Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:51 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don’t deny that man set up denominations, but Jesus established the church in general.
Nah, Paul did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There may be a god. It may be possible to contact that god. We atheists can't disprove that. We can be sure that no one man -made church is the Right one.

I rather suspect that the figure of Jesus might interest you more than it would the average "None", though.
Jesus interests many people because he represents the best of humanity. And I'm sure different churches and denominations project different qualities onto him. Each "Jesus" is a projection of the people of that church. The people at the one I visited were judgemental people. Which is why I didn't like it.

The "Jesus" depicted as judging humanity is not the same person in the gospels. That's a literal interpretation, and that is why I don't like churches that take everything so literally. I think even some charismatic/fundamentalist churches seem to have a more accurate view in their anything goes I'm gonna tell you what jesus is gonna do because he just told me. It's a more poetic thing and I think they understand that better.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Jesus interests many people because he represents the best of humanity. And I'm sure different churches and denominations project different qualities onto him. Each "Jesus" is a projection of the people of that church. The people at the one I visited were judgemental people. Which is why I didn't like it.

The "Jesus" depicted as judging humanity is not the same person in the gospels. That's a literal interpretation, and that is why I don't like churches that take everything so literally. I think even some charismatic/fundamentalist churches seem to have a more accurate view in their anything goes I'm gonna tell you what jesus is gonna do because he just told me. It's a more poetic thing and I think they understand that better.
The Jesus of the gospels is a savior, not a judge. It’s right there in John 3. The Jesus of Revelation is the judge.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
The Jesus of the gospels is a savior, not a judge. It’s right there in John 3. The Jesus of Revelation is the judge.
People always turn their messiahs into demigods (like Apollo). They did the same exact thing with Caesar who was their savior. Yet you don't even understand that Jesus represented a new political movement. Everyone during that time was worshipping Caesar. And I think you Jimmie would have been also because you have turned Jesus into another Beast just like Caesar. You should consider the possibility that your Jesus might be the antichrist.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:00 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Good point. If someone has to threaten you, then whatever they are selling is probably lousy.
The use of threats is how I know that the message being promoted is false.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What is the true message?
God is reconciled to humanity because Jesus has connected us all to God so God is NOT counting our sins against us. All the concern over sin is misguided. We are to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't because that connects us to Christ's perfect love (Grace) and God. That's the Good News we are to spread.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
People always turn their messiahs into demigods (like Apollo). They did the same exact thing with Caesar who was their savior. Yet you don't even understand that Jesus represented a new political movement. Everyone during that time was worshipping Caesar. And I think you Jimmie would have been also because you have turned Jesus into another Beast just like Caesar. You should consider the possibility that your Jesus might be the antichrist.
Your theology is so far out in left field, you’ve left the stadium.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God is reconciled to humanity because Jesus has connected us all to God so God is NOT counting our sins against us. All the concern over sin is misguided. We are to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't because that connects us to Christ's perfect love (Grace) and God. That's the Good News we are to spread.
The only thing you left out is that one must believe that, ie the faith that pleases God.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
I think on some level the fundamentalists actually ENVY the nonbelievers.

But if what you are saying were true, then I think that would be their subconscious goal.
Envy does make some apes want to hurt/oppress other apes.
But I think that religious thinking adds the connotation of group-consequence fear in order to legitimize itself by appealing to feelings.
"the gods will quake the earth!"

Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
The only thing you left out is that one must believe that, ie the faith that pleases God.
The Faith you refer to is simpler than your complex requirement to believe a lot of specific things ABOUT Jesus and God. It has nothing to do with those "precepts and doctrines of men." It is simply to have Faith that Jesus did what He said He did and we are reconciled to God by love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality