Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That is what the graph shows. It was a swap (apparently) between mainline religion and 'Nones' and the rest pretty much the same.
Which I was the first one in this thread to observe by the way, but that's not important.

My most recent point, though, was that people were leaving some of the older conservative denominations for the non-denom churches.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:47 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Which I was the first one in this thread to observe by the way, but that's not important.

My most recent point, though, was that people were leaving some of the older conservative denominations for the non-denom churches.
That may be true. Is that your opinion, or do you have a source to cite?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Congratulations, anyway.

Quote:
Which idea doesn't seem to be borne out by the graph. As I recall there was even a hint at a very slight drop - off. But of no real significance, either way.

(having looked just now, evangelicals and Catholics a 3/4% drop - off. In the others, nothing much.)

Old 04-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Which idea doesn't seem to be borne out by the graph. As I recall there was even a hint at a very slight drop - off. But of no real significance, either way.
The nondenom churches are growing and they have to be coming from somewhere.

Anyway the graph is not that accurate. Many evangelical churches are more charismatic than they used to be. Christianity is more complex and evolving in it's various styles than I think can be measured on a graph going from past to present.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
The nondenom churches are growing and they have to be coming from somewhere.

Anyway the graph is not that accurate. Many evangelical churches are more charismatic than they used to be. Christianity is more complex and evolving in it's various styles than I think can be measured on a graph going from past to present.
If it doesn't support your view of things, it's not accurate.

Then why don't you actually give us some better data.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Here is an ABC news report. You can draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Ep0WHAsIY

Old 04-07-2019, 10:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I did skip through the Blather, somewhat, but I only saw a claim that 'millions' are joining the churches of the Holy Babble. If so, They must be drawing from the other charismatic churches, because the graph does not seem to show that they are coming from anywhere else. Assuming that the claim of mass joining is true and not wishful thinking.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Well for one thing, the OP claims that a large number of nones were atheists with zero evidence to back up that claim. When I did some research on the study, it turns out many nones are Christians or believers who simply just don't want to associate with a denomination anymore. Atheists are a minority.

Also, the OP is distorting the truth by only showing one side of the reality. Ok, sure Nones are growing, but according to this article, evangelicals are NOT dropping.

Quote:

Other than one outlier—a slight peak of 24.7 percent in 2012—evangelicals have ranged from 22.5 percent to 24 percent of the US population over the past 10 years.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...urvey-gss.html

Sorry bub, but we are not going extinct.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Here is an ABC news report. You can draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Ep0WHAsIY
Speaking in "other tongues" is a sign for unbelievers. Speaking gibberish just drives them away. At Pentecost when many began speaking in other tongues, outsiders understood what they were saying.

My own experience as a young marine at a Pentecostal service on Okinawa was I heard another young man praying in Hebrew. Didn't at all understand the vast majority of words, but interspersed were a few that were identifiable.

I suggest refraining from showing gibberish as it doesn't help non-believers understand anything at all.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well for one thing, the OP claims that a large number of nones were atheists with zero evidence to back up that claim. When I did some research on the study, it turns out many nones are Christians or believers who simply just don't want to associate with a denomination anymore. Atheists are a minority.

Also, the OP is distorting the truth by only showing one side of the reality. Ok, sure Nones are growing, but according to this article, evangelicals are NOT dropping.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...urvey-gss.html

Sorry bub, but we are not going extinct.
Then we have a battle of stats. But your stats are from a clearly biased source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality