Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM

16,793 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I just can't stand rude arrogant people and your posts (which are mostly garbage) comes off with such tones.
You must really hate yourself.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:29 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Thank you for proving my point yet again.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure he's lying. I think he believes what he says.
I agree. They do believe what they are saying.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You cite denial of you making a good case. Well I reckon you presented your case and it didn't stand up. Others will have to decide whom they believe.

You present evidence and it is shown to be inadequate. This is not dismissal without consideration. Rather you dismiss the rebuttals on the grounds of bias. Backed up finally with the argument that we we are so rude that we have driven all the Christian apologists away, as well as a reason for your blocking people when another one is that you don't want to listen to what they have to say.

I can't of course comment on the accusation that some atheist apologists somewhere 'trashed' your source without looking at the evidence. Only comment that your accusations of our biased dismissal here don't seem to accurately reflect the rebuttals of the Evidence that you posted.
Atheist method of rebuttal and showing evidence is inadequate - You're wrong well because you're wrong, oh and you're stupid too!

Old 04-05-2019, 11:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, but when I see that mindset on here, not just with that poster but with the others who carry it, I remembered how pervasive that way of thinking was in the church in which I was brought up. It's a given that Christians are persecuted and fighting "the world" that is out there trying to fight against them and take away their faith. No one in a church that takes the Bible literally ever says, "Is that really true?"

Unfortunately, that mindset has been misused by those in power throughout history as an excuse to do exactly that unto others by playing the fear card.
I know right, I get all tingly and flushed that I get a chance to speak with non Christians, it's the Christians I get short with, but being around non Christians is giving the Christian opportunity to sharpen his sword or at least a chance to be an example of love, I mean, we already know they don't believe in God, why on Earth should we take offense of what they say? Christianity is not designed to be a little club that only allows their own flavor of belief.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, but when I see that mindset on here, not just with that poster but with the others who carry it, I remembered how pervasive that way of thinking was in the church in which I was brought up. It's a given that Christians are persecuted and fighting "the world" that is out there trying to fight against them and take away their faith. No one in a church that takes the Bible literally ever says, "Is that really true?"

Unfortunately, that mindset has been misused by those in power throughout history as an excuse to do exactly that unto others by playing the fear card.
So now you encouraging the atheist posters to mock me? And this is exactly why we don't get a fair shake here. Of course persecution is a real thing. When you take a stand for Christ, the enemy is going to attack you. Sad that so many people are completely oblivious to the very real spiritual warfare going on out there.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:40 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
My POV is more that if it is not all true, then why is it given any weight at all? After all, it either is or is not a message from a Divine All-Powerful Being; it isn't both simultaneously.
People aren't always truthful, even those we love, yet I'm certain you give weight to their words and measure them against your own scale of "reality." The Bible is not a message from the Divine whispered into someone's ear, it is a testimony of men about their understanding of the nature of God. Some of it hits a chord, and some of it is discordant. This illustrates the importance of not discarding intelligence or discernment (as jeff does) when approaching a book written by men who wanted to talk about God.
Quote:
Even though your personal beliefs are not entirely based on the Bible, they are still somewhat based on the Bible, are they not? Otherwise, how would you even know the terms "Jesus" and "Holy Spirit"?
I won't deny that the Bible played a role in a knowledge about Jesus. But it played a ROLE, it was not the primary reason for my salvation. No one sat down and started reading a Bible to me while saying believe this or believe that.
Quote:
In a previous post, you mentioned "meeting" Jesus. Would you be willing to describe one way that might happen? In other words, how would one recognize such an encounter?
Now that is the $64,000 question, and the thing that is hardest for non-believers to grasp. I could say "a small voice," and it was. I could say "it was a eureka moment in my mine," and it was. I could say "a light flashed before my eyes," and it did. But what was it? I don't know yet.

Let me give another far-out analogy for "fact" lovers. My father was in the AF from WWII through the mid-sixties. He flew on bombers for awhile as the radio communications operator. During the early fifties he took a flight from what I believe was Hunter AFB in Savannah, Georgia to Texas. On the flight someone reported an object flying on the six of their aircraft. The pilot began slowly banking and my Dad jumped up from his position to look out the window and see a saucer-shaped object, as big as their own plane, following them. He jumped on radio to tell the pilot and the pilot responded by banking more sharply to turn back toward the object. Dad jumped up to look out and he said he saw the object suddenly accelerate rapidly and swerve into a cloud bank.

The pilot reported what had been seen by several of the crew and was told to maintain radio silence. When they got to Texas the whole crew was confined overnight separate from one another, and each was questioned thoroughly.

When my father told me that story, I laughed and got a slap across the cheek for it. He truly believed there were flying saucers. BUT IT WASN'T MY EXPERIENCE and so I couldn't relate. Maybe it was "true" and maybe it wasn't, but it was most certainly his reality.

So it is with my meeting of Jesus. And I continue to experience Him in the most unlikely times and places. If I describe some of them you would reach a conclusion that I am hallucinating. If it weren't my experience I probably would agree.

I can't "show" you Jesus in a fashion you would find acceptable. It is up to YOU to "seek" in order to find. A desire for spiritual awareness and an earnestness in seeking it is necessary. I assure you this, when it happens you will know and know down to the core of your being. It's "magical," the very thing atheists do not want to consider.

My son, a recovering alcoholic, attends AA meetings and had to be "dried" out. He told me he wanted to recover but he didn't want God in the picture. Of course, the drying out facility as well as AA uses the twelve steps which are based on a "higher power." He didn't think he could sit through those meetings until one of the instructors said, "Some of you think you can do this without a higher power to assist you. How well has that worked? We are trying to give you the tools to win over this disease. Give faith in a higher power a try. Fake it till you make it.

He did, and he is now 18 months sober and such a remarkably improved person. Transformation, not information was what happened.

The way to recognize someone who is a Jesus follower is not how well they know the Bible but how well they treat those with other ideas and beliefs. Jesus never made fun of those people and was as kind to them as to His own disciples (often to their chagrin).

Biblical accuracy was never a goal in God's mind. The Bible is not a book of information, it is a book about transformation.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:53 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I don't know if he hates himself, but I do wonder why a man supposedly living the christian life is so angry.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:54 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,608,112 times
Quote:
So now you encouraging the atheist posters to mock me? And this is exactly why we don't get a fair shake here. Of course persecution is a real thing. When you take a stand for Christ, the enemy is going to attack you. Sad that so many people are completely oblivious to the very real spiritual warfare going on out there.
See? Another persecution complex post. Also proves that Jeff does not know what persecution even means, seeing as how someone responding to posts that he willingly types up does not meet the definition at all.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:00 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
WHAAAAT?

How the hell did you get THAT out of what I said????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality