Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, not equally. And there you go again, excusing bad behavior by religious institutions.
that's right. not all are. people that were not there and do not engage in it are not responsible. and the "group" that does the blaming, more often than not, don't care that we all are not equally responsible.

applying a "guilt trip", equalling as terrifying as 'born sinners, is a disgrace. it clues us into the brain we are talking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 09:45 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Opinion. A "lengthy opinion" is not proof of anything. That's all your article is. One guy making biased statements just like on this forum. You don't understand that? I've given several good points explaining this and you are just ignoring them.
That may be the dumbest post you've ever made. I'm assuming you're talking about the initial post and and article (since you say you have given several good points), and that is based not on "one guy" making biased statements. The article is based on an extensive research paper published by the Southern Baptist Seminary, part of a church that has formally apologized for its role in slavery...publishing a declaration that said, in part:

"WHEREAS, Our relationship to African-Americans has been hindered from the beginning by the role that slavery played in the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention; and

WHEREAS, Many of our Southern Baptist forbears defended the right to own slaves, and either participated in, supported, or acquiesced in the particularly inhumane nature of American slavery; and

WHEREAS, In later years Southern Baptists failed, in many cases, to support, and in some cases opposed, legitimate initiatives to secure the civil rights of African-Americans; and

WHEREAS, Racism has led to discrimination, oppression, injustice, and violence, both in the Civil War and throughout the history of our nation; and

WHEREAS, Racism has divided the body of Christ and Southern Baptists in particular, and separated us from our African-American brothers and sisters; and

WHEREAS, Many of our congregations have intentionally and/or unintentionally excluded African-Americans from worship, membership, and leadership; and

WHEREAS, Racism profoundly distorts our understanding of Christian morality, leading some Southern Baptists to believe that racial prejudice and discrimination are compatible with the Gospel;..."

But just in case you're talking about the Nazi article...even you say, "One guy making biased statements just like on this forum"...and that would include yourself.

Last edited by phetaroi; 12-22-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 10:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I did actually read the original article. It's been a few days though so now I've just been following the discussion. But I was responding to the kind of thing you are more likely to have posted a link to, rather than the actual one.

I'm glad that the SBC is acknowledging this. Believe it or not there have been a lot of progressive members of the church for decades now. Jimmy Carter is probably the most famous example. But I also have family and friends who would fit into that category.

Many people are not "defined" by the church label that an atheist or other outsider would give them. For many people, the SBC is like the community center for theists. Especially in small towns where there might not be as many options. It's a large denomination in the US.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:01 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Jesus was NOT with the religion that came out of Rome--nor ANY of its 33,999 branches. They are false religions serving a false god. The world better look while it still can.
It bears repeating.

All religions are fake news.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It bears repeating.

All religions are fake news.
I would state it more cautiously. That there is no conclusive evidence that any religions are valid. That most people are simply born into certain religious beliefs and are too lazy to analyze reality. They become snug and smug in the beliefs of their forefathers without ever really contemplating the belief system or other belief systems.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
keep pounding out ideas until they stick for us. it was just whacked on the top of my head. thank you "gc".

anti-theist, anti-god, anti-atheist, far left, far right, all that stuff has a link back to forming a belief on "blind faith." they believe stuff on blind faith. Blind faith, as was showed to me, is destorying and eroding civilization(s). in the states, its blind religious faith. a very dangerous tool.

I point to my home land for example. "blind faith" is the single largest sect of stupid that has destroyed our secondary school in the states. These people in power now and in the recent past ran solely on "blind faith", yeah, like religion based blind faith it had good intentions, but that blind faith has utterly destroyed our schools. I look at philly because I am from their. but any whare fits.

"blind faith" is the procedural error that can be linked to warping religion, and other stuff, into sick expressions of otherwise meaningful choices of action.

blind faith" is the real problem, not theist. Its just religion uses it the most so it more dangerous.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,277 times
Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/...uality-n948396

Excellent and thought provoking article about the Southern Baptists.

What is a Christian?

One who follows Christ

The earliest of his followers (those who became the earliest Christians) knew that God himself, whom Jesus reflected, was not partial- Acts 10:34,35

Philip was directed to an African (an Ethiopian) to explain the Christ and to baptize that individual.

So, a Christian, one who earnestly seeks to follow Christ, really must be on guard against harboring racist thoughts.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
What is a Christian?

One who follows Christ

The earliest of his followers (those who became the earliest Christians) knew that God himself, whom Jesus reflected, was not partial- Acts 10:34,35

Philip was directed to an African (an Ethiopian) to explain the Christ and to baptize that individual.

So, a Christian, one who earnestly seeks to follow Christ, really must be on guard against harboring racist thoughts.
I see that as a very naive post. It is irrelevant to me what should be done. It is relevant to me what is done by his followers.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:07 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
I see that as a very naive post. It is irrelevant to me what should be done. It is relevant to me what is done by his followers.
What is relevant to me is that some racists are using religion to help them control their actions, and you are trying to stop that.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What is relevant to me is that some racists are using religion to help them control their actions, and you are trying to stop that.
Your evidence for either of those points?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality