Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Faith you refer to is simpler than your complex requirement to believe a lot of specific things ABOUT Jesus and God. It has nothing to do with those "precepts and doctrines of men." It is simply to have Faith that Jesus did what He said He did and we are reconciled to God by love.
What complex requirement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:55 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
The Faith you refer to is simpler than your complex requirement to believe a lot of specific things ABOUT Jesus and God. It has nothing to do with those "precepts and doctrines of men." It is simply to have Faith that Jesus did what He said He did and we are reconciled to God by love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
to believe a lot of specific things ABOUT Jesus and God.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
to believe a lot of specific things ABOUT Jesus and God.
I was hoping you would define that ^^^

Nevertheless, here’s what I believe.

Romans 10

“If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I was hoping you would define that ^^^

Nevertheless, here’s what I believe.

Romans 10

“If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
You keep trying to make our salvation conditional and dependent upon what WE do or think or believe, but it is NOT! Our salvation is ALL Jesus. We have nothing to do with it.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
You keep trying to make our salvation conditional and dependent upon what WE do or think or believe, but it is NOT! Our salvation is ALL Jesus. We have nothing to do with it.
Didn’t you say we must believe?

Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
I judge the belief by the person. I have known so many people in these kinds of churches. They are jerks. That's the nicest word I can use. I've also met a lot of their immediate family members. It's got to be something genetic. A cycle of emotional abuse or something which they have not yet gotten rid of. They are arrogant and treat people horribly. I've been astonished sometimes at the way they treat wait staff and customer service people. All I can think of is that they are so full of "junk" inside that they project that onto everyone else. They assume everyone is as messed up inside as they are. They even project these horrible qualities on God and Jesus.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, but NOT a bunch of "precepts and doctrines of men." We simply need to believe and have faith that Jesus did what He said He did and follow His instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:16 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Envy does make some apes want to hurt/oppress other apes.
But I think that religious thinking adds the connotation of group-consequence fear in order to legitimize itself by appealing to feelings.
"the gods will quake the earth!"
Oh I forgot to add: "but they have longstanding patience, until their wrath."
Which happens to make their actions too conviniently indistinguishable from random chance.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing he has some sort KJV Bibliolateristic Fundamentalism in mind. Likely the one version of "complex requirement" Christianity he has been exposed to the most.

But even my KJV Fundamentalists kept parroting the marketing mantra: "all you need is Jesus" and "convert now, Christianity is freer/simpler than other religions" but what they actually meant was "you need the KJV and our interpretation of it" and also "convert now, your money needs to go to us."

Money is what truly has the deep faith of world religions and even new cults right now.

Quote:
for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.” ~Paul
Quote:
"Many will call on my name [and even have supposed supernatural powers like exorcizing demons out of people and healing them in my name,] but I will look to many of them and say, 'depart from me, ye doer of inequity [to the poor and oppressed, etc], I never knew you.' ...So for the hypocrites and half-hearted name-calling cronies, there will be a fire" ~Jesus
So Paul is said to write: Namology, Namology! Faithful cronyism! The religion is simple!
And Jesus is quoted: Hell nah! [Namology is nothing but air! A faithful friend pays more than prayers!] I think we all know who won more converts to the "Jesus is the Jewish Messiah" idea in their lifetime.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 10-13-2018 at 04:39 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I judge the belief by the person. I have known so many people in these kinds of churches. They are jerks. That's the nicest word I can use. I've also met a lot of their immediate family members. It's got to be something genetic. A cycle of emotional abuse or something which they have not yet gotten rid of. They are arrogant and treat people horribly. I've been astonished sometimes at the way they treat wait staff and customer service people. All I can think of is that they are so full of "junk" inside that they project that onto everyone else. They assume everyone is as messed up inside as they are. They even project these horrible qualities on God and Jesus.
I think people all have "basic goodness" inside them (a social nature as other social animals), but they also have other "basic instincts" such as lashing out when they are in a bad mood. And telling each other that the world is garbage and that they are undeserving wrongdoers who should be perfect if they really believed in Jesus and had been born again (therefore telling them that their immortality is in jeopardy by their very human nature), or worse than that, telling them that their actions don't matter as long as they put some character named Jesus on their mind as perfect and having already chosen to save them, probably puts them in a very bad/selfish mood when they venture outside the ivory towers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality