Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are two types of psychics. Real psychics, who do not rely on the numbers game. And psychics who are fakes and use the numbers.

But just so you know, I'm not going to go on and on with this forever, because in terms of whether or not you believe in psychics, frankly Scarlett...
Absolutely no need to go on with any discussion you don't want to further entertain, with me or anyone else for that matter...

I'm not usually one to "drop off" when it comes to ongoing discussion in any thread that may or may not lead to more interesting comments, perhaps from others too. I'm just sharing mine as I'm either asked or otherwise inspired. Okay?

No one in this forum really cares all that much whether anyone or everyone else agrees with them I don't think. My goal is simply to "compare notes" along these lines with people also interested and so inclined, but believe me when I assure you I have no delusions or illusions about changing anyone's mind about this either...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
And so one visit to some unknown psychic will lead you to a firm conclusion about psychics in general.
How many should I visit in your opinion, assuming I visit one known to be "reputable," well known and/or popular? I mean seriously?

How does one go about learning the truth about this for themselves from an objective standpoint? Continue until I'm wowed by something one of them eventually tells me?

Here too the question of quantity vs probability...

How many visits do you think it will take? How many did it take for you? And/or what is the probability I will experience something truly exceptional the first time? Or any time?

Old 09-01-2019, 11:56 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
How many should I visit in your opinion, assuming I visit one known to be "reputable," well known and/or popular? I mean seriously?

How does one go about learning the truth about this for themselves from an objective standpoint? Continue until I'm wowed by something one of them eventually tells me?

Here too the question of quantity vs probability...

How many visits do you think it will take? How many did it take for you? And/or what is the probability I will experience something truly exceptional the first time? Or any time?
I don't think you can place a number on it. But how will you determine "reputable"?

I told you before, I'm not going to play your numbers game. I'm actually a big supporter of data, but not in all things.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think you can place a number on it. But how will you determine "reputable"?

I told you before, I'm not going to play your numbers game. I'm actually a big supporter of data, but not in all things.
I don't think you can place a number on it either, but whatever the number ends up to be tends to tell us something, and so begins the importance of paying attention to such things. Far as I'm concerned anyway...

Just FYI, some call it "the numbers game" (as I have), but it's not really a game at all. Probabilities, understanding how they work, whether it be "margin of error" or "confidence levels" or statistics in general are always part of better understanding much about what goes on around us, whether we use these numbers, mathematical tools or not. Of course understanding them is the first step. Not to support data in any case is yet another statement you make rather hard for me to understand or accept, but no need to "debate" this either. Just saying, as I've got to sign off now and get on with the "Big Breakfast" always expected of me on Sundays. Probability is very high I will get started on it by this time on Sundays for all variety of reasons, much as I'd like to stay and play here a little longer.

Maybe tomorrow!

Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
If life exists elsewhere (as most of us tend to think likely) why not a UFO of alien origin?

Right! No good reason to SUPPOSE anything rather than wait until we know better...

Another inexplicable sighting I once experienced back in high school was the very mysterious "green mist."

There was all kinds of talk about how a friend of mine had experienced this "green mist" coming down a hillside and how he had even been able to show a few other friends of mine who all swore they saw the same thing. Spooking and entirely inexplicable. After some time, I told my friend I had to see this for myself...

Soon after, my friend agreed to take me to the spot but no guarantees we'd see anything, because he made clear to me that sometimes the "green mist" wouldn't show. Needless to say, I agreed, because there really are no guarantees when it comes to supernatural phenomena (or whatever this was), and off we drove into the night to where the "green mist" would sometimes appear.

I was driving, but my friend lead us to the spot to park and just sit in the quiet, waiting for the "green mist" to appear. We were good friends, no matter, just sat their quietly chit chatting about nothing for some time. I got to thinking the night would be a bust when all of a sudden he yelled "THERE!" He was pointing to the hillside in front of us and grabbed my leg yelling "GO! GO! Get out of here!" And sure enough, there was a green mist moving slowly down the hill and directly headed toward us!

I had pretty good reflexes back then, good in sports and all that, and I was moving that car in reverse before I even knew I was doing so. I drove a short distance about as fast as I could until I got a hold of myself.

I stopped and noticed the headlights of another car high in front of us on another hill that before had been behind us. Without saying anything (and despite my friend's objections) I turned the car back in the direction of the hillside where we had seen the "green mist," now gone. Followed soon after by another that appeared as a result of another car illuminating the hill in front of us with it's headlights from behind us.

I'm a little embarrassed to this day to admit, I was totally taken by my friend's little ruse, even a little scared! Of course from then on I also became one of the sworn witnesses of the "green mist" whenever any new skeptic came along...
Currently the only evidence we have available to us on the subject of life, is right here on Earth. As it happens, on Earth at least, life is supremely abundant. Millions of living species to examine. Tens of millions or perhaps hundreds of millions of species have gone extinct. And out of those many millions of species over the course of billions of years, how many species have had just the right physical attributs combined with the intelligence necessary to create high technology?

ONE! One species. If any of the other species that have gone extinct were technologically capable, they left no evidence of it.

So we are left to conclude that species capable of the incredible level of high technology required for interstellar travel is incredibly rare.

Now, let's consider the distances. The nearest star to us, other than the sun, is Proxima Centauri, which is about 4.22 light-years away. One light year is about 5.88 trillion miles. Which means the closest star system to us is more than 24 trillion miles away. Proxima Centauri has at least one Earth sized (slightly larger than the Earth) exoplanet that COULD conceivably support life. What are the odds that this planet, Proxima Centauri b, has intelligent life capable of crossing 24 trillion miles to reach Earth? Very VERY poor!

The Voyager spacecraft, which was launched in 1967, has left our solar system and is now in interstellar space. Voyager is traveling at about 40,000 miles per hour. Voyager is not heading in the direction of Proxima Centauri, our nearest neighbor, but if it was it would take almost 70,000 years to get there.

The only place that we are certain that has life is right here in Earth. Current estimates indicate that life first arose on Earth about 3.5 billion years ago. There has been absolutely NO evidence discovered so far which would indicate that any other species besides humans have been capable of creating high technology. One species out of many millions of species over the course of billions of years. The implication is that a species with all the necessary qualifications for developing high technology, not merely intelligence, but size and physical dexterity, is extraordinary RARE. And then there are the trillions and trillions of miles between stars to overcome.

Given the odds of a species evolving the right combination of high intelligence and the physiological characteristics necessary to create high technology in the first place, it may well be that such a thing might occur less than one time per galaxy. In which case, the chances of two such species ever meeting is astonishingly low.

So when one is considering the possibility that the Earth is being visited by extraterrestrial beings, a person can either choose to use their powers of intelligence and reasoning... or they can buy what THIS GUY is peddling!

Old 09-01-2019, 02:35 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The really sad thing about here in the West is that these tools of right-brain discipline are so egregiously misused by hucksters and con artists. The fakes and fraudsters abound casting aspersions on any legitimate uses. It would be a different world if these tools were legitimately taught as widely as the left-brain disciplines. The impact of money and greed has as corrosive an effect on the practice of the right-brain disciplines as it does on the churches. In my personal opinion only, the use of right-brain skills and disciplines of enlightenment for pecuniary gain instead of gainful employment is a misuse of those skills and a denigration of the gifts God has provided.
It's a worthy opinion, in my personal opionion only.

When I took the Tarot course with my friend, I wanted to just learn about it for my own information. There's an entire interesting history on the family that developed them in medieval Italy and the artwork on the standard Rider-Waite deck and the artist who painted the originals.

There were about 30 people in the class. I was amazed at how many said they were learning Tarot because they wanted to do readings for money.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:40 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I'll be in Ireland in October, and just for this group, I'm going to look into this Loch Ness monster issue personally and report back. I've also been inspired to visit a psychic for the same reason(s) and report back on that experience too.
Let us know how that works out for you. Loch Ness is in Scotland.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:47 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I missed that! You made me laugh out loud!

Old 09-01-2019, 03:07 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:

LOL! Maybe Nessie be a-travelin' too.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I hitchhiked around Europe when I was 20. I spent an evening on the shores of Loch Ness with a mickey of Scotch. Despite the Scotch, I never got a glimpse of Nessie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality