Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
haha.
Now we are talking.

You tell me, what would constitute as an evidence of God?
Incontrovertible proof that it exists. Surely a god would know how to demonstrate its existence to an inferior being.

If "signs" were incontrovertible proof, then every human would observe the signs and reach the exact same conclusions.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Appearing on every TV station and every website around the world at the same time while patting his head with one hand and rubbing his stomach counter-clockwise with the other, while eating a chocolate eclair which hangs motionless in front of his face without getting any cream or chocolate on his face.
And how would you validate that it's God and not David Copperfield?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
what do you use as proof of your type o god trout?

I don't have a "type of god" or any proof of same. I just have a hunch that that which connects all life somehow ends up becoming greater than the sum of its parts. Like an ever-expanding collective consciousness that has no sense of "I," just "All."

Or something.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Appearing on every TV station and every website around the world at the same time while patting his head with one hand and rubbing his stomach counter-clockwise with the other, while eating a chocolate eclair which hangs motionless in front of his face without getting any cream or chocolate on his face.

But your humorous post brings up one of my biggest objections to the whole concept of god. God is supposed to be all-powerful. A god would want all to know he exists and is to be worshiped and loved. Yet, this god hides himself, makes himself a secret, plays silly guessing games. Accepts that half the world doesn't believe in him, and accepts that many of the rest have their doubts (even if only in secret). Such nonsense.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Incontrovertible proof that it exists. Surely a god would know how to demonstrate its existence to an inferior being.

If "signs" were incontrovertible proof, then every human would observe the signs and reach the exact same conclusions.
The other way round is also true.

If an evidence of everyone's liking was provided then every human would believe. There would be no choices and no point of us having a life on this earth.

God would simply create us, shown us the evidence of our liking which would would've turned us into believers, and then he had sent us to Paradise. There wasn't a point of giving us life and holding us responsible for our actions.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:

David would admit he couldn't do it. Nobody but a god-thing could.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:05 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I don't have a "type of god" or any proof of same. I just have a hunch that that which connects all life somehow ends up becoming greater than the sum of its parts. Like an ever-expanding collective consciousness that has no sense of "I," just "All."

Or something.
More and more how I see it, as well.

Or something else.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:

Or something.
yup, that's how I see it.

and take a beating for pointing out the science clearly pointing to that stance as more valid than deny everything. well, you know, its more valid when we apply the same rigor to my atheism that is.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:15 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think those are good examples, areas where science has nothing to offer. When people worship science, they give up so much.

Why not just appreciate science for the kind of understanding it does provide, without saying nothing can possibly be true unless science has already discovered it.
Who makes that claim?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:16 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
By testing and investigation. Unless it's a real Dick, it would know that we need to be sure and would co-operate in the tests. Eventually we would have to accept that this was indeed a god and probably The God since none other had removed it. That would at least establish credibility.

Now you might say that 'This is not Faith'. And indeed it isn't. It Better - a validated case for claim. You (or others) might say that this is No Good; it isn't what God (or Allah) demands which is Faith, which would not accept any of the doubts that evidential verification would still not be able to eliminate. And if any god demanded that sort of Faith, it is either stupid or unbelievably arrogant and probably both. Which is why the postulated perfect all knowing god that demands Faith or else does not and cannot exist.

On all evidence and logical reasoning.
Cardinals, mate, you have these answers before. But of course - like the usual in religious apologetics, you simply forget it or ignore it and put the same questions again. Why do you do it? I would really like to know what's going on. Do you really forget or don't actually listen? Or do you hope that putting the same question will work, though it never did before?
Quote:
The other way round is also true.

If an evidence of everyone's liking was provided then every human would believe. There would be no choices and no point of us having a life on this earth.

God would simply create us, shown us the evidence of our liking which would would've turned us into believers, and then he had sent us to Paradise. There wasn't a point of giving us life and holding us responsible for our actions.

You are right. The whole Creation and the long and clumsy religious road to paradise (just for the worthy) doesn't make sense. No more than the Adam and Flood -scenario. A god that knew what it was doing would scrap Adam and start with Noah. Warts and wall - since that was what was evidently intended. The argument that God doesn't want robots is nonsense. Human sould HAVE to become robots or they couldn't endure an eternal heaven, evem if all the rest of humanity was NOT burning in Hell.

Don't you se that the whole Abrahamic God -concept makes no sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality