Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 01:23 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You can in the science section, where I will demonstrate the ID misuse of his [James Shapiro's] work.
It doesn't matter if ID has misused his work. His work is stills science, and it shows big problems with neo-Darwinism. His work shows extreme intelligence in natural systems.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:28 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Who makes that claim?
Nobody makes that claim other than Theists who cannot think straight because of Faith. It is blindingly obvious (because we have seen it before) that Go4No cannot comprehend or tolerate the idea of not "Knowing" (on Faith) and admitting that we don't know and logically should not believe a claim until validated. Every time, a God (at least of some kind) is believed on Faith and science is blind and arrogant because it hasn't disproved "God" but still doesn't believe in it. You may laugh, but that is Exactly how they think. I'll bet my house, pension and Ass on it.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And then there is psychology, which as answered many of the things you are clearly ignorant of. The evidence you label as opinion is not on your side, even if some visions were to be true.
I have a PhD in psychology. I know it has not answered the questions people like you assume it has answered.

And what do you think is my "side?" I never advocate any particular religion. I'm just saying materialism is a mistaken ideology.

If extra-physical beings, or beings on some higher dimensional plane, actually exist, that contradicts materialism. And I think there is plenty evidence for non-physical, or super-physical, reality.

There are different kinds of evidence, by the way. Not everything can be investigated with controlled experiments. Many things must be investigated with observation (this is the case in astronomy, geology, economics, etc., for example).

We can observe that it is very normal for people to experience the non-physical. We can interpret those observations as evidence of extra-physical levels of reality, or as hallucinations.

If you are determined to believe in materialism, you will say it's hallucinations. Otherwise, you will consider it as possible evidence.

There is NOTHING in psychology that can explain why people have spiritual experiences. Psychology can't even explain hallucinations. Or dreams. Psychology doesn't actually explain much at all.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
????? I don't know about "easily," but we know quite a bit about each of those questions. Certainly more than we knew 2000 yrs ago, or 100 yrs ago, or even just last year. There are entire textbooks devoted to each topic. At my university alone there are entire departments devoted to each of those topics, and they are busy teaching what we do know and researching what we don't. That knowledge base is replicated and multiplied the world over.

Are you suggesting that we don't know anything about these questions, or merely that we "don't know it all" (...which will never be the case)?
The more details they observe, the more complex the system appears. As knowledge of details increases, comprehension of the overall system does not increase. Scientists realize things are far more complex than they had expected.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have a PhD in psychology.

Psychology doesn't actually explain much at all.
ahem ahem.
Is that why the screen name?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Lets say God didn't do it.
You tell me, who did it?
Do you believe that the entire universe and everything in it came together by itself? Well, good for you!
Do you believe that God caused himself to exist out of nothing? If no, who made God?

Quote:
Again, that statue, THE GOD of hinduism is sitting right in front of you. There isn't any need of an evidence of anymore.
Do you honestly think Hindus worship the statue and not the god it represents? Do you not realize there is more than one statue in existence?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It doesn't matter if ID has misused his work. His work is stills science, and it shows big problems with neo-Darwinism. His work shows extreme intelligence in natural systems.
Ah. So it's the Third way (alternative to both Creationism (involving a god) and "Darwinism", whatever that is.

"Shapiro integrates advances in symbiogenesis, epigenetics, and saltationism into a unified approach that views evolutionary change as an active cell process, regulated epigenetically and capable of making rapid large changes by horizontal DNA transfer, inter-specific hybridization, whole genome doubling, symbiogenesis, or massive genome restructuring."

Why this isn't "Darwinism" with an alternative method to genetic mutation I don't know. I have read a few accusations of sloppy and self -contradictory scholarship, but we shall have to see. Challenges to any Theory is always good, provided they can make a case. But here again, we are starting an evolution -science derail, and I don't think the Mods are going to tolerate it much more.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:50 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
The other way round is also true.

If an evidence of everyone's liking was provided then every human would believe. There would be no choices and no point of us having a life on this earth.

God would simply create us, shown us the evidence of our liking which would would've turned us into believers, and then he had sent us to Paradise. There wasn't a point of giving us life and holding us responsible for our actions.
Evidence of my liking? What does that even mean?

I know gravity is real, because when I jump or throw an object or push something off a shelf, I see the evidence. Every time. You see the exact same evidence. Every time. So does every other human on the planet. Who may find the evidence to their liking is irrelevant; it is what it is.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
ahem ahem.
Is that why the screen name?
I always thought it meant "Virtuous with no thought of reward and ready to play the persecuted martyr if anyone sees it differently. "

Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Do you believe that God caused himself to exist out of nothing? If no, who made God?
wrong question again.

You cannot decide to create yourself when you don't exist.

No one created God, and this is what makes him God. And God created everything.

If a God is created by something else then it does not fit the definition of being a God.

This should give you some idea when you try to define God.

Quote:
Do you honestly think Hindus worship the statue and not the god it represents? Do you not realize there is more than one statue in existence?
Some even drink cow's urine as they consider cow to be so sacred. You honestly think I am lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality