Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 07:54 AM

50,851 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Of course slavery is wrong.

But please tell me, Phetaroi, WHAT exactly are you doing to fight slavery? Be specific.
I was thinking more about this challenge of yours.

I'll toss the question right back at you.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You haven't proven to me that atheism is a better defense against slavery than Christianity. I think atheism does a lot more harm than good. So I tend to question your own claims.

I HAVE take the claims of atheism as complete absurdity. We all know what happens when atheists gain control of governments. It's like unleashing a nuclear bomb on the earth.
And yet it was a christian nation that actually unleashed a nuclear bomb on the earth. Two of them.

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-04-2019 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
All you have is a utopian fantasy. You want to destroy anything that is actually good and working. Religion has worked for centuries upon centuries of human history. Yet all you can do is ridicule it.

Until they prove otherwise I will consider all skeptics to be like the clueless barbarians that I see in this forum.
The three monkeys: hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil...when it comes to defending christianity.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And yet it was a christian nation that actually unleashed a nuclear bomb on the earth.
Good point old boot.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yea, that's right. Ignore the entire Bible, ignore language, ignore cultural context. Ignore the fact that many people chose to sell themselves as slaves as a means out of poverty. Ignore the fact that many foreign slaves were prisoners of war. Other nations would have just murdered them on the spot.

The reality is that slavery was the engine of the entire ancient world. Man created the engine, not God.
You don't take a piece off of an engine and expect it to immediately function on its own. That would be like the US economy telling the world that we are immediately going to stop using currency and just trade in produce. You think that would work? There would be mass chaos and suffering.

Just because you find a single clobber verse that gives instruction doesn't mean that God approved of it.
God gave Moses laws regarding divorce yet the Bible plainly says that God hates divorce. Same thing. God hated slavery. Permitting is not supporting.

The true dishonesty is a stubborn refusal to examine all the facts instead of focusing on one single verse.
Once again you are justifying slavery.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thanks to US Capitalism I was reduced to poverty in the Financial Collapse that wrecked the UK economy as well, so I never made my First Million, but I'm doing ok now, no thanks to the US.

I hope that irreligion will win out in the US and the unholy mix of right -wing money -grubbing, Fundamentalist Christianity and xenophobic flag waving will be replaced by something better.

The U.S. is already an irreligious nation. You are targeting aging out senior citizens. I think some may mention God here and there just so that others will not think they are completely sold-out to hedonism and/or capitalism.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Cherry picking.

You are misrepresenting, therefore we are hypocrites? Animals are slaves? Tell that to Mr Yap.

My dogs were definitely slaves. In exchange for food and shelter, including sleeping in our bed with us, walks and runs and as much cuddle time as they wanted I demanded that the protect us from passing strollers, tricycles, little kids and cats other than our own by barking and wagging their tails. And our cats in exchange for food and shelter, treats and medical attention I made them sleep wherever they wanted whenever they wanted including snuggling up with the dogs. Compare that to the Bible where if I man wanted to have sex with his wife's servant he asked the wife but not the servant.

I sometimes wonder if Jeff understands the words slavery or consent. We are n9t allowed to beat our pets or livestock badly as long as they don't die in a day or two. My dogs and cats were not mere property, they were affectionately well cared for, loved and often got me to do for them what they wanted. Many times it was me the servant and they the masters. If you really love and live with a pet you learn their non verbal language. If the one dog tapped on the fireplace she wanted it on. If either dog wanted a treat or to be put outside we could tell by how they danced and the one even had a special "let's go up to bed now" dance.

My dogs and cats were family not slaves and I very much miss all of them.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And yet it was a christian nation that actually unleashed a nuclear bomb on the earth. Two of them.
It was an atheist country that launched a dirty sneak attack and forced our hand by stubbornly refusing to end the war.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:48 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
jeff, your excuses are worse than "My dog ate my homework"

Old 04-04-2019, 09:59 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It was an atheist country that launched a dirty sneak attack and forced our hand by stubbornly refusing to end the war.
The government of Japan and it's policies was not based on atheism.

So no, it was not an atheist country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality