Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And yet the poster above you is using anecdotal testimony. Atheists do it all the time in their posts here but quickly through up the "I only accept anything that can be proven with the scientific method" flag when it suits you.

BTW, a prize winning physicist came out recently saying that atheism is nott compatible with the scientific method. Chew on that one.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...hysicist-says/

When you claim as if it is proven fact that there is no God, you are not being scientific.
The Templeton Foundation is considered by many to be a right wing political organization. So let's be honest that there's bias there.

Having actually read the article (I wonder...did you?) the physicist basically said that coming to the absolute conclusion that there is no god is not compatible with the scientific method. I would agree. Most of us here -- including me -- will freely admit that we could be convinced...but still haven't been. So we don't fit the stereotype thinking of Gleiser.

But let me give you something to chew on: that's one scientist. There are others on both sides of the aisle.

Bottom line: Once again, you don't understand science...or atheism.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
some atheism is not comparable with the method.

Specifically the sect of atheism that preaches to deny everything so that theist can't use the science and make atheism harder to sell. That sect also deploys the notion "IT doesn't matter to my life, and religion does, so deny anything theist can use and make atheism harder to sell."

keep Fundy think theism and Fundy think atheism in the class/type of of people. They have executive functioning disconnects and resist the regular personal use of commonsense.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:20 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
And yet the poster above you is using anecdotal testimony. Atheists do it all the time in their posts here but quickly through up the "I only accept anything that can be proven with the scientific method" flag when it suits you.

BTW, a prize winning physicist came out recently saying that atheism is nott compatible with the scientific method. Chew on that one.

When you claim as if it is proven fact that there is no God, you are not being scientific.
Your problem (and that physicist, apparently) is that you have both been sold this 'Final Declration' canard that Christianity has foisted on atheism.

We do not declare that there is no god (and he shows how little he has talked to atheists about this as he acts like we never heard the 'which god?' argument) though we do say that we are confident that the god of the Bible does not exist, aside from a technical agnosticism. I hope this dude is willing to be educated about atheism. You had opportunity to be educated about right here, so you have no excuse. Other than that this eternal canard is pretty much universal amongst Christians, no matter how much we try to tell them different.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
First of all, unless you are familiar with my storied history here, you have no right to lay down such judgements. Do you even realize the level of DIRECT personal attacks I got from posters here? I've been called a child molester and other lies just made up like that I am a closet homosexual. That's what atheists do. Nothing is too low for them to post as long as it makes the Christian look bad. Disgusting lies that I would never do to someone else here. It's not a fair shake when this is a forum that is 90% anti-evangelical including the moderators. Just rename the board Bible burning lovers and be done with it.

Show me one post where I called someone out personally and directed and insulted their character. For one thing, it is INCREDIBLY arrogant to judge a person's entire character based only one some internet posts.

Completely wrong on so many accounts. I already know the posters here have hardened their hearts. It will only take a supernatural experience with God to change them. What does make me angry is when people run others down and then try to justify it. It is because of my strong desire to love and encourage others that makes me really bristle when I encounter rude arrogant bully types. If you think that makes me a deplorable human being then you really do live in wacko atheist land where bad is good and good is bad. You are right in that my temperature has become a bit too much in these threads so I should take a break from here. Course God's Word promised we would be treated this way.

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."

Matthew 5:11
jesus was against literal religion.

he would have been against teaching that he literally died and rose for our sins.

he was smarter than that.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:

The prize he won is the Templeton Prize. It would have been m9re upfront if you had stated that it was a religious not a scientific prize he had won.

The atheist stand is we do not believe in a God due to the lack of evidence. Some atheists claim that they know thete is no God. Which atheist actually claimed that there was proven that there was no God..

Get you assertions correct. Aren't you obliged to not give false testimony.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:

This physicist doesn't even understand what "atheist" means. You don't either, it seems.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:06 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:

BTW, there's nothing wrong with anecdotes, although they are not scientific. Anecdotes are not based on scientific data, but they may be cited as examples of scientific phenomenon.

Again...you don't understand science.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:

He defines atheism incorrectly. Obviously not his area of expertise.

Atheism is simply not having a belief in a god or gods. Simple, no more, and no less. It is no more a religion than bald is a hair color. The scientific method is based on the principle of falsification. Science never proves something true, it only shows what the best possible answer is, one that is repeatable, and the method to determine those.

It is easy to prove atheism as false. All that needs to be done is show us evidence of a god or gods. Not 3000 year old stories, but verifiable, repeatable proof. But know one has been able to do that any more than they could prove Russel's Tea Pot. You don't get to inject "goddunnit" into an unknown.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Under those criteria, I would fall under the None umbrella. But I believe "something" knits together all that is. And that "something" may or may not be conscious of itself as "something apart" from everything else.

Or, it may be in the process of growing into that awareness.

Which would be way-cool, since we're a part of it.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Under those criteria, I would fall under the None umbrella. But I believe "something" knits together all that is. And that "something" may or may not be conscious of itself as "something apart" from everything else.

Or, it may be in the process of growing into that awareness.

Which would be way-cool, since we're a part of it.
Sure, we are part of the whole, but it is part of us. You've probably seen this, but it is very poignant, and no woo needed to accept it.

https://youtu.be/9D05ej8u-gU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality