Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times

Advertisements

Were the other gods of the period depicted as being angry gods?

Old 10-30-2020, 11:38 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
So they can feel self-righteous indignation towards God?
No, I don't think that's the answer...except for christians who can't face the truth.

But thanks for playing.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
So they can feel self-righteous indignation towards God?
No. Try again.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:15 AM

2,962 posts, read 865,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No. Try again.
Ok, I’ll give it another try...

Because it feeds their ego and gives them a thrill to feel like they are in a position to judge and disrespect God?

Last edited by Iwasmadenew; 10-31-2020 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-31-2020, 12:41 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Ok, I’ll give it another try...

Because it feeds their ego and gives them a thrill to feel like they are in a position to judge and disrespect God?
Let me try to explain this complicated concept to you -- we don't believe there is a god. Therefore we can't judge him or disrespect him.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:49 AM

16,790 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Because they read OT literally.
So the flood is not literally true?
The story of Adam and Eve is not literally true?
God is not literally true?

Old 10-31-2020, 03:03 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Sometimes I hope there is a God just so people will have to explain to Him all the horrible things they say He enjoys. I undoubtedly would have some explaining to do too but at least I've never proclaimed His love of violence.

I hope I get to listen to the explanation for why Hitler is in hell with every single person he had murdered.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:15 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
God was angry, sure enough. There's plenty in the Old Testament about that. But that's of the old, former ways. He hasn't been angry since Jesus came along. I certainly can't explain any of that or justify his former ways, but it's no longer relevant. Maybe you can ask the Jews (and some so-called 'Christians') why they remain in that.

If you stay in the past, you'll only see through the eyes of the past. Jesus represented - and still represents - the present and future. Just move on accordingly.
I think emotions are a type of sense that developed as an evolutionary advantage. Anger is just one that helps us to survive and reproduce on this plane. If there are sentient beings on other planets their emotions may have evolved in another way suited for their environment. It doesn't follow that a being that exists in another plane would have the same emotions we have if any at all if they didn't need them for survival. If a person doesn't believe in evolution that wouldn't seem reasonable to them.

I agree with the sentiment of your post though. It's good advice.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 10-31-2020 at 03:32 AM..

Old 10-31-2020, 04:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think emotions are a type of sense that developed as an evolutionary advantage. Anger is just one that helps us to survive and reproduce on this plane. If there are sentient beings on other planets their emotions may have evolved in another way suited for their environment. It doesn't follow that a being that exists in another plane would have the same emotions we have if any at all if they didn't need them for survival. If a person doesn't believe in evolution that wouldn't seem reasonable to them.

I agree with the sentiment of your post though. It's good advice.
It has been my experience that healthy people have healthy expressions of belief. Society may not have been all that "healthy" 3000 years ago.

I agree with you, as an atheist, its more about healthy expressions of belief more than the belief it self. Toss in the scientific method with emotional and intellectual maturity and we see healthy beliefs that match what we see. IMO that is.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
100's of verses of him being angry in the Bible yet he states: "Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil." "But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness." "Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly."

So God can be angry yet he tells us not to be angry?
Yes.

First of all, we're human. We're not on the same level as God. We don't see situations the same way God does. We don't see anger the same way God does.

Human anger often leads us to doing things that have little to do with JUSTICE. We want to "get even". Get "revenge". We want to either punish or see the 'transgressor' punished. But we often don't know the WHOLE story. All we know is that we've been hurt, and we want to see the one(s) who hurt us to hurt just as much...or more.

But do we really have the wisdom to know what the truth is?

If you're standing in line and the person in front of you (before social distancing) takes a step behind and steps on your foot, should you shoot them? Yell at them? Call them names? Slap them? Step on THEIR foot in return so they "see how it feels"? Shove them off of you so hard that they fall?

Is it possible that they simply weren't paying attention? Are you going to be thinking that they "should" be paying attention? Do YOU ALWAYS pay attention? Is it possible that YOU have inadvertently and unknowingly hurt someone? Or, do you think that you're so perfect that you've "never" done anything like that before? Maybe you didn't step on someone's foot, but bumped into someone.

Then again, maybe when someone steps on your toes, instead of getting angry, you feel compassion. Maybe the person fell backwards because of some medical issue. Maybe they were TOLD to step back, and they didn't realize that *you* were there...and they apologize all over themselves.

Anger can lead to action. It can lead to unjustified action. Even if you haven't done anything, yet you wish that the 'universe' would, doesn't mean that *your* idea of punishment is justified.

But God does. Only HE knows what "should" or "shouldn't" be done. Because only HE knows what the whole story is.

Anything more, you're just playing God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality