Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Do you honestly not see how wrong it is to defend slavery?

Please quote a verse that says God hates slavery.
Do you honestly see how wrong it is to falsely accuse someone of supporting slavery? I never did any such thing. Telll me, if you are only give a choice between two evils, does that mean you support or defend the evil choice if you pick the lesser of two evils?

Tell me, do you think this verse is approving slavery?

" Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - 1 Peter 2:18-25

I see it as only instruction on how to act in your current situation. That is not defending or supporting. It is no different than a high school teacher being firmly against war yet telling her students that they need to do their duty and register for selective service.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:11 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It was an atheist country that launched a dirty sneak attack and forced our hand by stubbornly refusing to end the war.
To repeat: And yet it was a christian nation that actually unleashed a nuclear bomb on the earth. Two of them.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Must be god was a bit fed up with his people using their free will when he decided to 'clean up their mess' with a biiiggg flood.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:17 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How many of your elected leaders are not claiming to be very religious? What percentage of your population believes in Creation rather than evolution? What percentage of your population claim to being themselves religious?

Compared to the rest of the developed world, the United States is a religious country. Capitalism is an economic system and can coexist with both a religious and non religious society. Do you think that the anti abortion laws are not being driven by the religious? Or by the elderly?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impo...ion_by_country

Compare the 69% important to Americans to 42% important to Canadians and much lower importance of religion to the Japanese and most European.

Maybe religion is just not as dominant in the States as you would like it but if over two thirds feel it is important and the elderly are more likely to vote than the young how can you say that religion doesn't affect your politics? Pay more attention to the rest of the World.
Most people do not have a need for there not be a God, so they do not mind at least identifying culturally with religion/God.

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

I don't have to make excuses. I know God is real and loving. An immoral God would not have given us many gifts like the ability to share laughter. Again, man created slavery. Why is it God's responsibility to clean up our messes? If He outlaws one thing then you would complain about the next. Then it will be why doesn't God force everyone to drive the speed limit? Then you will complain about the lack of free will.

Permitting is not approving. I made a completely valid point. God permitted divorced. He hated it. Slavery is not the will of God and everyone will be equal in the next life as it should be.
The real personal question here is...are you loving.

So god gave us laughter, but chose to allow others to be enslaved.

That's a disgraceful god who says, "I'll let the white folks laugh, but the Black folks...gotta keep them in chains, auction them off, split up families. But hey, I created life to be unfair."

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Boy. This was a hot thread while I was snoring. But a couple of observations. Neither Ozzy nor Jeff are Really supporting slavery. They are trying to pretend that what Looks like slavery in the Bible really wasn't. Well, of course it was. I saw no passages posted by Jeff that showed that it wasn't. A Hebrew slave that elects to stay does not make the slavery something else, and non -Hebrew slaves didn't even have that option. Jacob's slavery was still slavery. A freed slave who gets rich does not make the slavery non -slavery.

And at the same time, the Bible -apologists know that slavery is what it was as they have to excuse God for not saying it was wrong. They know it was wrong.

I don't need to say too too much about Ozzy's post. It is merely giving Religion the credit for what has actually been humanist social progress, with religion fighting it all the way. The only defence is to play the tattered old 'Stalin' card.

Finally, I have to defend Atheist Experience. While the atheists side sometimes don't handle calls the best way, very often what happen is that Christian calls in with a string of false arguments designed to get to 'Therefore Christianity is true'. It is justified in saying 'Stop. That was incorrect or bad logic'. And since the Christian won't stop talking, they must be cut off while it is explained where they are wrong.

I was rather amused by the poster who predicted that China would convert to Christianity and take over the world. At one time it looked like Communism was going to win. Now it's dead. And slowly and surely, Humanism has been winning more ground under the noses of the ideologies.
The bolded is the problem with fundies. They know what is in their book of magic is wrong, yet they twisted themselves into pretzels defending it, because, you know, that inerrancy thing.

It would be funny to watch if it didn't have real life consequences, and they tried to impose their faith on others through legislation.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:18 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Who created you if there is no God?
I'm a result of my parents having a copulation event. It may even have been a primate like encounter.Or perhaps it was more sublime. But for sure it was as a result of Part "A" and Part "B" being engaged in the manner that your type feel is the only way they should be used.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
God also created free will.
So your god is not all knowing.

JeffBase, god - not all knowing. Just making a note so I know which of the many arguments do not apply to you.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Tell me, do you think this verse is approving slavery?

" Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh." - 1 Peter 2:18-25
Tell me jeffbase, does this verse approve or condemns slaveory?

Ephesians 6:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

You’re a real piece of work jeffbase

Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Tell me jeffbase, does this verse approve or condemns slaveory?

Ephesians 6:5 New International Version (NIV)

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.

You’re a real piece of work jeffbase
Merely a seeker of the truth. I'll never get it from atheists who cant see beyond their biased shields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality