Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
wrong question again.

You cannot decided to create yourself when you don't exist.
Then that proves that somebody or something else must have created God.[

Quote:
No one created God. And God created everything.
that is an incoherent faith -claim that answers nothing, defies reason and contradicts your previous remark.

Quote:
If a God is created by something else then it does not fit the definition of being a God.
No -you are clearly using the wrong definition of God because that one doesn't work.

Quote:
This should give you some idea when you try to define God.
You should try to abstain from absurdities that have no decent evidence for it when defining God. Try again and come up with a definition that nakes sense and answers your own objection 'Something that does not exist cannot create itself' (so something else had to). And nothing can come from Nothing so God had to come from something. Who made the rules? The Rules of eventuality apart from human preference make themselves. The rules of physics are inherent (or evolve) in matter. All we need to do is discover them. Nobody 'makes them up'. The fellow in the vid. is a lamebrain.

Cardinals, mate, don't embarrass yourself by posting such idiocy. You are smarter than that.

Quote:

Some even drink cow's urine as they consider cow to be so sacred. You honestly think I am lying?

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-30-2018 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Fixed missing quote tags

Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I found or it found me back in early 80's, Science of Mind. SOM...changed my life.

My last minister was O.C. Smith at City of Angels. For god, I would add another o and call it GOOD.

The Glass is Half Full philosophy.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Seriously, our govt tells us the same, isn't it? "They are coming to kill you and they hate your way of life".
Sure, some governments do that -- and some American presidential administrations have done that. However, the real irony here is that governments unilaterally play on the populace's religious beliefs as a strong motivator to do something about it.

One of the first things a government will usually claim is under attack is "our way of life." And first on that list is religion and the freedom to practice it. "They're coming to take your god away," is essentially what they're saying. Nothing but nothing but nothing fires up the fury of a population than to say their religious values are under attack.

Which is PRECISELY why Christians in America just adore playing the Persecution Card every chance they get. Gotta covince the rank and file Christian that their religion is under constant threat from those mean ol' atheists, communists, and Islamic extremists, dontch'ya know.

Hence the Christian leadership has painted atheists as these slavering, immoral, hedonistic monsters out to ban Bibles, close churches, abolish prayer, and all the rest of it. Not a whit of it is true, but no one cares about truth when fear is the primary emotion.

I doubt half the Christians I've talked to would even know two facts about Stalin, Mao, or Hitler were it not for Christian propagandists preaching their hatreds and poisoning the well against atheists. Now, suddenly, there are hordes of Christians who think they know history -- and they don't.

AT ALL.

Makes me sick.

But it just goes to show you how all you need is a population steeped with heavy-handed religious indoctrination (America) for any government -- especially the bad governments -- to keep the people dancing on the ends of their puppet strings.

Quote:
Also, I would like to know if you could quote me a few religious guidelines from all religions in the world that tells it's followers that "other religions a threat to your eternal well being or that of your loved ones". This is a new one to me.
Do you even read the Bible? There's an actual law in Leviticus that says that, if an inhabitant of a given town converts to a different religion other than Judaism, not only is that inhabitant to be put to death, the WHOLE TOWN is supposed to be wiped out.

That just goes to show you how afraid and hateful they were toward other religions. And I mean, seriously,

If there is one religion that states this, and you believe it does not sit well with your intelligence, logic, reasoning, understanding and perception, THEN reject it and move on to the next to continue your quest.

Now, if you come back and tell me that ALL religions in the world tell it's adherents to create divisions within themselves then, I will take your original statement seriously.

Or how about:

(9:5) And when the forbidden months have passed, kill the idolaters wherever you find them and take them prisoners, and beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they repent and observe Prayer and pay the Zakat, then leave their way free. Surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.
In other words, worship a false god and you're dogmeat.

Religion doesn't have to come right out and say, in obvious black and white, what's really being said. The hatred and bigotry shown other religions speaks far more loudly and clearly than any direct law. Other religions are an everpresent threat and they cannot be tolerated in "our" midst.

Quote:
Again, who decides what's moral and what's immoral? You?
We all do. It's called the societal contract.

That contract is signed upon birth and is predicated on the well-being of the citizenry. Those actions that do not promote well-being whilst not benefitting society as a whole are generally considered immoral and illegal.

If we take our moral marching orders from a god, then we're not being moral. We're just following orders. The only reason why your morality exists in its current form is because that's what your orders happen to be. But your orders could have easily been to murder without thought every gay, atheist, and non-Christian everywhere in the world - including children and infants - and that's exactly what you would be doing. Like ISIS or Al-Qaeda.

Secular morality exists due to analysis and self-awareness, to know intuitively that crimes such as murder is wrong because it does not foster the well-being of the person being killed or the well-being of society altogether. This is why societal morality has diverged from the Bible to find its own way rather than for our sense of right and wrong being based on an obsolete book that would have us hating everyone that doesn't conform. Is it any wonder, then, why fundamentalists and evangelicals have always backed autocrats and dictators?

Quote:
You need to show me where does the religion say that it's adherent should be divided into different groups?
That's just it ... if the Bible was the divinely inspired Word of God, everyone should be on the same page. Instead, some people aren't even reading the same book. The Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, for example. Christianity is the result of a splinter group severing itself from Judaism. Protestantism is a splinter group severing itself from Catholic Christianity. Islam is a splinter group that severed itself from Christianity as a whole. And then there are the tens of thousands of smaller denominations within each branch.

At least with science, you do not have 30,000 different takes on evolution. Rather, you have a 95% consensus.

Quote:
Why because, IT'S THE HUMAN NATURE that creates divisions and gives us the option of having difference in opinion.
No, actually, it's not. All of these differences of opinion stem from how poorly written the Bible is. You do not see 30,000 denominations regarding the wetness of water, right? Because everyone knows the wetness of water is fact. There is no ambiguity. Something as important as the contents of the Bible should also have no ambiguity -- and yet it is one of the most ambiguous books ever written.

Oh sure human nature might play a role .. in the same way human nature allows a small percentage of the population to actually believe the earth is flat. But you don't see thousands of different earth-shape groups all believing the earth is a rectangle, a circle, a decahedron, shaped like an egg, or whatever.

Quote:
Our intelligence, logic, reasoning, life experience, education and our nature varies from person to person.
And yet no one believes water is dry.

No doubt even if the Bible were clearly and concisely written, there would be a small subset of Christians who would still disagree with the overwhelming majoirty and conjure up their own interpretations, but their numbers would be inconsequential and would have no tangible effect on majority belief.

Religion, on the other hand, is all over the map with several major religions -- each with many competing ideologies and denominations. That only happened because of lousy authoring that did NOT stand the test of time.

Quote:
It's the way we think, it's the way our brains work. We will always have divisions and groups regardless of who and what we belong to.
Yep, but if you look at how people are divided and in what percentages on a given topic, you can get a very good feel as to what divided them.

Quote:
IMO, you are fighting more so with Human condition but hell bent to blame it on religion.
Religion is a major part of the human condition and, hence, shoulders a major part of the blame.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I found or it found me back in early 80's, Science of Mind. SOM...changed my life.

My last minister was O.C. Smith at City of Angels. For god, I would add another o and call it GOOD.

The Glass is Half Full philosophy.
"Galss is half Full' (as distinct from "This Place sucks" Christian theology) is good. I'm glad you found it.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
wrong question again.

You cannot decide to create yourself when you don't exist.

No one created God, and this is what makes him God. And God created everything.

If a God is created by something else then it does not fit the definition of being a God.

This should give you some idea when you try to define God.
So God just exists; no one created him. Why can't the universe just exist then? Why is it necessary for someone to have created it?

Quote:
Some even drink cow's urine as they consider cow to be so sacred. You honestly think I am lying?
I think you are being deliberately obtuse.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
So God just exists; no one created him. Why can't the universe just exist then? Why is it necessary for someone to have created it?
Because universe is not God.

EVERYTHING is a creation EXCEPT God. This is what makes him God.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If extra-physical beings, or beings on some higher dimensional plane, actually exist, that contradicts materialism. And I think there is plenty evidence for non-physical, or super-physical, reality.
Why is it when religion, gods, ghosts, or "beings" come up - there is always someone who says over and over again there is "plenty of evidence" but never somehow gets around to presenting _any_ of it?

It is a pattern I have seen repeat itself over many threads on many forums to the point I Think I will call it "Monumentus' first law of internet forums" and it will read "The probability someone will present evidence is inversely proportional to how much of it they keep claiming there is".

Quote:
We can observe that it is very normal for people to experience the non-physical. We can interpret those observations as evidence of extra-physical levels of reality, or as hallucinations.
What we observe is many people _claim_ to experience the "non physical". But we have zero evidence - contrary to your claims of plenty - that they actually have.

Quote:
There is NOTHING in psychology that can explain why people have spiritual experiences. Psychology can't even explain hallucinations. Or dreams. Psychology doesn't actually explain much at all.
Except our sciences do have a lot of explanations and data on the subject. So I can but suggest you hand your pHd back - if indeed you actually have one and are not lying to us - and go get one from a more reputable and competent establishment. Because it appears the one you claim to have - has failed you.

However I am not even sure why you would want to go to psychology for explanations on this topic. It would seem to me you would be better off with a pHd in Neuro Science or similar to understand these topics. For someone with a claimed pHd in the subject - I am not seeing evidence you know eve the 101 stuff about it.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Because universe is not God.

EVERYTHING is a creation EXCEPT God. This is what makes him God.
Lol.

This is what (deliberately) blind faith looks like, folks.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
You tell me, what would constitute as an evidence of God?
Again - it is for the person claiming there is a god to present their evidence and explain how and why it is evidence. You have tried for some years now to pretend this is the other way around - but trying it again and again and again for years does not make it so.

Quote:
You want to be among the arrogant? Be my guest, I don't have a problem with it.
"Atheist - the arrogant belief that the entire universe was _not_ built with you in mind" -- Micheal Nugent.

I am not sure you are in any position to judge the arrogance of anyone else in this matter.

Quote:
Lets say God didn't do it. You tell me, who did it? Do you believe that the entire universe and everything in it came together by itself? Well, good for you!
Yet again your biases are built into your rhetoric. The fact you ask "who" did it shows you already presuppose the answer. Which - for the fourth time I Think today - makes my point for me. You are on a roll.

But yes - so far there is no evidence the universe came about due to anything but natural causes. There is no sign of intention behind it - and absolutely no sign of the intentional entity. Both are assumed and then used as evidence for the other. Which is circular agenda based thinking.

However it is worth noting that no claim about the universe is really all that different from theistic claims about god. Either god came into being and "came together by itself" or it always existed in some form or other before taking on the form it has today. This is not much different to what we say about the universe - which is that it either came into being by mechanisms we do not understand or it was basically always there in one form or another.

Which begs the question - why is it you and your ilk pretend this is somehow problematic when applied to the universe which we actually know exists - but magically perfectly sensible and coherent when applied to an entity you have no evidence exists in the first place?

Quote:
Evidence of an airplane was never presented to you. Instead the actual airplane was shown to you. So your statement of demanding evidence is an oxymoron. Again, that statue, THE GOD of hinduism is sitting right in front of you. There isn't any need of an evidence of anymore.
That depends on the claim - as was already explained to you. If your claim is that the status exists - then showing me the status is indeed evidence for the claim. If your claim however is that the entity the statue represents actually exists - then you thinking the statue is evidence for that claim is really just comedy at this point.

Quote:
You should consider David Copper field as God. He flies over Grand Canyon.
Actually since you bring it up - Amazing how simple magic tricks and illusion can make people think you are a magical being or a god or something more than merely human. I do close up magic - and I work some mentalist magic and hypnotism and a few other similar skills. I have had people demand that I admit I have actual powers. Even when I tell them to their face it is a trick, an illusion, a show, a deception - they will not believe me and insist I am just refusing to admit I possess actual magical powers.

That is how "rational" some people are. Not only believing nonsense without evidence - but not even dismissing the belief when you _tell_ them you were deceiving them. Reminds me of Brian in the Life of Brian running away telling people he was not the Messiah and the crowds go "Only the true messiah would deny being the messiah" so he says "Oh dammit then I am the messiah" and they scream "We knew it - he is the messiah!".

Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Galss is half Full' (as distinct from "This Place sucks" Christian theology) is good. I'm glad you found it.
Oh yeah, most of the people would look at a glass half full of water and say "it's half empty. Like their lives which they think is so empty. I have very little considering, but a full life. Smaller now as I have grown a lot of older and some pretty nasty joint issues, but stay with the positive Half Full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality