Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 04:35 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
We all know that plants and animals have been bred with artificial selection. That is completely different from the idea that all species were created by chance and natural selection.

And breeders have never created a new more complex species, by the way.
Done in 1905.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
There is no evidence at all that it does. And there are many reasons to think that it doesn't.
So you keep asserting while ignoring 70 years of actual evidence.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
There are NO observations or research showing consciousness and awareness being a product of the mind. None. So why do you keep saying it?

As for AI being possible -- the fact that it does not exist means you do not know if it is possible or not. You have no reason to think it's possible, except that it would support your materialist theory.

AI becoming real in the future is a materialist myth. So is the idea of completely understanding the brain.
That is why you are avoiding the science section with your nonsense. Because there you would probably get banned.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:45 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is also the fact that brain surgery can be done with the patient awake and electrodes used to stimulate specific areas of the brain, during which the patient can tell the surgeon what experiences the stimulation elicits.
Tru dat. And in the other direction, there is the fact that consciousness temporarily shuts down when the brain is at rest (e.g., during sleep, or under anesthesia), and then restores when we awaken. These are reproducible, measurable observations (aka "evidence") in each of us, and not anecdotes with N=1.

As I said, Good4Nothin needs to look no further than himself to begin seeing evidence. I remain interested to know where his intelligence and consciousness come from, if not from his own brain.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
G4N,

Let’s try a small thought experiment, roughly modeling the scientific method.

My hypothesis is that consciousness exists, and it originates in the brain.

My hypothesis is scientific because it is testable and falsifiable. We can do various experiments to test the correlation between brains and consciousness, measure things, look at response times, etc. we can continue these tests to see if any if the consciousness outputs occur in the absence of a brain.

It is also falsifiable, because if can be shown that consciousness arises elsewhere, I ,use abandon my hypothesis.

I can expand on this, and will do so if you are willing to engage in conversation along these lines.

Would you care to set up your hypothesis in a similar manner?

Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Done in 1905.
No not done.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Tru dat. And in the other direction, there is the fact that consciousness temporarily shuts down when the brain is at rest (e.g., during sleep, or under anesthesia), and then restores when we awaken. These are reproducible, measurable observations (aka "evidence") in each of us, and not anecdotes with N=1.

As I said, Good4Nothin needs to look no further than himself to begin seeing evidence. I remain interested to know where his intelligence and consciousness come from, if not from his own brain.
Our conscious experiences react to what happens to the brain. This is obvious, never questioned. So why use it as evidence that the brain creates consciousness?

And you have no reason to think consciousness shuts down when the brain is anesthetized or sleeping. As I kept explaining -- the brain has to be awake and functioning for a person to communicate. You don't know if the anesthetized patient is conscious or not. And people very often report hearing conversations while supposedly unconscious under anesthesia.

It is very easy to make these logical mistakes when trying to understand how consciousness relates to the brain. And these errors are part of the foundation of modern materialism.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
G4N,

Let’s try a small thought experiment, roughly modeling the scientific method.

My hypothesis is that consciousness exists, and it originates in the brain.

My hypothesis is scientific because it is testable and falsifiable. We can do various experiments to test the correlation between brains and consciousness, measure things, look at response times, etc. we can continue these tests to see if any if the consciousness outputs occur in the absence of a brain.

It is also falsifiable, because if can be shown that consciousness arises elsewhere, I ,use abandon my hypothesis.

I can expand on this, and will do so if you are willing to engage in conversation along these lines.

Would you care to set up your hypothesis in a similar manner?
No one can do that experiment, and if they could it would have been done. You can show correlations but not causations.

The mind needs a brain to interact with this world. Just as it needs a physical body. The brain is part of the body.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:41 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Our conscious experiences react to what happens to the brain. This is obvious, never questioned. So why use it as evidence that the brain creates consciousness?

And you have no reason to think consciousness shuts down when the brain is anesthetized or sleeping. As I kept explaining -- the brain has to be awake and functioning for a person to communicate. You don't know if the anesthetized patient is conscious or not. And people very often report hearing conversations while supposedly unconscious under anesthesia.

It is very easy to make these logical mistakes when trying to understand how consciousness relates to the brain. And these errors are part of the foundation of modern materialism.
Please define conscious, because I do not think you understand the meaning of the word.

Conscious:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/conscious

"Aware of and responding to one's surroundings."

If you are conscious while you are supposedly anesthetized then the anesthesia was not properly administered.

You still have not answered the question: If not the brain, what produces consciousness? Nearby rocks? The atmosphere? How does that work?

Old 10-25-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Please define conscious, because I do not think you understand the meaning of the word.

Conscious:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/conscious

"Aware of and responding to one's surroundings."

If you are conscious while you are supposedly anesthetized then the anesthesia was not properly administered.

You still have not answered the question: If not the brain, what produces consciousness? Nearby rocks? The atmosphere? How does that work?
I don't know how you could not know any other theories about consciousness. Maybe you have been too walled off in your little atheist world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality