Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
"it's well known"? Too christians it's well known. To most of the rest of the world it's not known at all.

And this is the problem -- the assumption something like that is "well known", with the emphasis on the word known.
Yea, that’s kinda strange...The soul is not a living being until G-d gives it life with a spirit...The soul is essentially the individual...The soul is like a CPU (brain) which controls the motherboard (body) and HD (memory storage, soul) and is useless until electricity (spirit, perhaps Human Bio-Electricity) is applied to it...

Without bio-electricity living organisms, including human beings, would not be animate...So, perhaps what we call spirit is essentially the bio-electricity within our bodies...

Without a brain we would not be able to breath, feel, manipulate our body in order to walk, run, pick up things, etc...Nor would we have the capacity to store our lifetime of memories...

Without the body there would be nothing to manipulate or store or communicate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 10:07 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, that’s kinda strange...The soul is not a living being until G-d gives it life with a spirit...The soul is essentially the individual...The soul is like a CPU (brain) which controls the motherboard (body) and HD (memory storage, soul) and is useless until electricity (spirit, perhaps Human Bio-Electricity) is applied to it...

Without bio-electricity living organisms, including human beings, would not be animate...So, perhaps what we call spirit is essentially the bio-electricity within our bodies...

Without a brain we would not be able to breath, feel, manipulate our body in order to walk, run, pick up things, etc...Nor would we have the capacity to store our lifetime of memories...

Without the body there would be nothing to manipulate or store or communicate...
Your response has nothing to do with my post.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:11 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
My mistake...I was simply thinking of god imparting a soul...but I was not thinking about the quickening...a term I actually had to look up.

But that mistake sorta made my point once again. Just cause someone says something they believe...
...as if it were fact. Yeah.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

Yes. As mentioned earlier, it is a feeling or sensation. The sense that there is a being within us that is us and yet in a sense not us, and is apparently supposed to be our mentality and life -spirit and indeed survives after our death seems to be common in many cultures and is a huge part of human belief.

The question is whether it being a common experience makes it true as interpreted by us in the historical-traditional way or whether it is a human delusion (to put it bluntly without any deprecatory intent) that is not correctly understood by us, and in in fact, mythologised.

The whole question of human sensation/experience -perception has been discussed at great length (a protracted discussion on qualia) including human illusions of identity and Id emerging from instinctive perception and reaction. It's very debatable and it's an idea likely to arouse strong (if not indignant) responses from those who don't care to have their very personal sensations describes as 'chemical reactions'. But the fact is that I don't see it as at all improbable that the sensation and feeling of the spirit or soul is basically, just that.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:22 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. As mentioned earlier, it is a feeling or sensation. The sense that there is a being within us that is us and yet in a sense not us, and is apparently supposed to be our mentality and life -spirit and indeed survives after our death seems to be common in many cultures and is a huge part of human belief. The question is whether it being a common experience makes it true as interpreted by us in the historical-traditional way or whether it is a human delusion (to put it bluntly without any deprecatory intent) that is not correctly understood by us, and in in fact, mythologised. The whole question of human sensation/experience -perception has been discussed at great length (a protracted discussion on qualia) including human illusions of identity and Id emerging from instinctive perception and reaction. It's very debatable and it's an idea likely to arouse strong (if not indignant) responses from those who don't care to have their very personal sensations describes as 'chemical reactions'. But the fact is that I don't see it as at all improbable that the sensation and feeling of the spirit or soul is basically, just that.
that's not a fact. that is you stating your opinion and your conjecture.
putting the word "fact" in a sentence, does not make what you are stating a "fact."

it is a fact that you are stringing together words in a sentence.
the words you are stringing together are not facts.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Your response has nothing to do with my post.
Reread the post that you replied to...

Old 12-13-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. As mentioned earlier, it is a feeling or sensation. The sense that there is a being within us that is us and yet in a sense not us, and is apparently supposed to be our mentality and life -spirit and indeed survives after our death seems to be common in many cultures and is a huge part of human belief.

The question is whether it being a common experience makes it true as interpreted by us in the historical-traditional way or whether it is a human delusion (to put it bluntly without any deprecatory intent) that is not correctly understood by us, and in in fact, mythologised.

The whole question of human sensation/experience -perception has been discussed at great length (a protracted discussion on qualia) including human illusions of identity and Id emerging from instinctive perception and reaction. It's very debatable and it's an idea likely to arouse strong (if not indignant) responses from those who don't care to have their very personal sensations describes as 'chemical reactions'. But the fact is that I don't see it as at all improbable that the sensation and feeling of the spirit or soul is basically, just that.
AI...From my perspective, perhaps G-d created us as a Bio-Artificial intelligence, along the same lines that science can create an AI that learns and grows and can become very good or very bad, a self-willed AI...I believe that it is possible to artificially create a being that mimics all the mechanics and chemical reactions within the human body...

Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that's not a fact. that is you stating your opinion and your conjecture.
putting the word "fact" in a sentence, does not make what you are stating a "fact."

it is a fact that you are stringing together words in a sentence.
the words you are stringing together are not facts.
Of course. That is the only fact I am saying. What else did you think I was saying? That I maintained that my suggestions were true? I just suggest they are not improbable.

Quote:
AI...From my perspective, perhaps G-d created us as a Bio-Artificial intelligence, along the same lines that science can create an AI that learns and grows and can become very good or very bad, a self-willed AI...I believe that it is possible to artificially create a being that mimics all the mechanics and chemical reactions within the human body...
That is not impossible. In fact, however one regards consciousness, whether popped into the head like a slot in personality program or is gradually evolved from the basic predator and prey reactions that kick- started natural selection, a god could always be behind it.

The point is that, there really isn't any good evidence for a god being behind it it, let alone any particular god.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
....My question was: What is the actual evidence for the bolded?

So, what do you all think? Is there significant evidence for this? Or is this another example of confusing faith and fact?
No, there is even less evidence for a "soul" or "spirit" than there is for a creator. With the latter there is at least clear evidence of a universe, and things in that universe... which at least allows one to posit a "creator" (even if that creator is a god of the gaps). But there is zero evidence for a soul or spirit, and no reason to think these are anything other than products of the human imagination.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:21 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
No, there is even less evidence for a "soul" or "spirit" than there is for a creator. With the latter there is at least clear evidence of a universe, and things in that universe... which at least allows one to posit a "creator" (even if that creator is a god of the gaps). But there is zero evidence for a soul or spirit, and no reason to think these are anything other than products of the human imagination.
Thank you for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality