Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 09:04 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Truth is...

I have never cared whether a thread stay on topic. I prefer people comment whatever they like and of course the option to stay on topic is always one to take up if that is preferred as well.

Also not true what MQ and others seem intent on believing and forever misrepresenting as my intentions or goal. I find the subject of religion a very interesting one an one I've studied a long time as a result. I make comments and start threads born of that interest and no doubt my perspective doesn't always ring well with some people. That's not really my concern any more than getting people to agree with me.

My interest is simple and has never really changed since I began in this forum years ago (for reasons entirely unrelated to this comment). I am simply interested and enjoy the exchange of intelligent, reasoned and civil opinion about subjects that interest me. In so doing I all too often must either ignore or contend with much in the way of emotional, defensive and contrary opinion that tends to get unnecessarily petty and nasty, but still, every now and then, this forum provides some return on my investment.

Here's to the best ROI possible as is always my hope regardless those who don't participate here in the same spirit...
As you are aware, since you thoroughly read and understood the Forum Rules when you joined the forum, this is one of them:

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

I just reread it looking for the part that says, "unless LearnMe cares", but I couldn't find it.

Threads do veer off topic, and I have been guilty of causing that myself. But it's my job as a mod to correct it when I see it, even if it means deleting my own posts, which I've done. Putting your hands on your hips and stamping your feet will not change the rules. And THAT'S a Truth.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:02 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As you are aware, since you thoroughly read and understood the Forum Rules when you joined the forum, this is one of them:

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

I just reread it looking for the part that says, "unless LearnMe cares", but I couldn't find it.

Threads do veer off topic, and I have been guilty of causing that myself. But it's my job as a mod to correct it when I see it, even if it means deleting my own posts, which I've done. Putting your hands on your hips and stamping your feet will not change the rules. And THAT'S a Truth.
With all due respect, again I must point out you misunderstand me entirely...

I fully understand the rule you are emphasizing, but I am simply explaining that I personally don't care if someone goes off-topic in a thread, in the least. I also don't have any intention to take a thread off-topic, since I only participate in threads with topics of interest to me!

I fully understand these rules and the roles of moderators as well, and I abide by whatever moderation felt necessary as we bump along. I can't get too wound up about any of this either way. Mostly just chit chat for most of us I think. Not much else for me anyway.

Sometimes, however, a comment may veer a bit off the beaten path one way or another, and I might respond to a comment like that or make such a comment without any goal to derail the thread. No intentions along those lines on my part in any case.

Please! At ease!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 05:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
The answer is no.

most people understand that we are part of larger more complex system. Ig we classify a human as alive, how do we classify that larger, more complex, system? toss in we are all the same field .. and poof. rational people can think rationally, for the most part that is.

"anti-anything-that-religion-can-use" or "deny-everything" just is not the most rational position and will always be on one side of the bell curve.

religion can be rendered to having the same influence as the local lacrosse youth leagues. Thats my hope. Hmmm, those mom can cause quite a stir though.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:34 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,193,436 times
The only way to get rid of religion:

1) invent a drug (medication) that gets rid of the fear of death.

2) invent another drug (medication) that gets rid of the pain from losing a loved one.

3) have an economy where robots do literally everything, so no one has to work.

4) never have another war, ever.

Until those things happen, people will continue to cling to religion to cope with the pain and suffering of the human condition.

(Religious organizations and their leaders are aware of the above, which is why they have worked tirelessly throughout human history to prevent social, scientific, medical, and economic progress. Less pain and suffering equals fewer customers.)

Old 10-14-2019, 05:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
another line of logic that points to "no".

Old 10-14-2019, 06:01 PM

23,217 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

2) invent another drug (medication) that gets rid of the pain from losing a loved one.

Until those things happen, people will continue to cling to religion to cope with the pain and suffering of the human condition.

(Religious organizations and their leaders are aware of the above, which is why they have worked tirelessly throughout human history to prevent social, scientific, medical, and economic progress. Less pain and suffering equals fewer customers.)
You can never get rid of religion, and fear of death don't have much to do with it. The only peace and chance of no war the Earth has is that the Earth would only have one religion, and that is what the bible builds up to, a global flood that covers every high mountain, but an evolving, circumcising rain that transforms humans into immortals.

It isn't fear that brings the whole world under one religion, it is that God blesses Judah and transforms them into Immortals and the whole world sees it, and then the whole world converts.

That flood of Noah only points to the coming flood of spirit, a promised evolution of mankind, all mankind, all humans.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:58 PM

11,076 posts, read 6,019,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You can never get rid of religion, and fear of death don't have much to do with it. The only peace and chance of no war the Earth has is that the Earth would only have one religion, and that is what the bible builds up to, a global flood that covers every high mountain, but an evolving, circumcising rain that transforms humans into immortals.

It isn't fear that brings the whole world under one religion, it is that God blesses Judah and transforms them into Immortals and the whole world sees it, and then the whole world converts.

That flood of Noah only points to the coming flood of spirit, a promised evolution of mankind, all mankind, all humans.
I'm thinking that the fastest growing religion in the world could be the one that becomes that 'only' religion.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

I like the way you think, Freak. Drugs are the answer. Right on.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm thinking that the fastest growing religion in the world could be the one that becomes that 'only' religion.
Nah. Can't happen, because no way can all humans agree to abide by one religion.

No City-Data Religion & Spirituality subforum agrees on the 'only' religion. The whole WORLD? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 PM

23,217 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I AM THAT AUTHORITY.

Don't believe me?

Come and see me in person and see if I do not show you the kingdom of heaven.

Seriously, even Christians have doubts, even the ones with the most faith have doubts, you come and see me, and I will give you bread for free, meat for free.

No matter where you are, you spend 5000 bucks coming to see me, and you will turn and tell the world,'' It was worth it.''

I say this to an Atheist, even if you don't believe in God, you come and see me, O ATHEIST, and if what I show you is not worth the greatest of treasures then I will hand you a thousand bucks.

This I say to an Atheist, should a Christian come and see me in person, WOE TO HIM, and WOE is Jerusalem, they come in confidence, and they leave in trembling fear, jus saying.

There is no reason to fear me, I am harmless, and yet.

Don't be afraid, O Atheist, I wont damage you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality