Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2020, 01:00 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so "those we love are without intrinsic value" and "personal experience is meaningless garbage"
the atheist voice speaks. poster child.
The most precious things in life: Those we love & The things we experience.
To me...anyone that views them as "without intrinsic value" and "meaningless garbage"....well, they are "lacking", no doubt.
Too bad...because they are missing out on the best vibes there are...and they have no clue what they are missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:24 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The most precious things in life: Those we love & The things we experience. To me...anyone that views them as "without intrinsic value" and "meaningless garbage"....well, they are "lacking", no doubt. Too bad...because they are missing out on the best vibes there are...and they have no clue what they are missing.
when i see views expressed like those in bold below,
i give them a very wide berth, like something nasty on the ground i don't want to step in.

Quote:
so "those we love are without intrinsic value" and "personal experience is meaningless garbage"

Old 12-24-2020, 02:04 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
To me...anyone that views them as "without intrinsic value" and "meaningless garbage"....well, they are "lacking", no doubt.
Too bad...because they are missing out on the best vibes there are...and they have no clue what they are missing.
Amen! It is a truly sad and depressing view of our Reality that is deserving of our pity, Gldn.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:18 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Have you been watching the Oxygen Network again?

Old 12-24-2020, 07:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
So you agree with me. You just don’t know the definition of intrinsic. Look it up.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when i see views expressed like those in bold below,
i give them a very wide berth, like something nasty on the ground i don't want to step in.
Except you did step in it, and gave no berth at all. Maybe you were preoccupied with your soiled shoes as you responded with a post that was simultaneously a lie and an asthenic virtue signal.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
So you agree with me. You just don’t know the definition of intrinsic. Look it up.
No...I do not agree with you.
And I don't have to look it up...it's a pretty common word.

Here...check this out. Usage you may find interesting:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/25276020-post200.html

Old 12-24-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I’m not pretending your faith has zero evidence, I am stating it as a plain fact. Personal experience is meaningless garbage. It has no explanatory power. It can be anything from delusion to some semblance of reality or anything in between. I give your personal experience zero weight. “Extrapolation” of science means pulling something out of your rectum. Again any assertion can be justified with an arbitrary proclamation that it is based on a personal “extrapolation” of science. Same as faith. Any claim can be based on faith. It is a meaningless basis to formulate a rational conclusion.

Observation, logic, and reason offer the most reliable path to knowledge. Faith is a non sequitur to achieving knowledge. The scientific method is the beginning, middle, and end of knowledge acquisition. And look how you threw out a phrase like “spiritual fossil record”. Again trying to gain secondhand legitimacy for useless faith by trying to associate it with a legitimate scientific technique (fossil record). Same technique as creationism. Make faith “sciencey” by garnishing it with pseudoscientific terminology.

Unfortunately, that is nothing more than lipstick on a pig, and not a particularly attractive pig to boot. Until you can demonstrate your claims with hard and strong scientifically acquired evidence, you have zero, zilch, nada. I reject personal experience, and I reject so-called scientific “extrapolation”.

There is only one supreme being of your life, and that is little old you. There is nothing more, nothing else, nothing bigger, nothing more powerful, and nothing in charge, or offering guidance. The meaning and purpose for your life comes 100% from you. And when you die, all of that, and all of you, ceases to exist and is gone forever.
Is that you Nozz?
I wondered where you were.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Is that you Nozz?
I wondered where you were.
Damn, good cite. I like that one.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
No...I do not agree with you.
And I don't have to look it up...it's a pretty common word.

Here...check this out. Usage you may find interesting:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/25276020-post200.html
I reject the assertion that because people believe something, that something is true, or real, or valid. Such a position is responsible for more evil than I can ever relate.

Untrue beliefs should be corrected to conform to reality. Because reality is the final arbiter. Facts don’t care about your feelings. Reality doesn’t care about your beliefs.

The evidence indicates that soul and spirit are terms without legitimate meaning. The reason nobody can agree on what they mean is that they are in fact meaningless. Their significance ebbs and flows with the arbitrary emotions and fears of the people who invent them. And reinvent them. And forget them. And reimagine them when some new context appears.

Basically, the shifting and reinvention of terms like soul and spirit is whim worship. Somebody dies, it means one thing. A baby is born, it means something else. A murderer is about to be put to death with capital punishment, it gets some dopey new meaning. A team comes from behind to win the Cup and it means something as arbitrary and capricious as the will to win a prize. A women correctly decides to have an abortion and others claim her spirit, which they can’t define, and won’t define, is going to some place after death that is an arbitrary human invention.

It’s all poppycock. There is no evidence for any of it because there can be no evidence for arbitrary whim-worship. And there has never been evidence for it, and there is no evidence for it, and there will be no evidence for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality