Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Goodpasture, I am an atheist (and not sure that I even belong on this thread), but I sincerely hope that a good outcome is in the offing. I like that Pagan rune quite a lot.
catman, you're always welcome to come sit with us, a belief in a deity is not a requirement to come and sit in the circle, only the respect for each other is all that is needed.osay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Goodpasture my thoughts and prayers are with your partner and you. I enjoyed reading that Pagan rune,..thank you

.I am very sorry that I don't get to post here as much anymore, but a part of me tends to linger here in the peace and harmony..

Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
ptsum: Thank you. Contrary to the opinion of some, I can respect the beliefs of others if they aren't attempting to convert me.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Goodpasture, my thoughts are with you and yours. I'm not religious but that rune was beautiful, very inspiring. Both of my parents battled cancer - I know how difficult it can be. I wish you all the best.
I haven't visited this thread before but it seems like a beautiful one. I can just imagine sitting in a sacred circle somewhere in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by hills, trees, and streams - looking up at the stars. It seems very peaceful.
Like I said, I'm not religious, but I believe that we are all made up of the same thing - the trees, the animals, the water, the people - that we are all connected to each other. I feel most at peace when I am outside, sitting amongst the trees. We just moved outside of the city and we have a beautiful lakeview from our house. I'm so much more calm and relaxed up here - it's really lovely.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:13 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
My best to you and yours GP. I pray all will be well.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
thanks for all the well wishes, prayers, and positive energy.

One of the more difficult parts of this particular episode is that I wasn't able to stay with her.....I sat with her until nearly midnight but had to leave.

she finally made it out of recovery about 9:30 that night (Wednesday night?) Shortly after midnight I went for dinner then I drove about 120 miles to Ada, checked into a motel, and at 9 the next morning began a two day class. I made it home this evening and my daughter had brought her home this afternoon. The surgery went well, but we won't know if they got it all until sometime next week.

Catman, one of the things I am a firm believer in is that we need to respect others. That means we respect all of each person......the complete package.....their faith, their choice in clothes, their work, their integrity, everything.......and when you respect someone worthy of respect that respect is reciprocated. I do know, that should the time come that we can share a fire, a bottle of good scotch, and a smoke that you are more than welcome. And don't worry......I got out of the conversion business years and years ago............

Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Goodpasture: I'm not at all worried about you trying to convert me. In your case, I would probably find it interesting, since your beliefs are not the same old same old.

I do respect those who are worthy of respect. Respect is not reciprocated by those who are not worthy of respect. I have no trouble respecting people who are tolerant of other viewpoints. The dogmatic ones who can only proselytize and condemn everyone who holds different views are those undeserving of respect.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:25 AM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think you will find that members of this circle really don't do "religion."

Religion are the rules that have grown up around a persons faith. These rules tend to institutionalize something that I feel should NOT be part of an institution. Jesus taught a personal relationship with God. The Native Americans and the various Pagan faiths all teach a relationship with the Creator. These are not separate thoughts or independent developments. The problem is that with the denominations that have grown up around Jesus' teachings rules have been incorporated that actually prevent you from developing that personal relationship with the Creator/God.

But once you have that personal relationship established it is everpresent. It is not an isolated "thing" that you do or attend. It is as much a part of you as your skin or your hair........maybe not hair, you can lose that as you get older........a true relationship can't be lost like that.....it doesn't fall out or off.
Thank you, Goodpasture, for what you wrote above. Very well said.

I read this thread from time to time but have not posted here before. I grew up in a Protestant denomination that emphasized fear and death, making God into a frightening being. It did a lot damage to my life in my younger years. It may sound silly, but when I feel those negative old thoughts and feelings upon me now, I stretch my mind to reach for what I childishly call "Real God". My spirituality is now simplified down to asking for guidance in my life, incorporating gratitude for all I have, and praying for the needs of others. There are no words to satisfactorily describe the nature of what I feel "Real God" to be.

Like some others here, I connect most easily to God/the Creator when in a natural setting. I live near the ocean--it is a most magnificent place to leave the banal and unimportant cares of everyday life and clear my mind and soul to create room for peace. There is also a lovely little lake nearby surrounded by woods. At this time of year, just standing there and listening to the different bird songs and watching the young geese and ducks glide along the water puts me in a renewed state.

Unlearning what I was taught from the cradle has been a struggle but worth the effort.

I hope all goes well with your loved one's recovery from illness. Peace to everyone on here as they go about their lives today.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Like some others here, I connect most easily to God/the Creator when in a natural setting.
I believe that was the way it was meant to be. Very well said. I think it is difficult to see the sacred in the environment of man-made edifices.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Goodpasture, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Hi, to you new posters. That is the beauty of the circle. We are all equil. We are open to all, and think of all as important. No one to judge, but many to listen. We are here, not to point you to our path, but to encourage you to find yours.
May all here find true peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality