Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I haven't ever encountered BLM proselytizing in any place I've been.
I guess you were not anywhere they marched, gathered and told all about their ideas & concepts, etc. Many times demanding anyone around join their chants. You must live in a very remote place...because it was hard to miss it.
You do know they were out by the 10s of thousands...constantly, all over the Country, for two years. Right?
What if Religious Activists marched the exact same amount, and did everything exactly like they did...the only difference was promotion of Theological concepts & ideas...would you be okay with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 12:47 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I guess you were not anywhere they marched, gathered and told all about their ideas & concepts, etc. Many times demanding anyone around join their chants. You must live in a very remote place...because it was hard to miss it.
You do know they were out by the 10s of thousands...constantly, all over the Country, for two years. Right?
What if Religious Activists marched the exact same amount, and did everything exactly like they did...the only difference was promotion of Theological concepts & ideas...would you be okay with that?
If you don't like my previous answers to this theme, or if they don't entertain you, I really don't care.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
So let's change the focus a little bit.

How do you practice pantheism?
Do you pray?
How do you pray?
Do you have ceremonies and/or rituals?

Or is it sorta like the rock outside in one of my cactus gardens? It just sits there.

Or, is this just something to argue (and be entertained) about?
Quote:
I proselytize on the interweb.
Quote:
I figure that's about all this is.
Quote:
My version of "going door-to-door" to "preach the Word about reverence for ALL That Exists.
Quote:
Many people have a very negative attitude toward proselytizers. Certainly you understand that.
Quote:
Considering the prevalence of Religion in this world, and how much proselytizing there is (even for "NonReligious" ideologies)...anyone that has a negative view towards it will be pretty much in a state of constant angst.
That is most unfortunate.
Quote:
And that is what I actually do fight against -- not the belief in whatever you believe, but in the overreach of religion interfering in the lives of others.
Quote:
Yes...I already knew you fight against Religion and it's derivative influence and motivations you do not agree with.
Quote:
No, that is a misstatement...again.
Quote:
Please clarify...I would not want there to be misunderstanding.
Quote:
You want to have a Church Of Pantheism down on the corner. Fine with me. You want to have an online Church Of Pantheism. Fine with me.

You want to proselytize on public property or at my house...not fine with me.
Quote:
I see
Are there any organizations that promote things you are into and passionate about, that if they were touting it in public, or went around to give out information (or even to raise funds)...you not only wouldn't object, you'd like & welcome it?
Like kids from a Public Educational Organization telling about, and raising funds for the field trip they want to go on.
I understand "Religion" is not among those organizations (you fight against that being publicly/directly promoted & advanced), but not all organizations. Right?
Is that a proper understanding?
Quote:
As a principal, we had fundraisers and forbade students from going door to door, and encouraged them to sell items through their family and friends only. Just to get that out of the way.

I don't presume that people are stupid. Pick any topic -- pantheism, BLM, voting rights, creationism...you name it -- who is so disconnected that they have to be pushed into looking into a topic IF it interests them. I just googled "pantheism" -- 38.4 million hits. BLM -- 9 billion hits. Creationism -- over 6 million hits.

"Need spiritual guidance" -- 65,400,000 hits.

In my community we have about 20 churches. They almost all have electronic billboards with their website listed, phone number, and email address.

What is it in today's world (at least in most societies) that one cannot immerse themselves in, if they're interested? What is the practical need to push an agenda in real life (not this forum)?

This is one of the things that I liked about Theravada Buddhism in Thailand. Based on being a westerner and typically carrying a camera, when I would wander into any Buddhist temple, it would be a fairly safe assumption that I was a non-Buddhist tourist. Not once in all my time there, and after visiting more than a thousand temples, did anyone come up and do any form of proselytizing whatsoever. If I wanted to learn, it was up to me to seek out a teacher.
Quote:
Do you fight against BLM, voting rights activities, etc publicly marching (and going into restaurants, stores, & neighborhoods) and certainly "giving their message" to people who do not want to hear it? Or were you okay with that?
What if Religious organizations marched and acted the exact same way that those organizations did over the last 2 years...would you be cool with that?
Quote:
I haven't ever encountered BLM proselytizing in any place I've been.
Quote:
Quote:
If you don't like my previous answers to this theme, or if they don't entertain you, I really don't care.
You claimed...I "made a misstatement...again".
So...I was looking to clarify.
I asked specific questions....to clarify. But you will not answer them.
Why not? Surely, you want to clear up the "misstatement...again"...right?

Old 07-19-2021, 01:09 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
You claimed...I "made a misstatement...again".
So...I was looking to clarify.
I asked specific questions....to clarify. But you will not answer them.
Why not? Surely, you want to clear up the "misstatement...again"...right?
I answered as I wanted to.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:29 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Which seems to be NOT to answer. Strange.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
The point he is making is that churches following the law is fine. We apply the same standard to them as we do everybody else.

The problem I have is that you believe in rebirth and come along and start posting how unreliable other people's belief are. In terms of a belief, rebirth is not even close to even a living system. He calls it god (siize is an issue).

Then you switch the script to focus on over reaching religion. So we have two idea's blending into one. So in affect we lost the original position. His god claim is his god claim, its not irrational (even though we don't agree). You said it sounds like a fairy tale to you. Well, considering your rebirth belief, that statement is just unreliable.

I like to keep it simple. Use the best base facts we know. Like "we are in a larger more complex system." by like a lot. That just stupid simple. Its the least common denominator.

so my choices are to deny that, don't enable that, try to avoid that, and just say his claim is wrong. And not even look at your reliability because you don't like his position either. Or look at anybody elses claims, like an atheist creed, and just jump on the wagon and toss tomatoes at gld beliefs.

Or I think through the claim and see where it fits observation, For the life me, I don't understand anybody with a science degree avoiding that approach.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I understand.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:45 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
so, back to pantheism.

The argument is "he is just calling everything god". yeah, we need something more than semantics to evaluate the claim. Otherwise the definition stands and he is more right than wrong.

Ok, we all understand that universe (I say shrink to the planet so we can point to it.) is a vastly more complex system than just any one human. That's just as simple as we can go. That complexity is what is causing people to behave the way do. Both atheist and theist. I do take it one step further just because I have some training and compare it to a cell, It matches a cell more than even virus. Just using the traits of life. As I have shown many times now.

That is it, that is as simple as I can go. I can't go simpler, the data doesn't suggest going simpler is the more reliable standard. Now if that is "encouraging them" and makes me "not a real atheist". Well, when a religion-ist looking atheist tells me that, That's a good thing.

Well, gld, mystic, and others have a connection to it and call it god. I don't, but I can see it happening. Just like people have a connection to a dog, a garden, a good meal. I don't get the attement to dog, gardens, and food but I do understand a connection to a system that is made up of us. Well, more than a dog and clearly more than "lack belief" based on not knowing anyway.

I need more than "I dont have to say anything" to justify going simpler is more reliable. Then just hear say.. The science just doesn't justify it.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-19-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 02:14 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times
Quote:
Yes...I already knew you fight against Religion and it's derivative influence and motivations you do not agree with.
Is that really the correct word? Debate, sure, argue, sure, but "fight". A bit too far, IMHO.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
And that is what I actually do fight against -- not the belief in whatever you believe, but in the overreach of religion interfering in the lives of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Is that really the correct word? Debate, sure, argue, sure, but "fight". A bit too far, IMHO.
I used his word.^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality