Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
(after all keratin keeps growing even after a person is dead) .
(psssst, Transponder, I believe that is a myth)

Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
(psssst, Transponder, I believe that is a myth)
Oh crap

Thanks for that. I recall I'd read that but I'd forgotten. Ok

"As best as anyone can gauge, cell metabolism likely continues for roughly four to 10 minutes after death, depending on the ambient temperature around the body" (scientific american)

The Myth began because shrinkage of the body (or in Nugini, the head) made it appear that the hair and nails were still gtrowing.

Ok folks, let me go and mutter at myself in a mirror for a while and then get back to my post and revise it in the light of old information that I'd forgotten.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Oh crap

That's OK. Just another indication that nothing happens after death except deterioration.

The idea was started because hair and nails appeared to be longer as the skin shriveled up and retracted.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That's OK. Just another indication that nothing happens after death except deterioration.

The idea was started because hair and nails appeared to be longer as the skin shriveled up and retracted.
Aye. So I could be talking No indication for continuation of consciousness after death, even more than 10 minutes which would be enough for a dream (anyone else noted that a 3 hour dream happens in less than a second?) and never mind what can happen during passing out or under anaesthetic. But the idea is that a Universal consciousness would continue intact even if your brain was out of action. But let's leave for tonight it as i am now humiliated

''''

appendix. I am grateful for your correction as I only look slightly stupid and not chronically stupid.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-22-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 11:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Oh, I think you will find that the universe IS external to us.
And an external variable that is interactive when observed.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If the article 'uploaded' I don't see why the pictures didn't. Nor why it would make you unable to get what it said even without. However, given that you can't be bothered to evaluate the scientific work on the brain, nor indeed that you don't refute that the brain can be affected by illness or injury, can we assume that the hypothesis that the mind is something more than a product of the brain is unsupported by evidence?

I can give you another classification. Insects. They (on fossil evidence) were the direction that animal cells took while plant cells moved towards plants. In the pre - Cambrian, plants and animals were very much alike, as is the case today where a lot of people are surprised to learn that sea 'flowers' are in fact animals. And in the Silurian age, the line that led to fish, reptiles and mammals diverged with a backbone rather than an exoskeleton. And those lines continued three separate developments. No mystery.

It is not unsurprising that the insect nervous system and the animal one is based on a nerve cord with input analyser atone end and activator at the other. I have never heard that plants have that, but presumably the same system of neural signals passed along to pursue prey or escape it (animals) also controls the reactions of plants to the sun or to trapping hapenstance prey. Evolved instinct toenable survival.

'consciousness here is little more than Reaction and action, activated by neural signals as it was from the first cells. Or that is the explanation that fits the evidence. From then it evolved, or no, as in plants, no further than trapping prey. in Insects, the complex society of bees or ants. In animals tribal society and pack - individuality, probably, in raptors, reputedly the most intelligent of the dinosaurs and, after their extinction (aside from the bird-brained dinosaurs),mammals had to evolve that all over again, to pack and tribal instinct and problem solving that we get in the higher animals. That is getting close to feelings of identity and though. We are looking at consciousness evolving along with more complex life.

There is also fossil evidence of how humans developed more complext problem -solving and feelings of tribal identity, along with increased tool -making and adaptability (walking upright). Thusbecoming the most powerful adapter of nature to its' own purposes that has ever evolved.

There's a lot to find out and prove, but this is the way it looks and there is not real need to appeal to any entity outside that to account for it. Nor does it serve as evidence for an outside entity.

'Consciousness' as a gap for God argument is on the way out, even faster than the other two.
What the
How did you go from sub classification of plants to insects. Of the 5 classifications of plants you will find fungus, and algae. Yes they have certain attributes similar to animals in terms of metabolics. But the cell biology is still very different from the animal kingdom.

Are you implying insects are autonomous?

If so you should watch some YouTube videos about ant and bee keepers.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
I think it worthy of note that despite numerous requests from a number of posters, Good4Nothing has essentially flounced off, muttering about how materialists don’t understand, without even the slightest attempt at explanation or defense.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
What the
How did you go from sub classification of plants to insects. Of the 5 classifications of plants you will find fungus, and algae. Yes they have certain attributes similar to animals in terms of metabolics. But the cell biology is still very different from the animal kingdom.

Are you implying insects are autonomous?

If so you should watch some YouTube videos about ant and bee keepers.
Since you were talking about some cellular difference between plants and animals, but nevertheless sharing a basic similarity in the method of sending reactive impulses by neurons, I had to go back to the time where (so the fossil evidence indicates) plants and animals separated. Then I had to mention where insects and the vertebrates diverged, just to cover the differences in the line and to show that plants/animals was not the only such divergence. The rest should be clear enough. It explains why the method of passing reaction is at base, the same. The cell biology is accountable by having gone on a different evolutionary path, starting from the cell.

If you are taking any of that as suggesting that insects are 'autonomous' (whatever that is supposed to mean) I don't suggest that you watch any you -tubes on ants or bees as I doubt that you will learn anything from them.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-22-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 02:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Oh SuzyQ, you have bought the entire atheist/materialist mythology. That's why you never understand anything I say.

You also never read most of what I write. I already explained that consciousness is expressed through the physical brain and body. If a person's brain isn't functioning, they can't communicate and interact, so they don't seem conscious. So you, of course, assume they have no consciousness. That is an assumption, NOT a scientific observation.

And you think complex natural systems are being understood, more every day. And very soon ... any day ... they will understand ... just be patient and wait .. they promise ...

That has been going on for many decades. But as I already said, which of course you ignored -- as they learn more about each complex natural system (the brain, DNA, subatomic particles, etc.) it becomes ever more mysterious.

You really have not noticed this??
You continue to try to project your own ignorance about "natural systems" on others. You think that if you do not understand something, then it is "beyond understanding." Sorry, that is just not true. There is plenty that you do not understand but others do. No one is claiming to understand everything about everything, but the total body of knowledge about anything that generates interest in studying continues to grow.

Here you wish to change the definition of consciousness.

The medical definition:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/level...usness-1132154

"According to medical definitions, a normal level of consciousness means that a person is either awake or can be readily awakened from normal sleep.

Consciousness identifies a state in which a patient is awake, aware, alert and responsive to stimuli.
Unconsciousness identifies a state in which a patient has a deficit in awareness and responsiveness to stimuli (touch, light, sound). A person who is sleeping would not be considered unconscious, however, if waking up would result in normal consciousness."

Perhaps you are thinking of "locked in syndrome", where the person is conscious but unable to communicate. However, that condition can be diagnosed, so, yes, it is possible to have brain damage, be conscious, and be unable to communicate.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/min...etative-state/

"In order to be conscious a person requires at least one hemisphere of the brain be mostly functioning and they require a functioning brainstem. The cortical hemispheres contain the gray matter – that part of the brain that thinks. So it makes sense that a certain minimal amount of gray matter is necessary to generate consciousness. As gray matter is damaged or inhibited from functioning one’s level of consciousness decreases until it descends beyond that fuzzy boundary into unconsciousness. When such unconsciousness is persistent we call that coma."

Your thesis that consciousness does not reside in the brain is false.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think it worthy of note that despite numerous requests from a number of posters, Good4Nothing has essentially flounced off, muttering about how materialists don’t understand, without even the slightest attempt at explanation or defense.
If good 4 all is given a much needed rest from an environmental opposition against her consideration of those visiting the religion and spiritual sub-forum.
I think her wise to do so.
Especiallially after reading some of the response from posters that have ignored such a courtesy that should be well ingrained whether of not they acknowledge The divine hand present in all of Life.
So, as the conversation continues. I hope a form of respect will be adhered to as each possibility of spirituality is presented.

What is commonly preffered to as sentience is Known as a breath of Life in some circles. The same circles speak of wisdom found in both observing and listening to nature sing.

If need be perhaps a refreshing course of biology is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality