Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 10:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Of course this 'theory' does not tell us why we need to learn instead of just receiving knowledge from this cosmic entity. Or why we had to invent science, mathematics, logic and language in the first place.

Mystic has to invent ad hoc explanations as he goes along to explain away problems as they appear. Notable was when I raised animal 'consciousness' as part of the 'consciousness evolved with life' argument. Mystic then argued that the Universal consciousness is not universal (not to notice, anyway) but clusters about each individual (what I call the 'gnatswarm' theory). This will be seen to be very much in the line of 'take what science can show and then fiddle in God' apologetic. Mystic has consistently denied that this development wasn't invented to get over my objection.

The radio transceiver argument appeared (though it may have been part of the original theory (1) to get over garbled messages from the consciousness. It had to be argued that the human mental organs were not inventing ideas that were just wrong, but the true messages were being garbled by the mental radio - receiver components. And Mystic can't see why I'm laughing at him. And I laugh even louder when he draws himself up, looks down his nose at me and tells me how much better educated he is than I am. And I'm not the only one.

(1) of course i use the term in its' popular synonym for 'hypothesis' or 'just an idea but it goes together with 'Crackpot" like 'cult' and 'looney'.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Of course this 'theory' does not tell us why we need to learn instead of just receiving knowledge from this cosmic entity. Or why we had to invent science, mathematics, logic and language in the first place.
That statement makes no sense. There is no reason to think that we have access to higher levels of intelligence. Our intelligence is limited by the level we inhabit.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Please give us the evidence to substantiate this claim that there are 'higher levels of intelligence'.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think they are, aren't they. Moss, lichens and moulds are in the plant family? Nobody's going to tell me a mushroom's an animal.
Fungi are not plants neither. I am not sure on algae as it is a big group with no parent.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Fungi are not plants neither. I am not sure on algae as it is a big group with no parent.
http://botanistbackyard.blogspot.com...of-plants.html

Definitely in the plant line. Living fossils, really. Ferns and the like during plants and reptiles taking over the land, flowers and grass appearing in the Jurassic. Only then did insects adapt to feeding off plants and plants adapt to attracting insects for pollination.

It's amazing, and I can see how some would ask 'How could they decide to do that without a Mind having it that way?' But natural selection explains it very well.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That statement makes no sense.
Really? That is your problem, not mine.

Let me explain. If there is some superior universal consciousness working through us, then it must know things we do not. It should already be aware of science and mathematics, so we should not need to invent these tools. This IS what we would expect if our conscious brain was evolving over time.

Quote:
There is no reason to think that we have access to higher levels of intelligence.
Nothing to do with what I said, but it does once again leave you in the position of having to answer how you know it is there?

Quote:
Our intelligence is limited by the level we inhabit.
So your alleged external consciousness has no ability to improve our intelligence; or to use what we have to let us know it is there, while avoiding the problem of cognitive bias. Why, this is exactly what we would expect if your alleged external consciousness did not exist.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I said implications and I meant implications. I am a linguist.
Then you understand the difference between imply and infer.

Quote:
Oh you can? Aspects of consciousness? Well maybe you should tell the world, because the world has not heard about this.
This has been studied for at least 20 years now.

And it is strange how I earn good money from doing exactly this (although on a small scale).

But as you have just admitted you are ignorant about what you speak, we can now just dismiss your assertions from now on.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Mystic has to invent ad hoc explanations as he goes along to explain away problems as they appear. Notable was when I raised animal 'consciousness' as part of the 'consciousness evolved with life' argument. Mystic then argued that the Universal consciousness is not universal (not to notice, anyway) but clusters about each individual (what I call the 'gnatswarm' theory). This will be seen to be very much in the line of 'take what science can show and then fiddle in God' apologetic. Mystic has consistently denied that this development wasn't invented to get over my objection.

The radio transceiver argument appeared (though it may have been part of the original theory (1) to get over garbled messages from the consciousness. It had to be argued that the human mental organs were not inventing ideas that were just wrong, but the true messages were being garbled by the mental radio - receiver components. And Mystic can't see why I'm laughing at him. And I laugh even louder when he draws himself up, looks down his nose at me and tells me how much better educated he is than I am. And I'm not the only one.

(1) of course i use the term in its' popular synonym for 'hypothesis' or 'just an idea but it goes together with 'Crackpot" like 'cult' and 'looney'.
That is quite the summary you have written about mystic. I suppose you and him have a lot in common and yrs of bonding friendship.
At least that is what it seems when you speak so personally about him.

And then there is the topic the o.p. put forward.

While reading your response I scratched my head a bit an wondered what sort of preconceived notion of consciousness you are attempting to articulate.
Sort of familiar from an experience standpoint.
I believe there is a pronoun that describes what you have displayed.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our brain is a microcosm of the universe. It is one cell of the universal brain that establishes our reality.
That is beautiful thought.
Thankyou sir.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Fungi are plants?

Algae are plants?
Who says?
And by what measure are they classified.

If I recall correctly a majority of plant[species] isolate carbon dioxide and produce oxygen as a by product.
Do fungi and algae share the same attributes.
Then while you search for an answer.
Are these two examples of plants more or less evolved than say Trees.
Then there is a whole other realm to be explored that the fossil record will never offer an explanation to this question.
Something I loved about science(biology) as a youth is that there is so much not said.

It was after all one of my first classrooms.
The wonder and awe of creation still warms my heart when exploring the architectural genius that Life has to offer.

How about yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality