Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 02:39 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is plenty of evidence, as I said, but devout atheists can always find convoluted ways to explain it away.
There is plenty of evidence for fairies...if you believe in fairies.
What evidence has to be is VERIFIABLE and that is not what the evidence for gods (or fairies) is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The science most of you are talking about I believe is forever changing, and I don't buy into much of it. Great for the books and the scientists and many other things, but not for the way I conduct my life.
...and how much of the way you conduct your life doesn't rely on science?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:30 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The science most of you are talking about I believe is forever changing, and I don't buy into much of it. Great for the books and the scientists and many other things, but not for the way I conduct my life. I've gotten past believing in any god stuff so what I do believe I change some of the thinking for what works for me.
Fundamentally incorrect.

Newtonian physics hasn’t changed much in centuries. We use it to launch rockets and fly airplanes with a great deal if success.

Electromagnetism has a similarly solid foundation. We use our knowledge to generate electricity, run MRI machines, and operate the internet. I am pretty confident that you can read my post because of our understanding of this field.

We know a bunch about anatomy. Doctors operate every day, and can reliably find your gall bladder or heart.

Materials science is pretty good. I know that if certain processes are followed, we get steel that is reliable enough to allow us to build suspension bridges and skyscrapers.

The fringes of our knowledge are subject to change of course, because they are the fringes. These are the areas of partial understanding and incomplete knowledge. We are getting better about these things. Sure, we don’t know how to treat all diseases or what the ideal diet is for all people, but we do know that antibiotics work and too much cholesterol isn’t good for you.

This oft repeated trope that science isn’t reliable because it changes betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of science, and willful ignorance of what we do know.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:02 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
They don't say science is "all-knowing." They say it is "self-correcting."
And good science should be self correcting. You make it sound like that is a problem. Mein Gott, learning from people pointing out problems with your work, how unthinkable.

Quote:
And they say there is nothing preventing from answering all questions eventually.
So you keep asserting without evidence.

Quote:
So same difference, different words.
So completely different, then.

Quote:
Oh yes lots of them do expect science to provide all answers. And they think science has answered questions it has not answered.
Oh those straw man scientists.

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence, as I said, but devout atheists can always find convoluted ways to explain it away.
Ad hominem, question begging and straw man, three fallacies for the price of one. Honest people (who may or may not be atheists) pointing out uncomfortable facts, such as the need for creationists to lie, is the opposite of what you wrote.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
"Aeroby And Anaeroby"

Aeroby and Anaeroby live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
"Aeroby And Anaeroby"

Aeroby and Anaeroby live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh Lord, why don't we?
Because just as there's Black and White,
the one is wrong and the other right.
And the only route to harmony
is when the They become the We.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:31 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
You want a list?
Yes. Otherwise, I fail to see the problem.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
What is a devout atheist? How can one show deep religous feeling towards one's lack of religous belief?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:16 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Because just as there's Black and White,
the one is wrong and the other right.
And the only route to harmony
is when the They become the We.
Which is condition is wrong aerobic or anaerobic? And how do you homogenize the 2?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:44 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
And good science should be self correcting. You make it sound like that is a problem. Mein Gott, learning from people pointing out problems with your work, how unthinkable.

I never said it should not be self-correcting. I said that science worshipers believe it is infallible because it is self correcting.

But never mind, people who are trying not to understand will never understand.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:46 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What is a devout atheist? How can one show deep religous feeling towards one's lack of religous belief?
Richard Dawkins is one example. All his followers are examples. Probably most atheists have very deep feelings against religion. I call that devout. You can look up the definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality