Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And your reason for not believing? Because someone told you there aren't any?
<intercepting a softball thrown to Rafius>

To the contrary. Many people have told me that there are demons. However, those people tend to be rather gullible and not very discriminating in their beliefs, so I tend to take this into account when evaluating their statements. Add to that the complete lack of actual evidence for demons, and it is a rational conclusion that they don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 01:36 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

To the contrary. Many people have told me that there are demons. However, those people tend to be rather gullible and not very discriminating in their beliefs, so I tend to take this into account when evaluating their statements. Add to that the complete lack of actual evidence for demons, and it is a rational conclusion that they don't exist.
I don't know what you mean by "evidence." No double blind controlled experiments? Well, that is not the kind of thing people do research on. Experiential evidence? All through the ages, all times and places, they have been experienced.

There are all kinds of things scientists have never researched. It would be crazy to say none of those things are real. Some are, some aren't.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:

How about the fact that we have this detailed information about demons in the first place, as evidence they exist?!!! LOL

In order for us to have this information, someone at some point, had to summon the demon, figure out how to do that too.

Plus, you have to take into consideration, demons do not really want people to believe they exist, they are most effective when majority of people do not believe they exist, kind of like decades past, when the 'scientific cause' of many diseases, illnesses...was demonic...fast forward to today, rarely does anyone blame demons for mental problems or other diseases. (gee, I wonder why that is?)!!

I sometimes think those people in the past were right all along...demons ARE the cause of some of these things and its only modern mankind that finds another 'less demonic' culprit.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was reading thru a 'compendium of demons' earlier, which basically lists what rank they hold among some other information, this is an example of one below.

The question is, how do we know these things (like the form they take when they are called upon), or what it means that they 'teach' certain things, apparently this demon teaches arts and mysteries of the sky (teaches this to whom?).

Another thing it mentions is the particular gift or power they can give man, this one is said to induce immortality, some other demons are said to make people invisible, others can change them into animals, etc, etc....again, where does this information come from? how do we know they bestow people with these things?

Allocer

Allocer

Allocer (also spelled Alocer or Alloces) is a demon whose title is Great Duke of Hell, and who has thirty-six legions of demons under his command. He induces people to immorality and teaches arts and all mysteries of the sky.
He is described as appearing in the shape of a knight mounted on an enormous horse. His face has leonine characteristics; he has a ruddy complexion and burning eyes; and he speaks with much gravity. He is said to provide good familiars, and to teach astronomy and liberal arts. Allocer is often depicted riding a horse with dragon legs.

EASY ANSWER is THEY DO NOT EXISTS...go to bed and get some sleep/.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
How about the fact that we have this detailed information about demons in the first place, as evidence they exist?!!! LOL

In order for us to have this information, someone at some point, had to summon the demon, figure out how to do that too.

Plus, you have to take into consideration, demons do not really want people to believe they exist, they are most effective when majority of people do not believe they exist, kind of like decades past, when the 'scientific cause' of many diseases, illnesses...was demonic...fast forward to today, rarely does anyone blame demons for mental problems or other diseases. (gee, I wonder why that is?)!!

I sometimes think those people in the past were right all along...demons ARE the cause of some of these things and its only modern mankind that finds another 'less demonic' culprit.
There is also detailed information and writing about spider-man...

Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Our modern mythology says that we humans are in control, we don't have anything to worry about from spirits. Even people who are religious or spiritual tend to think this way. It is comforting. In ancient and prehistoric times, people weren't so anxious to be comforted and reassured. They sensed evil influences from the spirit worlds, and they tried to fight them.

There are a small number of modern psychiatrists who think some mental illness is caused by spirit possession. I definitely agree with them. It is the simplest and best explanation for the mystery of mental illness, which modern psychiatry has no good explanations for.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:

That is so cute! You really believe this happened. Awe, I want to pat you on the head.

Quote:

There are a small number of modern psychiatrists who think some mental illness is caused by spirit possession. I definitely agree with them. It is the simplest and best explanation for the mystery of mental illness, which modern psychiatry has no good explanations for.
Simplest and best explanation, except for those based on actual science. You know, the ones that have chemical imbalance as cause, with that chemical imbalance being treatable with appropriate prescription drugs.

But go ahead and inscribe pentagrams on the floor with chalk. That should work equally well.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
That is so cute! You really believe this happened. Awe, I want to pat you on the head.

Simplest and best explanation, except for those based on actual science. You know, the ones that have chemical imbalance as cause, with that chemical imbalance being treatable with appropriate prescription drugs.

But go ahead and inscribe pentagrams on the floor with chalk. That should work equally well.
There is absolutely no evidence of mental illness being caused by chemical imbalance. Even psychiatrists have discarded that old idea.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely no evidence of mental illness being caused by chemical imbalance. Even psychiatrists have discarded that old idea.

Environmental factors are included here: https://www.healthline.com/health/bi...bipolar-causes

Interestingly, I saw no mention of demons.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 PM

6,871 posts, read 4,873,766 times
They are given whatever power a novelist decides to give them.😁
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality