Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:15 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,433,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Wrong definition: "sin" would be the conscious choice to gratify a selfish desire at the expense of another person or the society.
So when an infant takes another infant's toy and refuses to give it back is that sin?

The point I am making and which you and those who agree with you aren't addressing is when does natural infant behavior become sin?

I'll ask again, can you make an effort to answer that?

I've been told we are born sinful. Others may think not. So when does the change take place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,008 times
Sin is rebellion towards God- in behavior, attitudes, speech and thought. We are all guilty.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sin is rebellion towards God- in behavior, attitudes, speech and thought. We are all guilty.

Nope. The only guilty ones are the ones who believe in your particular version of a god-thing.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
So when an infant takes another infant's toy and refuses to give it back is that sin?

The point I am making and which you and those who agree with you aren't addressing is when does natural infant behavior become sin?

I've been told we are born sinful. Others may think not. So when does the change take place?
If you believe that the taking infant can understand and relate to the pain he caused, you have a point. I don't believe that. The change takes place when those attributes of community mentioned before become conscious in the individual and are capable of being applied to less close relationships within that society. It starts with family and works outward, hopefully to the level Jesus spoke of in the last few verses of Matthew 5.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:

Pardon my interjection.
Thank you for the perspective concerning accountability in terms of age and cognitive development.

Being somewhat a rare case example from my personal early memories.
I had a cousin who was a month or so older than me.
At two or so yrs old I had a red car, it was a close replica of a 65 mustang. One day during a social event where both of us interacted I shared the toy.
Problem was he didn't give it back before leaving to go home.
So, skip forward a few yrs, possibly a decade or so and I was always looking forward to seeing him again thinking my cousin kept the toy and would return it to me the next time we saw each other.
Even at two yrs old this was my personal view.,"not taught"!

So, after a decade or so I was able to visit with my cousin at his house on a family occasion.
At one point during our visit I asked him to give the car back. To my surprise he had no idea what I was talking about even after explaining the details.

Now as an adult.

There is no way I could ever impute sin on my cousin for such a thing.

And Normal adults don't, as far as I know.

Yet, I've heard some disturbing statements of indifferent and cruel people who have no memory from their own childhood.

I could give countless examples from experience, that would conclusively destroy arguements given by supposed psychologist who are simply ignorant of tangible evidence.

But what do I know.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Nope, sin is not following the Torah...

Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nope, sin is not following the Torah...
When are you going to answer your own thread title about sin?

Cowards ask others to fight battles so that they can hide in safety.

What are You?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Being gay is not harmful to anyone. Attitudes ABOUT being gay are.
Negative attitudes ABOUT being gay.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
If you believe that the taking infant can understand and relate to the pain he caused, you have a point. I don't believe that. The change takes place when those attributes of community mentioned before become conscious in the individual and are capable of being applied to less close relationships within that society. It starts with family and works outward, hopefully to the level Jesus spoke of in the last few verses of Matthew 5.
Thanks to you and pinacled for your responses.

Would it be safe to say that in your theology mentally handicapped (retarded) people can be without sin, then?

Old 10-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks to you and pinacled for your responses.

Would it be safe to say that in your theology mentally handicapped (retarded) people can be without sin, then?
Depends on the circumstance and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality