Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I believe Joseph Smith was about 18 when he received the Golden Plates.
I've always heard it was younger--like 14. But no worries.
Quote:
2. When did Jesus become aware that he was the son of god? According to Billy Graham:
https://billygraham.org/answer/when-...feel-that-way/
God the Son has always existed. As for the rest, I don't believe I really care to speculate.
Quote:

3. Oh...so the bible was written over many centuries and is, therefore, not an historical record.
I think you either misunderstood me, or you're attempting to misrepresent me. I never suggested that it was a collection of fairy tales written by unknown people. I'm saying it's a collection of books that were written at different times by a number of different authors. We can certainly depend on it.
Quote:

4. Who said I believed in Mormonism? Even though I'm from Palmyra. I'm pointing out that you are totally skeptical of their religion, but you don't think we should be totally skeptical of yours. Hypocrite.
I didn't say you did. I'm just trying to follow your winding train of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Funny. When I go into a book store, all the bibles are one book. If you want to call them chapters, that's fine.
Flip through one sometime. You'll see that it actually is 66 books. And each book has chapters. Except Jude. It's only 1 chapter.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:57 AM

50,854 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've always heard it was younger--like 14. But no worries.

God the Son has always existed. As for the rest, I don't believe I really care to speculate.

I think you either misunderstood me, or you're attempting to misrepresent me. I never suggested that it was a collection of fairy tales written by unknown people. I'm saying it's a collection of books that were written at different times by a number of different authors. We can certainly depend on it.

I didn't say you did. I'm just trying to follow your winding train of thought.
1. Joseph Smith birth = 1805. Golden Plates = 1823. 18 years old.

2. The problem is that many christians believe the bible was written by god. Now you're telling me it was written by a number of different authors. I'm shocked!

3. We can depend on the hate found in the OT? No thank you.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Flip through one sometime. You'll see that it actually is 66 books. And each book has chapters. Except Jude. It's only 1 chapter.
Don't be a dolt. I was raised methodist, then converted to catholicism. In 35 years of going to church and Sunday school, and then more church, I have flipped through a bible more than once...and done more than flipped through it. And I don't agree in calling them separate books.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not quite a supernatural event, is it?
Much more significant than the raising of Lazarus or the son of the widow of Nain or Jairus' daughter or a few others including Jesus - pretty much business as usual at the time, it seems. or even Jesus appearing to Paul and making him an offer he couldn't refuse.

The Quran was passing of the actual direct words of God. As for Joseph Smith, that was even better. It was like finding the original of the Bible engraved on brass. None of your contradictory revisions in Matthew or Luke.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
1. Joseph Smith birth = 1805. Golden Plates = 1823. 18 years old.
Fair enough. I stand corrected.
Quote:
2. The problem is that many christians believe the bible was written by god. Now you're telling me it was written by a number of different authors. I'm shocked!
I can't speak for "many christians", but the doctrine is that it was inspired. That means that God inspired men to write it, but he still allowed them to use their own styles, and their own personalities. The Greek in Peter's writings is much different than that in John's. That's just one example.
Quote:
3. We can depend on the hate found in the OT? No thank you.
Once you understand the context of it, yes, we see that it's a bit deeper than you claim. But I see that you have made your judgments about it and are simply not willing to do that.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Re: this topic, it verified Jesus’ claims that He was indeed the Messiah.
It verified to me that he was far more advanced than anyone, he knew Reality; what this
so-called matter is and how to shape or transform it down to the atoms...water, weather, illness, his own
body, someone's health from a distance was a biggy.
It did not 'prove' that he was God, the son of God or the Messiah...but, it did prove he was
VERY special....guiding the way for us....like the first one to break the 4 minute mile, or the first
woman to break the glass ceiling...
it opened the mind of others to the 'new possible'.

Did God say from the sky, This is my son listen to him?...I dunno, I was not there....but, when
we get that advanced I would call him 'my son' if I was God...and say it with pride and joy!

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

I can't speak for "many christians", but the doctrine is that it was inspired. That means that God inspired men to write it, but he still allowed them to use their own styles, and their own personalities. The Greek in Peter's writings is much different than that in John's. That's just one example.

Once you understand the context of it, yes, we see that it's a bit deeper than you claim. But I see that you have made your judgments about it and are simply not willing to do that.
Your doctrine. Not the doctrine.

And I see you have made your judgments about it.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Don't be a dolt. I was raised methodist, then converted to catholicism. In 35 years of going to church and Sunday school, and then more church, I have flipped through a bible more than once...and done more than flipped through it. And I don't agree in calling them separate books.
Anyone with even a cursory knowledge of it would recognize that it is 66 different books. But I see that you know that, but you just prefer to misrepresent it.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It verified to me that he was far more advanced than anyone, he knew Reality; what this
so-called matter is and how to shape or transform it down to the atoms...water, weather, illness, his own
body, someone's health from a distance was a biggy.
It did not 'prove' that he was God, the son of God or the Messiah...but, it did prove he was
VERY special....guiding the way for us....like the first one to break the 4 minute mile, or the first
woman to break the glass ceiling...
it opened the mind of others to the 'new possible'.

Did God say from the sky, This is my son listen to him?...I dunno, I was not there....but, when
we get that advanced I would call him 'my son' if I was God...and say it with pride and joy!
A "religious" post I can give some acceptance to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality