Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well put. This is a rather common tactic of theirs. Because they believe strength in numbers is what decides on whether or not something is right -- a huge fallacy -- they use the numbers that believe in religion as their measuring stick, even though many of those religions do not support at all their own religion, or in some cases denounce their own religion. It's the kind of tactic Professor Marvel would have used.
No...it is the common tactic of yours, et al, to try to claim an equation of numbers with truth.
The "truth" that's noted is that numbers possess such great power and influence...that level of "mojo" can supersede facts/truth in it's ability to win people over and be a major factor in their thinking and behavior.
And that IS true...whether you like it or not. Quit with false accusations of putting forth a pure Ad Populum argument...that is not what is being done. And you know that.
In Summation: Numbers often equal power so great, it rolls over and crushes truth/facts, and dominates regardless of veracity.
Got it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No...it is the common tactic of yours, et al, to try to claim an equation of numbers with truth.
The "truth" that's noted is that numbers possess such great power and influence...that level of "mojo" can supersede facts/truth in it's ability to win people over and be a major factor in their thinking and behavior.
And that IS true...whether you like it or not. Quit with false accusations of putting forth a pure Ad Populum argument...that is not what is being done. And you know that.
In Summation: Numbers often equal power so great, it rolls over and crushes truth/facts, and dominates regardless of veracity.
Got it now?
Half of what you just said is my point.

Got it now?

Old 06-02-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and? The point is, what is the value of all that 'mojo' as you call it, if the mojo is false. We can't say that something has value when most of it or all of it is based on something that isn't true. The 'mojo' is what is true not how many people believe something.
But you are the one that keeps expounding on the 'mojo' of religion. If the religion is false what value does the mojo have?
Quite so old beast.
What is the value? Really?
Look at the value of Religious material & monetary holdings. Or it's ability to get people to give up anything (even their life), or do anything.
Influence of that magnitude is the most valuable thing there is!
You just hate it that Religion has that kinda power...and Atheism is pathetically weak in that regard.
Truth/Facts are almost completely helpless in the face of great contradictory popularity. THAT is what's true...and you know it, ya old geezer!

Old 06-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
What is the value? Really?
Look at the value of Religious material & monetary holdings. Or it's ability to get people to give up anything (even their life), or do anything.
Influence of that magnitude is the most valuable thing there is!
You just hate it that Religion has that kinda power...and Atheism is pathetically weak in that regard.
Truth/Facts are almost completely helpless in the face of great contradictory popularity. THAT is what's true...and you know it, ya old geezer!
It's deeply unfortunate that religion relies on that.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
However, as I indicated previously, I'm not interested in discussing your pet project, which is off topic since it has nothing to do with why Jesus identified as a male.
Why, then have you ignored my post on the topic using science especially given your post below:
Quote:
Actually, it could just as well be true that when virtually nobody believes something it could still be true. This is what science has proven again and again over the centuries.
No one believes hermaphrodites can self impregnate, but the XY chromosome issue is not that clearcut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, while Hermaphrodites are not known to impregnate themselves and they are rare, regarding the Y chromosome, fertility with a dominant XY mosaic is rarer, but at least one case (besides Mary?) has existed in modern times.

As of 2010, there have been at least 11 reported cases of fertility in true hermaphrodite humans in the scientific literature, with one case of a person with XY-predominant (96%) mosaic giving birth.

Source:
Schoenhaus, S. A.; Lentz, S. E.; Saber, P; Munro, M. G.; Kivnick, S (2008). "Pregnancy in a hermaphrodite with a male-predominant mosaic karyotype". Fertility and Sterility. 90 (5): 2016.e7–10. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.01.104
. PMID 18394621

Old 06-02-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why, then have you ignored my post on the topic using science especially given your post below: No one believes hermaphrodites can self impregnate, but the XY chromosome issue is not that clearcut.
I'm sorry, I don't share your deep interest in hermaphrodites.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:37 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't share your deep interest in hermaphrodites.
My deep interest is in the science supporting or not supporting extant thinking and interpretations. Yours seems somewhat myopic.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
It's deeply unfortunate that religion relies on that.
I agree. But that still doesn't change the fact that that's how it is, and has been for a couple thousand years.
Mock and insult it all you want, in any way you can think of...it is still gonna dominate.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I agree. But that still doesn't change the fact that that's how it is, and has been for a couple thousand years.
Mock and insult it all you want, in any way you can think of...it is still gonna dominate.
Well, I'm not so sure that we're in a place where we can say it is truly dominating anymore. In fact, some of the attempts to dominate sometimes look a little desperate.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Oh, is that your point?

However, as I indicated previously, I'm not interested in discussing your pet project, which is off topic since it has nothing to do with why Jesus identified as a male.
diversion and avoidance. your personal onion is not evidence. your personal opinion is no more valid than jimmie's. I get it though, you stay within a strick defined set of limits. "but they are meanies and have to be stopped."

I don't care phet, I only do how the universe works. I am truly sorry for how some people treated you, but at some point others don't have to define you.

your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality