Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Nice deflect.

"Learn me is his own person rather than 'on our side', so far as i have gathered."

How do you gather who is on "your side" and who is not?
One who disputes our position is perhaps not on Our Side (which is, as I said, rather Your concept - not a 'deflect'). At times i answer posts that disagree with something atheists have said and I can't recall whether they are atheist or theist that post it. Side isn't important - other than to you it seems. What is a sound argument is what's important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Wow! That's sad. It doesn't take much for you new-atheists to throw one of your own under the bus! #mobrules
How sad and dishonest. Pretending a human trait is a weakness of new atheism.

Quote:
I don't agree with all of LearnMe's 'Nine Truths', but I do admire him for taking the initiative to put together an explicit case for his materialist worldview and offer it up to be critiqued. Someone who does something like that stands out from the crowd, in my books. Most others have never prepared a document of their own like that. Yes, he promotes his "Truths" often, but so what? Some of you people have been on this forum for over a decade and I'm sure you've repeated yourselves many times.
Yes, our arguments ARE shorter. And you still run away from them.

And we are sure you have posted the same refuted Youtube videos many times.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:05 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Nice deflect.

"Learn me is his own person rather than 'on our side', so far as i have gathered."

You tell us, apparently.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:51 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:

We all have our own means of 'gathering' our side. I think I can safely say that many of us have 'gathered' many of you onto our side.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:57 AM

I have noticed that for some time, there has been little posting for the cause of religion or even a god. But masses of posts trying to make atheism (often by attacking individual posters) look bad.

This is actually fine as refuting this misconcieved and prejudiced anti atheist prapagandist polemics will explain Our unapologetically atheist Side, the fearful hostility of the Theist side (which includes 'agnostic' anti -atheists, it seems) and reiterate the weakness of their arguments which so often seem to be trying to force us to wear the badges that a Liberalism - hating, satanic panic - mongering anti -atheist Cultural mindset has been handing out to it's members like Jesus -fish bumper -stickers.

The effect is rather as if evangelists went around slapping sticky labels saying 'Jesus loves you whether you like it or not' badges on everyone. Not an analogy but the feeling being offered real polemic offence. It's not always easy to give a reasoned refutation rather than post "How bloody dare you?"

Which could have been the intent anyway

Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times
That is why religion is not discussed at dinner parties.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
That is why religion is not discussed at dinner parties.
Or anyone who does isn't invited again.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:11 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Wow! That's sad. It doesn't take much for you new-atheists to throw one of your own under the bus! #mobrules

I don't agree with all of LearnMe's 'Nine Truths', but I do admire him for taking the initiative to put together an explicit case for his materialist worldview and offer it up to be critiqued. Someone who does something like that stands out from the crowd, in my books. Most others have never prepared a document of their own like that. Yes, he promotes his "Truths" often, but so what? Some of you people have been on this forum for over a decade and I'm sure you've repeated yourselves many times.
Thank you, but no doubt I've pushed the boundaries some along these lines. Just can't help but think how those truths so directly respond to so many comments posted in this forum. Also as explained a few times before, even by others, there is always the new person who might come along and share their thoughts about the same.

I really don't mean to be "self-promoting," at all. Mostly I'm just looking for further discussion and/or validation, exactly yes, to be critiqued! But again no doubt, especially for the regulars, seeing my repeated mention of the Ten Truths has to get old for those who can't simply ignore what they've seen before.

I also make that mistake too. That my comment or any comments of no interest to others will simply be ignored. Like I do, but rather than that simple tack, there are always the people who would rather be rude and mean instead. All duly noted in any case. Hell, I find it hard not to feel the great majority of these comments are nothing but repeated either way.

Thanks again for your comment after reading a few from the more mean-spirited types. Some who I ignore entirely as a rule...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-22-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It isn't a case of throwing 'one of our own' (Learn me is his own person rather than 'on our side', so far as i have gathered) under anything, but at looking at what makes sense, never mind whose 'side' the argument is on. I can well see that to you Which Side (never mind pointing the finger at those nasty atheists turning on their own)is the basis of the argument rather than 'what's true'. I have just preferred to apply the logic of debate however it needs to be, rather than taking some codified Ten point template to be placed over every argument.
Interesting...

I would guess that anyone who has considered my point of view would understand that I am an atheist, plain and simple. I am not one who really likes to "take sides" as you suggest, or "join the crowd," be a part of the "peanut gallery," but no one who pays attention to who expresses their opinion in this forum can have much doubt what side of this debate I tend to favor.

True I am my own person in terms of simply attempting or sharing what I like to think is a little different approach and what you describe as "codified" always seems to me to be a bit of proof that we are just simply hashing and rehashing what can be simply summarized and repeated without having to "reinvent the wheel" or say the exact same thing in a different way every time around.

Was a thought anyway, that had me put together what I did many years ago. Forgotten and then reminded about them because of the never-ending comments about the same thing forever repeated in this forum.

Unfortunately, another truth is the same band of people are mostly participating in this forum and new comers are relatively rare. I've had hopes for more new comers but recognizing the reality that mostly it's just the same rather small group of contributors who most like to exchange opinion in these threads, I've not been able to avoid them while focused on the new comers. My bad...

Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. That you used the term 'One of your own'; You talked about 'sides'. I used the term 'His own person'.
Again I'm not sure about all this "taking sides" business, but no doubt I'm not the only one who has met the wrath of people who don't much share the same "side" or opinion or style or temperament or civility...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality