Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 11:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The symbolism is important to those who have been wronged, and their descendants, in order for them to forgive and heal.

But if the apology is insincere, it is just more empty church-speak from Christian hypocrites.
I tend to see the health of a group of people by asking some basic questions. why can't a group of people open up their own store in their own neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 11:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Your entitled to your opinion. I will stick with mine in that we are not responsible for the sins of our fathers.
As a Christian, do you believe in Original sin? Did Adam and Eve's sin result in your soul being sin-stained? Do you believe Jesus died for your sins, including the one you were born with - even though he wasn't responsible for them?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
As a Christian, do you believe in Original sin? Did Adam and Eve's sin result in your soul being sin-stained? Do you believe Jesus died for your sins, including the one you were born with - even though he wasn't responsible for them?
bingo

Old 12-21-2018, 12:20 PM

50,836 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Interesting point of view, considering the discussion.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Do you think Original sin is the same as paying for the sins of our fathers. Should we all be apologizing for Adam and Eves betrayal of God. Should Christ followers apologize for those who do not follow Christ? Does God ask us to do this?

I was taught the original sin is turning from God. Once turned away from God those born were no longer nor could be one with God as Adam and Eve once were until the fulfillment of the convenient in which God would come to earth in the flesh and suffer as man suffered then once again man could be close to God thru this act and not thru animal sacrifices and ritual.

God and Jesus are one. God/Jesus was not responsible for our turning away as he gave us free will, he did give us an avenue to redeem ourselves thru his fulfillment of his convenient to return as flesh.

Do you see this as the same as you (being flesh and blood) being held responsible for something your (flesh and blood) great grandfather did?

Old 12-21-2018, 01:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Do you think Original sin is the same as paying for the sins of our fathers. Should we all be apologizing for Adam and Eves betrayal of God. Should Christ followers apologize for those who do not follow Christ? Does God ask us to do this?

I was taught the original sin is turning from God. Once turned away from God those born were no longer nor could be one with God as Adam and Eve once were until the fulfillment of the convenient in which God would come to earth in the flesh and suffer as man suffered then once again man could be close to God thru this act and not thru animal sacrifices and ritual.

God and Jesus are one. God/Jesus was not responsible for our turning away as he gave us free will, he did give us an avenue to redeem ourselves thru his fulfillment of his convenient to return as flesh.

Do you see this as the same as you (being flesh and blood) being held responsible for something your (flesh and blood) great grandfather did?
Isn’t this the same as being responsible for the sins of Adam and Eve? As a modern day human, I do not have the same access to god as Adam and Eve did, and because of their actions I have a nature that includes sin. Because I cannot be one with god during my mortal life, nor can I truly be assured of his existence, it is reasonable and rational to disbelieve in gods existence.

Therefore I am an atheist, which is a completely rational, logical, defensible position. However,if I were any sort of religion other than the one true one, I would be in the same position. I would run the risk of damnation because of my rational choices, which are arrived at based on availableinformation. That information is limitedostensibly by the sins of my created ancestors.

Therefore I am manipulated into a set of actions and beliefs, then punished for them, based on the actions of my ancestors.

Essentially the same thing as being punshed for their sins.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:02 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Isn’t this the same as being responsible for the sins of Adam and Eve? As a modern day human, I do not have the same access to god as Adam and Eve did, and because of their actions I have a nature that includes sin. Because I cannot be one with god during my mortal life, nor can I truly be assured of his existence, it is reasonable and rational to disbelieve in gods existence.

Therefore I am an atheist, which is a completely rational, logical, defensible position. However,if I were any sort of religion other than the one true one, I would be in the same position. I would run the risk of damnation because of my rational choices, which are arrived at based on availableinformation. That information is limitedostensibly by the sins of my created ancestors.

Therefore I am manipulated into a set of actions and beliefs, then punished for them, based on the actions of my ancestors.

Essentially the same thing as being punshed for their sins.
My bet is that if Adam and Eve had not forsaken God, learned of good and evil (sin) they would not have been locked out of paradise and would never have done the nasty. Therefore you would never have been.
God created Adam and Eve. They were one with God, without the knowledge of evil. God did not create you, "Adam and Eve" did.

Theoretically you can be one with God because of his convenient (Jesus Christ). That too is a choice allowed by free will. There is no manipulation. If you chose not to believe, will you be punished? Who is going to punish you?

If we are holding the Southern Baptists responsible for slavery, why are we not holding everyone else responsible? All citizens of every denomination and atheists supported slavery. Many cultures throughout history, Africa itself has a history of slavery. Why are we targeting Southern Baptist and America.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Seems some Christians prefer pulling a Pontius Pilate and just washing their hands of their church's guilt.

I hold them in the same esteem I do pimps, pushers, and bullies.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
My bet is that if Adam and Eve had not forsaken God, learned of good and evil (sin) they would not have been locked out of paradise and would never have done the nasty. Therefore you would never have been.
God created Adam and Eve. They were one with God, without the knowledge of evil. God did not create you, "Adam and Eve" did.
However, an omniscient, omnipotent god is a proximate cause. God knew and acted in a manner that would inevitably result in my existence, with the circumstances surrounding me that result in my non-belief in a Christian god. This is basic Calvinist thought.

Therefore, my rejection of god is all based upon the sins of Adam and Eve, which technically are based upon the choices of god.

As an aside, I think few Christians would agree with the thought that people create life. Creation is limited to the divine, reproduction seems to be viewed more as a process using existing stuff.

Quote:
Theoretically you can be one with God because of his convenient (Jesus Christ). That too is a choice allowed by free will. There is no manipulation. If you chose not to believe, will you be punished? Who is going to punish you?
There is every sort of manipulation, and free will is marginal at best. But those are topics for a different thread.

Quote:
If we are holding the Southern Baptists responsible for slavery, why are we not holding everyone else responsible? All citizens of every denomination and atheists supported slavery. Many cultures throughout history, Africa itself has a history of slavery. Why are we targeting Southern Baptist and America.
Others may be targeting southern baptists, I am not. I don’t think support for slavery was solely a southern baptist thing, although they certainly were not abolitionists.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Honestly...what are you talking about? That post has virtually nothing to with my post.

This is exactly why I am coming the conclusion that you argue for the sake of arguing.
This has to do with racism being practiced by atheists just as much as anyone religious. See your thread title and original post. But I know that you are being dishonest anyway about not understanding my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality