Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:02 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,097,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Judaism teaches that human beings are not basically sinful. We come into the world neither carrying the burden of sin committed by our ancestors nor tainted by it. Rather, sin, chet, is the result of our human inclinations, the yetzer, which must be properly channeled. - https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...h-view-of-sin/

It is not really difficult if one desires to be a good person...
So what Adam did in heaven was a sin or not?

Matter of fact, I am totally blank from this aspect of Judaism. Does the story of Adam even exist in Judaism? If yes, what’s it’s summary and who is Satan? A fallen angel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So what Adam did in heaven was a sin or not?

Matter of fact, I am totally blank from this aspect of Judaism. Does the story of Adam even exist in Judaism? If yes, what’s it’s summary and who is Satan? A fallen angel?
I'd like to hear that, too. I'd suppose that in Judaism, Adam did nothing in heaven. He died, and remains in the earth like all others who have died, awaiting Final resurrection (1). Satan, other than as a rather shapeless 'adversary' of God and all His works, does not exist as the leader of the heavenly rebellion, which provided God with unpaid staff for his eternal furnaces for the torment of sinners (that is, non believers). But Richard will tell us.

(1) Though Paul's theory seems to reflect a belief (perhaps Pharisaical) that Adam's spirit went to heaven after eventual death, came back as King David (as a Messiah) went back to heaven and came back as Jesus to atone (as son of man [Adam] and concurrently, son of David by heavenly descent, not genealogy) for the original disobedience, thus wiping out Sin.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-07-2018 at 04:02 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'd like to hear that, too. I'd suppose that in Judaism, Adam did nothing in heaven. He died, and remains in the earth like all others who have died, awaiting Final resurrection (1). Satan, other than as a rather shapeless 'adversary' of God and all His works, does not exist as the leader of the heavenly rebellion, which provided God with unpaid staff for his eternal furnaces for the torment of sinners (that is, non believers). But Richard will tell us.

(1) Though Paul's theory seems to reflect a belief (perhaps Pharisaical) that Adam's spirit went to heaven after eventual death, came back as King David (as a Messiah) went back to heaven and came back as Jesus to atone (as son of man [Adam] and concurrently, son of David by heavenly descent, not genealogy) for the original disobedience, thus wiping out Sin.
According to the Torah, Satan is not an enemy of G-d, he works for G-d to do G-d’s bidding, this is portrayed in Job most effectively, in fact, the word satan in Hebrew, meaning “adversary”, is employed ten times throughout the entire Tanakh, four times as an adjective, four times as a verb and two times it is personified...

Old 10-07-2018, 09:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
There is no proof that he studied under Gamaliel or that he was a Rabbi...And, yes, we can be good on our own...
There is no more reason to believe Paul did not study under Gamaliel than there is to believe any of your go-to Rabbis are correct.

And no--I've shown you from the Jewish Scriptures where your own prophets said man's heart is wicked and no one seeks God. You can believe it, or you can choose to ignore what God has said through his prophets.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,071,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
There is no more reason to believe Paul did not study under Gamaliel than there is to believe any of your go-to Rabbis are correct.

And no--I've shown you from the Jewish Scriptures where your own prophets said man's heart is wicked and no one seeks God. You can believe it, or you can choose to ignore what God has said through his prophets.
Well, being that the Tanakh is OUR book and not yours it would be better understood through the Jewish Rabbis and not through Gentile Christians...Paul merely claims to have studied under Gamaliel and as a Pharisee not a Rabbi...Rabbis came about later...And, yes, we have the ability to be good...

Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,492,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

LOL, now there are some things I never even heard of before.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
Without evil in the world would we really know what righteousness is?...
Sorry it took me so long.
This is an issue....if you continue thinking in a dualistic way, (black white, bad good, up down) ...then, as you believe this will be true.
In the One...the Absolute...where there is no time, space, past present....only Light, the One...
you would not be asking this question.

Whether Christian or Jew...one must reach a point of the One being All That Is...is there evil?...
Is there darkness?
Yes, in the Dream that this psycho planet, 3rd dimension is...yes....go beyond the Dream, my buddy,
(aka Illusion, Maya).

Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, now there are some things I never even heard of before.
Well, where have you been? This is old news!

Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
According to the Torah, Satan is not an enemy of G-d, he works for G-d to do G-d’s bidding, this is portrayed in Job most effectively, in fact, the word satan in Hebrew, meaning “adversary”, is employed ten times throughout the entire Tanakh, four times as an adjective, four times as a verb and two times it is personified...
Yes. While far be it from me to try to instruct Jews in their own Book (I get into enough trouble trying to instruct Christians) Job does make Satan look like an adversary - someone (or someThing) trying to undermine God and mess up his organisation. Rather reminds me of Milo in Catch 22. He doesn't so much oppose him, nor does he act as a gofor. Rather he bamboozles a not -too brilliant commander into giving him a free hand.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I agree! 100%, Richard.

Of course we have that definition that apparently comes from Greek translations it's
just 'missing the mark.
I don't use the word 'sin'...I do make mistakes, tho....but, even then my so-called mistakes were perfect for me to learn from!
Sometimes, for the other person to learn forgiveness.
See? Life is really so simple.
I don't recall anything in the scripture about missing the mark.

Though there is something about the hardness of the heart that seems more closely related to sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality