Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 09:20 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Because atheism is so un-scientific, the only conclusion that most mature thinking people can make is that an atheist is someone who hates God or the idea of God.

The best comparison would be Icharus who flew too high. Or perhaps the arrogant giraffe who thinks he understands the complexities of the universe.
Do you have such an immature mind that the only conclusion you come up with is an atheist is a person who hates God? Are Christians people who hate the Hindu Gods, Jews defined as those that hate Jesus? Any person who comes up with the notion that atheists hate God or the idea of a God are people looking for excuses for their own hate for those who are not the same.

My conclusion from Jeff's history of posting and folks like you supporting his link is that you will only accept science as the study of why atheism is wrong. Scientists writing in their field of expertise in evolution, climate change, geology, biogeography, cosmology, archeology, anthropology and every other field of science are dismissed as liars and wrong but this one scientist who clearly misdefined the meaning of atheism writing for an organization that is anti science must be accepted as the expert and his claim must be accepted by all unquestionably is absolute nonsense.

I am sure that the giraffe that you are always attacking is a finer person than yourself. Not sure why you think as low as you do about him but haters must hate. That must be the reason that you think we hate every god there has ever been.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You and Trans have both said that now. Does that mean that atheism is actually a complex belief system. Because some of you have tried to imply that it is more like a natural state of being, which I have always thought was a dimwitted attitude.
No, atheism is a very simple concept: a lack in a belief in a God. It must be a very scary concept to many believers because they appear to be unable to understand it and therefore lie and distort it to something that they can now attack, fear and hate. It's that simple, demonize your opponent to make them easier to hate.

You demonize and create strawman so you too can hate us. It's sad but it is what you do. Most atheists do not believe in a God due to lack of evidence. I believe that the Bible is sufficient evidence to demonstrate if there is a God he one of the Bible is not the God.

One has to ask themselves if a person needs to distort and be totally dishonest about a simple concept of atheism what else are they willing to be dishonest about. You have posted in the atheist and agnostic forum and have been die Ted to read the Q&A as well free to go a dictionary to read the definitiins. That you support a distorted and deliberate lying about atheism speaks not so well about your own 9etsonal character.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:52 AM

50,833 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do you have such an immature mind that the only conclusion you come up with is an atheist is a person who hates God? Are Christians people who hate the Hindu Gods, Jews defined as those that hate Jesus? Any person who comes up with the notion that atheists hate God or the idea of a God are people looking for excuses for their own hate for those who are not the same.

My conclusion from Jeff's history of posting and folks like you supporting his link is that you will only accept science as the study of why atheism is wrong. Scientists writing in their field of expertise in evolution, climate change, geology, biogeography, cosmology, archeology, anthropology and every other field of science are dismissed as liars and wrong but this one scientist who clearly misdefined the meaning of atheism writing for an organization that is anti science must be accepted as the expert and his claim must be accepted by all unquestionably is absolute nonsense.

I am sure that the giraffe that you are always attacking is a finer person than yourself. Not sure why you think as low as you do about him but haters must hate. That must be the reason that you think we hate every god there has ever been.
Thank you for that post.

You can always find a professional person on almost any side of an issue. And so to simply reference one scientist who believes "x" means little. The question is, do scientists have a relatively collective point of view. But when I go back to my college years and the geology professors that I spent time with, many of them were religious to varying degrees. It still doesn't mean they were right...or wrong.

You make a very good point about hating in the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately, shallow thinking results in simplifying the POVs of atheists and other groups of people that are different than Ozzy and Jeff and others.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Because atheism is so un-scientific, the only conclusion that most mature thinking people can make is that an atheist is someone who hates God or the idea of God.

The best comparison would be Icharus who flew too high. Or perhaps the arrogant giraffe who thinks he understands the complexities of the universe.
You really don't understand atheism do you? How can one hate something one doesn't believe in? Do you hate the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy?

It's been said many times before, all atheism is a non-believe in a god or gods. No less, no more. It has nothing to do with being "unscientific".

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Scientism?
One could well say so - the way Theist apologetics uses it. Atheism accepts that the agreed findings of the experts in the field are the best basis for basing discussion on and reaching conclusion from. But a scientist is just another layman in areas outside of their expertise.

The Apologist -theist habit of waving about a scientist who gets an award from a religious foundation for slamming atheism when the fellow clearly knows nothing about it is a form of scientism with the equally common habit of dismissing them out of hand if an expert consensus is reached that doesn't suit their faith.

I also add that the protests of the religious apologists that we are constantly disagreeing with what they present as evidence is only because they are constantly presenting bad evidence.

Quote:
You and Trans have both said that now. Does that mean that atheism is actually a complex belief system. Because some of you have tried to imply that it is more like a natural state of being, which I have always thought was a dimwitted attitude.
Your pronouncements on atheism are as invalid as that of our award -winning scientist, because neither of you understand atheism, nor apparently want to, as he could have read what atheists actually think and you could have seen it here. Instead you prefer your prejudices.

Atheism is very, very simple.

Nobody knows whether there is a god or not.

No really convincing evidence has been presented for the existence of any god or gods.

Logic therefore mandates that Belief in any god - claim should be withheld until some persuasive evidence is presented.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-07-2019 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 11:00 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Religious practice is based upon observation and positive conclusions. To me, that is scientific.

And no, I don't hate atheists. But I have very good reason to hate anyone who brutally gangs up on others, and not realize or understand when they are doing it, or at least pretend not to.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:03 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Religion is unscientific? Since it is based on observation, I would say that religion is one of the most scientific things that a person can practice.
In the same way as observing my left elbow is.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for that post.

You can always find a professional person on almost any side of an issue. And so to simply reference one scientist who believes "x" means little. The question is, do scientists have a relatively collective point of view. But when I go back to my college years and the geology professors that I spent time with, many of them were religious to varying degrees. It still doesn't mean they were right...or wrong.

You make a very good point about hating in the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately, shallow thinking results in simplifying the POVs of atheists and other groups of people that are different than Ozzy and Jeff and others.
Thank you. I find it frustrating that some people will never end their false beliefs. Am not talking about religion or the belief in a God. I have zero problems with people believing and have friends and relatives who are very devout. It's those whose either religion or personal angry attacks non Christians, liberal Christians, science, atheism, LBGT, and even fairness and tolerance with very dishonest, distain and outright hatred beyond what I can almost imagine.

To the Jeffs, OzzyRules and others who I refer to above, we are not after your religion so calm down. I would like to see you use your religion as a tool for a better life rather than as a weapon to lessen the quality of life of another. I just don't like being told that because I am not a believer I cannot have the feelings that other humans feel, or morality or a meaning to my life. I realize that you make these claims in order to be able to view me as a lesser person. Dehumanizing worked in the American slave trade, on immigrants, on Jews resulting in the Final solution or what happened in Rwanda. And I don't want your religion ruling my life.

What I most want from this forum is an honest discussion where I can learn from you and you can learn from me. That cannot happen at all with religious people who insist on using false definitions of atheism and setting up strawman to fight instead of answering questions or even asking questions in order to increase understanding between us. There are many religious posters who I have enjoyed discussions with and would be more than willing to sit down for an afternoon over tea or a beer and chat. I think that there are some for which it would be impossible due to what appears to be a mixture of anger, fear and hate.

When I say something that you do not think is true, rather than attacking or insulting please inform me of how you think I am incorrect and back it up. I actually try to do this but either I am not proficient in doing this, the recreceipant are not willing to take it so or a combination of such. I do not hate your God or your religion. I hate the appearance you have is that anyone who does not believe as you do is immoral and unworthy humans who must be attacked at every opportunity.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Religious practice is based upon observation and positive conclusions. To me, that is scientific.
Not really. Observation - ok. But you left out verification and replaced it with jumping to Faith -based or 'positive' as you put it, conclusions. Bias -confirmation has no place in science.

Quote:
And no, I don't hate atheists. But I have very good reason to hate anyone who brutally gangs up on others, and not realize or understand when they are doing it, or at least pretend not to.
It probably escapes you that seeing Christians outnumbering atheists and clamouring at them to Turn, repent and be saved, is seen by your Ilk as an act of kindness, but when atheists have the majority and refute this clamour from a couple of gutsy theists who keep trying to persuade us, that is seen as 'brutally ganging - up'. This, to put it politely, is 'double -standards' that you don't realise or pretend that you don't, for the purposes of atheist -bashing in lieu of any better apologetic.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-07-2019 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 11:12 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
No, atheism is based on observation. We see no gods, we see no walking on water, we see no intelligent beings just existing, we see religious people making things up to defend their beliefs.

Quote:
We are not 'brutally ganging up', we are all responding to stupid and dishonest arguments. Even the intelligent theists are doing this. And you are defending the person with stupid and dishonest arguments. Did you even read Jeff's link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality