see, no value judgment), and suggests that we get along despite the myriad of religions.

Let’s not fly planes into buildings. Let’s not commit genocide. Let’s not enforce our religious beliefs upon one another forcefully. You do your thing, I can do mine. You are free to think that I am doomed to hellfire and damnation, I am free to think you are squandering your life in abject subservience and fear, but we can still work together and be neighbors.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
But putting them all on the same message/sticker/whatever does imply a certain equality. Several of them are mutually exclusive, and they do not view themselves as equal to any other. Ready the OT--Yahweh would not tolerate being paired with a false god. Ask a Muslim if their God is equal to Jesus.
I don't think this way, BF.

I don't see that it implies an equality. That's not the point in my mind. I don't care about whether the different religions can be defined as "equal" or not. I work for Muslims. I would never ask them or any other Muslim I know such a question, for God's sake.

The point is that we are all thrown together with our different views, some of which are the same, some of which are not. Let's not only learn how to coexist, but let's figure out what we can do together when we focus on our mutually common goals.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Making the judgment that they are all equally valid is a judgement.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think this way, BF.

I don't see that it implies an equality. That's not the point in my mind. I don't care about whether the different religions can be defined as "equal" or not. I work for Muslims. I would never ask them or any other Muslim I know such a question, for God's sake.

The point is that we are all thrown together with our different views, some of which are the same, some of which are not. Let's not only learn how to coexist, but let's figure out what we can do together when we focus on our mutually common goals.
I get that. I really do. And I play nicely with others of different religions in the real world. In the IT business, I deal daily with all sorts of different Christian denominations, as well as Muslims, Hindus, and other religions. In practice, we all get along just fine, and we are respectful. I've had religious discussions with them, they know what I believe, I know what they believe, all is fine, and we move on.

In the artificial world of C-D, though...I really don't see that practiced here. I just don't. This forum is more about intolerant tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality