Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 05:35 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,645,884 times

Advertisements

Never mind.....deleted......

Old 10-31-2018, 05:35 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think it's sensible for you to reserve judgement and not have a strong opinion on this either way.

There is plenty of evidence, as I said, but devout atheists can always find convoluted ways to explain it away.

But I have no problem with people being scientific and skeptical agnostics. I am kind of agnostic myself. However, I am aware of some of the extensive evidence from near death experiences, out of body experiences, parapsychology, nearly universal human experiences, and my own personal experiences. So I don't really have the kind of doubts I used to have.

However, I am skeptical about most specific claims that people make on spiritual subjects. I don't think we are capable of knowing very much about higher levels.
So, let me get this straight. You're skeptical (your word choice) about claims that people make on spiritual subjects...but you are "aware of some of the extensive evidence from near death experiences, out of body experiences, parapsychology...and my own personal experiences".

That makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:37 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,652,371 times
Quote:
Oh yes lots of them do expect science to provide all answers. And they think science has answered questions it has not answered.
Who is/are "them"?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:41 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So, let me get this straight. You're skeptical (your word choice) about claims that people make on spiritual subjects...but you are "aware of some of the extensive evidence from near death experiences, out of body experiences, parapsychology...and my own personal experiences".

That makes a lot of sense.
I don't understand what you are twisting my statements into.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Who is/are "them"?
You want a list?

Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
You want a list?

You're tilting at the windmills of your mind.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 479,056 times
Quote:
They don't say science is "all-knowing." They say it is "self-correcting." And they say there is nothing preventing from answering all questions eventually.

So same difference, different words.
No, it's not the same difference with different words... and you just keep digging a deeper hole for yourself, the more you expound about science with half-truths and twisted words.

"Self-correcting" does not mean all-knowing, or anything so self-congratulatory (perhaps the use of "self" threw you off?). Quite the opposite: it's an admission we never know it all, and need to stay open to new information. Self-correcting refers to the fact that science is all about finding the truth, as confirmed by verifiable, reproducible results. It means that nothing is ever so cast in stone that it can't be improved upon, if new evidence comes along to refine our understanding. While it appears to make you and other posters uncomfortable, this is actually an advantage, because it moves us ever closer toward that ultimate truth.

Let me give you a real life, concrete example: For many years, we understood that gastric and duodenal ulcers were caused by stress and too much acid, and exacerbated by spicy foods. So treatment focused on suppressing stomach acid, bland diet, reducing stress, and so on. This helped some people, but was not a "cure." The knowledge base wasn't completely wrong, but was incomplete. In the early 1980s (I watched this play out firsthand), a serendipitous observation in a sample from one patient led to the discovery (supported by many more observations by many more scientists.... we call that "evidence") that ulcers are actually caused by a bacterium, Helicobacter pylori. Ulcers are a common infection... who knew!? This new knowledge revolutionized treatment, because bacterial infections can be readily treated by antibiotics (we know this from long experience and other lines of evidence.... thanks, science!). It also turns out that these bacteria play a role in stomach cancer, so now we have a better handle on a particularly nasty form of the multiple diseases to which you keep referring.

Thus, science "corrected itself" by incorporating new evidence and updating our knowledge base. And now people who suffer from ulcers, and hospitals that treat them, and any of us who pay for healthcare insurance, are better off because of it. See how that works?

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 10-31-2018 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 PM

22,375 posts, read 19,288,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps Good4Nothin can provide the names of some...any...scientists or even any lay people who have ever stated that science does or might any time soon, have all the answers
MPD stated in a post, and even gave the year on the calendar it occurred, when the last time it was that there was a person who knew everything.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,071,841 times
Quote:
They don't say science is "all-knowing." They say it is "self-correcting." And they say there is nothing preventing from answering all questions eventually.

So same difference, different words.
Heela addressed the rest of your points rather well, so I will address the bolder portion.

I don’t think there is anybody who believes that science will answer all questions. If nothing else, the Big Bang seems to be an event beyond which we cannot explore. It also seems that the speed of light is a hard limit, so our exploration of the universe is similarly limited because we cannot get to most of it.

This doesn’t imply that your supernatural claims have any validity. I am simply pointing out that you are creating a strawman to argue against.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
The more we learn, the less we have to guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.