Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM

2,962 posts, read 873,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another poor analysis of someone else's motives. If there is a god, he's a do-nothing god. Stop excusing him.
Why do you inquire of the dead via psychics? Are you an atheist who believes in the supernatural, or at least “something more” (like Arach)? I don’t get the impression you’re a materialist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 02:52 PM

51,401 posts, read 24,782,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
Why do you inquire of the dead via psychics? Are you an atheist who believes in the supernatural, or at least “something more” (like Arach)? I don’t get the impression you’re a materialist.
That has nothing to do with my post.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:04 PM

4,655 posts, read 1,827,521 times
Quote:
Another poor analysis of someone else's motives. If there is a god, he's a do-nothing god. Stop excusing him.
Don't seem to be a 'do nothing' God for ME...or a few billion other people....

Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 PM

18,262 posts, read 17,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Don't seem to be a 'do nothing' God for ME...or a few billion other people....

Ha!

Old 05-19-2020, 03:32 PM

2,962 posts, read 873,703 times
Quote:
Quote:
That has nothing to do with my post.

Here's my train of thought...

1. This OP is about: " Atheism As A REJECTION OF--Not Disbelief In--An Evil God"

2. I was commenting about someone who seems really confused about what they believe about God. This person is passionately (mad?) critical of God for not stopping 'evil.'

3. You seem similarly confused and angry at God: phetaroi: "If there is a god, he's a do-nothing god. Stop excusing him."

4. Hard to believe you are as passionate as you are about God if you don't believe He exists.

5. That raised questions about your worldview. You must believe in "something more" (at least) if you visit psychics to inquire of the dead, yet like thrillobyte, you refer to yourself as an 'atheist' -- but you are not a materialist. That intrigues me.

To what extent do you believe in "something more"?

Old 05-19-2020, 03:39 PM

18,262 posts, read 17,033,536 times
Quote:
So much righteous indignation and hubris as you criticize God. You remind me of a child having a tantrum, telling their parents they hate them, in a ploy to get the parents to show them more love. Are you hoping that God sees you as a squeaky wheel, takes pity on you and pulls you close to His bosom? Are playing the part of the wounded sparrow? Is this a pity-party?

Honestly, I couldn't care less what God does. I know He's not going to do squat regardless of how many pity parities I throw and that's fine with me. Nothing is going to change. I only tell you the reality of the situation for those who are out there praying to this useless nothing of a God. You may wake up to reality one day or you may not. Here's the reality: your prayers are a waste of breath unless they make you feel good, like you're doing something useful instead of just sitting on your hands. Tsk! Tsk! All this hypocrisy of "Oh...uh..uh..Yes! I'll PRAY for you. Yes, that's what I'll do, I'll...uh...PRAY for you!"

Old 05-19-2020, 04:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,331,786 times
Quote:
Here's my train of thought...

1. This OP is about: " Atheism As A REJECTION OF--Not Disbelief In--An Evil God"

2. I was commenting about someone who seems really confused about what they believe about God. This person is passionately (mad?) critical of God for not stopping 'evil.'

3. You seem similarly confused and angry at God: phetaroi: "If there is a god, he's a do-nothing god. Stop excusing him."

4. Hard to believe you are as passionate as you are about God if you don't believe He exists.

5. That raised questions about your worldview. You must believe in "something more" (at least) if you visit psychics to inquire of the dead, yet like thrillobyte, you refer to yourself as an 'atheist' -- but you are not a materialist. That intrigues me.

To what extent do you believe in "something more"?

Still casting that same old bait.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:10 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,675,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nicely done, Arach.

lol, like it matters. when the only rule is rip any belief that makes atheism harder to sell It doesn't matter how logical the argument is. then they turn around and say how logical they are.

but hey, the fact that shun science is really the single most important statement we have. We can talk to most people about "Do you honestly feel avoiding science to form a belief is the best we can do?"

Luckily for us, most atheist understand that. Whats funny is the atheist here call the ones that do think about it past evil religion "religion-wanna-beeze".

not thrill tho, I give him a wide birth. I feel he has always been open and honest.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:24 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,829,681 times
I'm sure it's been said at least once or twice in this thread, but what the OP describes isn't atheism.

As for "I'll pray for you", what harm does that do? Praying usually doesn't stop the pray-ers from physically doing something in addition to the prayer. Often, they're on the front lines helping.
Nowadays, we have politically-corrected politicians proclaiming just their "thoughts are with us". Thoughts only. Well, thanks for thinking.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:25 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,675,403 times
Quote:
So you say hes do nothing and they say hes do everything. Neither is really that realistic. So how do we deal with people that promote un-realistic opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality