Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And "my" thesis that conscious is not created by the brain is false according to YOU and other atheist/materialists, but it is true according to anyone else.
By anyone else you mean people with no evidence who need to make things up. If you actually studied the science, you will find many religious people also accept consciousness as a product of the brain.

Quote:
You have no evidence for your devout atheism, so at least qualify your statements as opinions, not established facts. They are only established facts if you get all your information from atheist/materialist sources. Which I am sure you do.
By devout you mean you have yet to present any evidence for your case. And I have evidence for my atheism. And you will find Bayes was a Christian. So is the Bible. Once again with the dishonest implication that our only source is biased atheist sources. Christian argument 894, chapter fallacies, section projection.

Quote:
You don't understand why it's important to get our knowledge from various types of sources. You don't know there is any other way of looking at things.
Your constant need to invent excuses is telling.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
If I think about a cat, a certain area of my brain is activated. So there is your link. You assume something happened in that area of the brain to cause me to think about a cat.
Because that is part of the evidence you claim we do not have.

Quote:
It never occurs to you that my thinking about a cat is what caused that brain area to become active.
Because you have no evidence for this, you just presume this is the case.

Quote:
Brain scientists, if they are at all in touch with reality, have to admit that they do not know how the brain and consciousness are related.
But we know we can affect consciousness (among other things) by doing different things with the brain.

Quote:
And, as always, you ask for my evidence. You are the one claiming that something is known and understood, and I am the one saying it is not understood. So why ask for my evidence?
Because your assertions and inventions are not evidence.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Yes the universe is a heck of a lot more complex than our brains. So silly when materialists insist the brain is more complex than anything.
AAAAACHHHOOOOO

More straw!

Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
There is plentiful evidence of patients having experienced consciousness while their brain was not functioning.
If your brain is not functioning, neither is your heart or lungs. Come back when that has sunk in.

Quote:
There is all kinds of evidence supporting consciousness without brain functioning. You atheist/materialists always find excuses to deny it all.
So you keep asserting without providing any of this evidence. Straw, yes, evidence, no.

Quote:
Your "evidence" that brains create consciousness are all associations with no implications of causality.
Correct. Inference, yes, implications, no.*

* Thank you Tom Sharpe for that lesson in English.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Au contraire. We have no evidence of consciousness without brains. You keep claiming that they exist in this manner, and you keep not providing any evidence at all.
We can model aspects of consciousness with AI systems. But that does not help good4nuthin, as that just shows a material origin.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There you go,'goodforNothing'. The radio-transceiver theory. Or excuse - why universal consciousness doesn't show universal consciousness all the time. How does that that appeal to you?
Of course this 'theory' does not tell us why we need to learn instead of just receiving knowledge from this cosmic entity. Or why we had to invent science, mathematics, logic and language in the first place.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Fungi are plants?

Algae are plants?
I think they are, aren't they. Moss, lichens and moulds are in the plant family? Nobody's going to tell me a mushroom's an animal.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:16 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Quote:
If your brain is not functioning, neither is your heart or lungs. Come back when that has sunk in.
You know that I meant the parts of the brain associated with consciousness.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Correct. Inference, yes, implications, no.*

* Thank you Tom Sharpe for that lesson in English.
I said implications and I meant implications. I am a linguist.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
We can model aspects of consciousness with AI systems. But that does not help good4nuthin, as that just shows a material origin.
Oh you can? Aspects of consciousness? Well maybe you should tell the world, because the world has not heard about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality