Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 03:26 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The redemptive role of Jesus is the basis of Christianity-you shouldn’t be surprised the pastor spoke about that. And yes, that message is all throughout the scriptures.
The substitutive role of Jesus as Christ Triumphant (our "designated hitter") NOT our sacrificial victim is the message Christ unambiguously demonstrated. Jesus did what we could NOT thereby saving us ALL from any need to be perfect. Thanks to Jesus, our imperfect love is sufficient to connect us to God through Christ's perfect love. That is why God is NOT counting our sins (imperfect love) against us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 03:40 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The substitutive role of Jesus as Christ Triumphant (our "designated hitter") NOT our sacrificial victim is the message Christ unambiguously demonstrated. Jesus did what we could NOT thereby saving us ALL from any need to be perfect. Thanks to Jesus, our imperfect love is sufficient to connect us to God through Christ's perfect love. That is why God is NOT counting our sins (imperfect love) against us.
Why must you kick aganst the goads?

“By His wounds we are healed”. 1 Peter 2 and Isaiah 53

“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3

Old 10-08-2018, 03:51 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Why must you kick against the goads?
“By His wounds we are healed”. 1 Peter 2 and Isaiah 53
“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3
Because despite the ignorant immature primitive beliefs of our ancestors, God does NOT hate, does NOT punish, and NEVER wanted any blood sacrifices of innocents for ANY reason, period. God IS agape love NOT hate. WE will punish ourselves through regret and remorse (weeping and gnashing of teeth) once we truly understand God's love and our failures (whenever that happens).

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-08-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 04:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Because despite the ignorant immature primitive beliefs of our ancestors, God does NOT hate, does NOT punish, and NEVER wanted any blood sacrifices of innocents for ANY reason, period. God IS agape love NOT hate. WE will punish ourselves through regret and remorse (weeping and gnashing of teeth) once we truly understand God's love and our failures (whenever that happens).
Mystic, it's spelled out so plainly in their own scriptures, yet they still refuse to believe. Some are eternally hopeless it seems.

Even many atheists seem to have this understanding of truth. Proof to me that God doesn't care what a person believes about the unknown.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Here’s what Jesus said about those you call “ancient ignorants”.

Luke 24

44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mystic, it's spelled out so plainly in their own scriptures, yet they still refuse to believe. Some are eternally hopeless it seems.

Even many atheists seem to have this understanding of truth. Proof to me that God doesn't care what a person believes about the unknown.
That’s laughable! The doctor’s theology is NOT based on scripture, but rather emotion.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:09 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
That’s laughable! The doctor’s theology is NOT based on scripture, but rather emotion.
At least our emotion has some kind of authority, as it comes from the heart which is center of our being. What gives your doctrine it's authority? Nothing.

This experience just helped remind me how much I dislike the kind of people who attend these kinds of churches. Besides, it's personal. I wasn't trying to start a debate thread. If you want to debate this issue, please start a different thread. Because your comments have been off topic.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
At least our emotion has some kind of authority, as it comes from the heart which is center of our being. What gives your doctrine it's authority? Nothing.

This experience just helped remind me how much I dislike the kind of people who attend these kinds of churches. Besides, it's personal. I wasn't trying to start a debate thread. If you want to debate this issue, please start a different thread. Because your comments have been off topic.
My authority is the holy scriptures. And you started this argument by saying the redemtive work of Christ is not Biblical.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
The redemptive role of Jesus is the basis of Christianity-you shouldn’t be surprised the pastor spoke about that. And yes, that message is all throughout the scriptures.
In Islam, it's the redemptive role of Allah. And I don't think that therefore colors your view of Islam as "all Merciful, all Deserving." So why you might suggest it would for Christianity's sins/failings, I can only make an educated guess that it is due to bias such as in-group well-wishing.

I believe Apollo was known as Apollo the Redemer, the Mediator to Zeus the Father, etc. etc.

The religions were developed to get people to stop worrying about the only obviously real life by thinking that doing and believing certain things made them "redeemed" in some mystical overarching scheme and that sacrificing from themselves was helping the over-arching "good fate" for their selfish motives of blissful immortality and trotting on their enemies instead of fostering mutual respectful education.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
My authority is the holy scriptures. And you started this argument by saying the redemtive work of Christ is not Biblical.
You holding your religious scriptures hostage to your interpretation and in high esteem doesn't mean that you (or your group) aren't merely paying lip-service to your own prideful wishes for authority/power.

The "redemptive" work of Christ is very Biblical (New Testament from Paul, and I'd think definitely the Gospel of John). But the Messiah in the Old Testament had many prophecies about what they would do, and one of them wasn't "will ask for your worship of his 'son-aspect/humanized-aspect' or send your Jewish ass to hell for denying Jesus while not denying Yahweh."

I am not sure if the Messiah was supposed to "redeem" the Jewish people at that point other than making non-Jews look up to them and passing the cup of suffering&servitude to the enemies of the Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality