Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 04:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

This morning I attended a more evangelical style church. Something I had not done in a while. In my mind, during the last few weeks, I have been convincing myself that they were really not so bad. But I rediscovered that they are not for me. The opening songs and hymns were great. All about Jesus and his love. But the sermon really let me down. Nothing at all about love. Nothing about how to treat people, nor any encouragement to do good works. Nothing biblical in the message, though a long passage was read, and just very depressing. Just the redemptive role of Jesus that everyone better get in line with, or else. Nothing that I ever found in my Bible readings.

I also would like to offer an apology to the non-religious people I have offended during this time, while in this frame of mind in these recent weeks. They already knew what I had forgotten. Please forgive me. I hope I don't fall back into that thinking ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 04:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thank you for your kind post. It is greatly appreciated. That said, you haven't offended me (though I may have offended you ) and I'm sure no other atheists here. We have all enjoyed the exchanges (on our side at any rate) and the remark I made, that without theists to argue with, atheists would become extinct, is actually true.

For my part, I have always considered you an ok guy and a worthy opponent, and while I don't feel I have anything to apologise for (I don't think you do either ) any cutting remarks I may have made were not intended to wound but just intended as a wake -up pinprick, perhaps.

I can further say that these weepy Dude -hugs are not to be considered pump priming for a deconversion, but perhaps a more open view of why atheists are the wall-pounding red -faced ranters that we are, and hopes of more exchanges of ideas and views both ways, even if not accepting them.

We can live with theists, if they can bring themselves to live with us.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
It's o.k., I might not have been around that much the past week but I find your circumstance very understandable. The love stuff is the marketing aspect and the wrath/hate/authoritarian stuff is the actual "good news" to most religious leaders, who might more often be "conservative" in terms of wanting to put themselves as leaders above others and sticking to the guns/authority/old (what they are taught about it, anyway) in the message.

"sweeten them up with all the love stuff, and then give them a slap across the face with our tough truth!"

Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
2. Hae Dada Bhagwan! Mane koi pan dharma nu kinchit matra pan praman no dubhai, Na dubhavai, ke dubhava pratye no anumodai, evi param Shakti aapo. Mune koi pan dharma nu, kinchit matra pan praman na dubhai, evi syaad-vaad vani, syaad-vaad vartan ane syaad-vaad mannan karvaani param shakti aapo.
Dearest Dada Bhagwan! Give me the infinite inner strength not to hurt, nor cause someone to hurt, nor provoke anyone to hurt even to the slightest extent, the foundation of any religion.
Give me the infinite strength not to hurt, even to the slightest extent, the foundation of any religion and that I conduct my speech, thoughts and action in a manner that is accepted by all.
3. Hae Dada Bhagwan! Mane koi pan deh-dhari oopdeshak, sadhu, sadhvi, aacharya no, avarnavaad, apraadh, avinay na karvaani param shakti aapo.
Dearest Dada Bhagwan! Give me the infinite inner strength not to criticize, offend or insult any living monk, nun, preacher or religious head.

As of your post... you did know it WILL end like that, didn't you? So why did you? I know, and I do not.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This morning I attended a more evangelical style church. Something I had not done in a while. In my mind, during the last few weeks, I have been convincing myself that they were really not so bad. But I rediscovered that they are not for me. The opening songs and hymns were great. All about Jesus and his love. But the sermon really let me down. Nothing at all about love. Nothing about how to treat people, nor any encouragement to do good works. Nothing biblical in the message, though a long passage was read, and just very depressing. Just the redemptive role of Jesus that everyone better get in line with, or else. Nothing that I ever found in my Bible readings.

I also would like to offer an apology to the non-religious people I have offended during this time, while in this frame of mind in these recent weeks. They already knew what I had forgotten. Please forgive me. I hope I don't fall back into that thinking ever again.
Which doesn’t automatically mean that God does not exist.

You tried, it’s great. However it’s not the end of the world - it’s just a start.

I hope you will continue with your journey and find something that talks to your heart.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Which doesn’t automatically mean that God does not exist.

You tried, it’s great. However it’s not the end of the world - it’s just a start.

I hope you will continue with your journey and find something that talks to your heart.
Absolutely. The things written in an old book have no bearing on God.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
I have gone to SO many churches and I left in shock at the pastor's sermon...I could give blow by blow examples, but it's late...no inspiration at all! No upliftment even was given.
They often talk about the human predicament...ok....so what's the other side of the coin?
And it never comes!!!! It's quite shocking.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Absolutely. The things written in an old book have no bearing on God.
I don't believe in a god of course, but if I did, that's the view I'd take, too. I wouldn't want to stop them conducting their services however they want. But I'd want to see that it was kept in there.

That's what we are all about -not arguing whether there is some kind of god or not.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:01 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:

Is there a possibility of you providing the name of the church[Congregation and pastor you attended?

Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Is there a possibility of you providing the name of the church[Congregation and pastor you attended?
Sorry, but no.

I don't have a problem with the people who like that kind of message. My point is that it is just not for me. I want to be encouraged to share God's love. Some people might actually find some kind of encouragement in those messages. But I never have and never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality