Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 09:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
This is what happens, when Americans are clueless on coma use. It's one of them punctuation marks, that literally does not exist in American minds.

What explains, how the universe came to be, better?

Does it make proper sense now?
I think a good many Americans are in a coma....or just clueless at any rate.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
This is what happens, when Americans are clueless on coma use. It's one of them punctuation marks, that literally does not exist in American minds.

LMAO, I know English is not your first language, but that's incorrect use of a "coma" twice right there. I don't think you're in any position to be lecturing Americans on comma use.

None of it matters on a message board except for the fact that sometimes a comma can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

There is a Writing forum on City-Data where you can always go ask questions if you aren't sure.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:18 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO, I know English is not your first language, but that's incorrect use of a "coma" twice right there. I don't think you're in any position to be lecturing Americans on comma use.

None of it matters on a message board except for the fact that sometimes a comma can change the entire meaning of a sentence.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

There is a Writing forum on City-Data where you can always go ask questions if you aren't sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I think a good many Americans are in a coma....or just clueless at any rate.
Russians, too!

Old 09-05-2020, 11:37 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is what comes of poor grammar construction. The title should read "What better explains how the universe came to be?"
Quote:

Not even close, ukrkoz. You clearly have no clue how to use a comma. Perhaps it is the fault of your ESL teacher. What I bolded in my post is the proper way to phrase it since it is the explanation that is modified.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:49 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Mystic has nailed it. "What better explains how the universe came to be?" is the only way to fix the sentence as it stands on its own. However, it doesn't stand on its own. "What explains how the universe came to be better; theism or naturalism?"

The answer to that question is of course, naturalism. Or should that be "The answer to that question is of course naturalism"?

Old 09-05-2020, 02:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
If theism is indeed correct why did the Bible make multiple errors about our physical world? The universe was created in 7 days? Ok
I think the "errors" were put in on purpose.

They said "what can we do so people don't take this thing literally or make an idol out of it?"

they said "Hey, I GOT IT, lets say people lived 900 years ... no fool would take that literally! and if they do, there won't be that many anyway"

Old 09-05-2020, 03:51 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think the "errors" were put in on purpose.

They said "what can we do so people don't take this thing literally or make an idol out of it?"

they said "Hey, I GOT IT, lets say people lived 900 years ... no fool would take that literally! and if they do, there won't be that many anyway"
Ah, actually the only natural clock they had (not counting the yearly seasons) was the moon. Coincidently, 900 moons equal 75 years. Just saying!

Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Ah, actually the only natural clock they had (not counting the yearly seasons) was the moon. Coincidently, 900 moons equal 75 years. Just saying!
learn something new everyday ... thanks

historical context shows again.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:09 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Let's eat, Grandma!

Let's eat Grandma!

Right. My bad, I have no problem to admit it. Though, apparently, you did understand the concept.
Also, you contradicted yourself. By providing an example of 2 sentences, where coMMa use changes meaning radically.
Thus, coMMa DOES matter, like it or not. It makes any sentence live. It accentuates, what author wants to say. It prevents from guesswork on meaning. YOU yourself proved that.
With all due respect, I am educated enough and have enough multicultural experience to, actually, make a statement of such nature. And, unpleasant truth tends to hurt.

Waving it off and saying, it does not matter in forums, is simply not true.
Proper comma use is sign of literacy. Good literacy and good ability to express your thoughts in clear form.
Forums or peer reviewed papers.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Actually, 72.7 years. So what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality