Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Our conscious experiences react to what happens to the brain. This is obvious, never questioned. So why use it as evidence that the brain creates consciousness?

And you have no reason to think consciousness shuts down when the brain is anesthetized or sleeping. As I kept explaining -- the brain has to be awake and functioning for a person to communicate. You don't know if the anesthetized patient is conscious or not. And people very often report hearing conversations while supposedly unconscious under anesthesia.

It is very easy to make these logical mistakes when trying to understand how consciousness relates to the brain. And these errors are part of the foundation of modern materialism.
No. Your logic is wrong. The logical assumption is that consciousness does shut down when unconscious or sleeping. The subconscious takes over with that odd 'dream' phenomena, but even then, I have reason to know, sound can penetrate into the dream and cause the conscious mind to kick in, wake you up, and the mind realises what the sound was.

What's the alternative to explain that? I don't know, and even if you could provide a mechanism it would still logically take second place to the one that explains better.

It's the same with an anaesthetised person. whether they are thought to be conscious or not has nothing to do with any evidence that consciousness is not produced by the brain. You seem to misunderstand the basic logic of the Burden of proof and the principle of parsimony. The only way an extra entity (outside origin of consciousness) is adduced or it is supposed that not having all the answers somehow means that YOUR explanation is the true one, is, I am sure (as it is pretty much par for the course) because you believe (on Faith) that you have the answer that science doesn't.

Come on, isn't that it?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:06 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
No not done.
De Vries and his doubled chromosome count in Oenothera gigas. When was that, I hear you say? Why, it was in 1905.

Once again you display your ignorance. Once again you ignore the science, this time from over 110 years ago. Once again you invent.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Our conscious experiences react to what happens to the brain. This is obvious, never questioned. So why use it as evidence that the brain creates consciousness?

And you have no reason to think consciousness shuts down when the brain is anesthetized or sleeping. As I kept explaining -- the brain has to be awake and functioning for a person to communicate. You don't know if the anesthetized patient is conscious or not. And people very often report hearing conversations while supposedly unconscious under anesthesia.

It is very easy to make these logical mistakes when trying to understand how consciousness relates to the brain. And these errors are part of the foundation of modern materialism.
You getting your first sentence wrong is our logical mistake? Your error is the foundation of modern materialism? I bet it is also our fault you ignore the science and make things up?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
No one can do that experiment, and if they could it would have been done. You can show correlations but not causations.

The mind needs a brain to interact with this world. Just as it needs a physical body. The brain is part of the body.
Once again the assertion with absolutely NO evidence that the mind is separate from the body.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know how you could not know any other theories about consciousness. Maybe you have been too walled off in your little atheist world.
So you can not define consciousness, hence the inevitable attack.

Still, anything except answering this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You still have not answered the question: If not the brain, what produces consciousness? Nearby rocks? The atmosphere? How does that work?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:46 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
De Vries and his doubled chromosome count in Oenothera gigas. When was that, I hear you say? Why, it was in 1905.

Once again you display your ignorance. Once again you ignore the science, this time from over 110 years ago. Once again you invent.
In general, we have not seen new more complex types of animals or plants created by breeding. Just variations of existing types.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you can not define consciousness, hence the inevitable attack.

Still, anything except answering this ...
If we can't give you a specific and detailed answer about something people have wondered about over the ages, that means your wild guess must be correct???

Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
I don't know how you could not know any other theories about consciousness. Maybe you have been too walled off in your little atheist world.
All I asked was for you to give us your definition of the word conscious, since it does not seem to be the accepted definition used by the rest of the English speaking world. Since you have not defined either mind or conscious I can only assume that you are unable to provide definitions for either.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All I asked was for you to give us your definition of the word conscious, since it does not seem to be the accepted definition used by the rest of the English speaking world. Since you have not defined either mind or conscious I can only assume that you are unable to provide definitions for either.
You have severely limited your education somehow.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Ok, SuzyQ, there are different kinds of consciousness. Are you conscious when you are dreaming? When you are daydreaming? While in non-REM sleep? When under general anesthesia? How would a researcher know what a person is experiencing?

There have been many reports of surgery patients hearing doctors talk while they were assumed to be unconscious. For example.

Do plants have consciousness? How would we know? Does the universe have consciousness? Well that was the subject of this post. Many people would say yes, but atheist/materialists say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality