Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
That in the name of science it was okay to conduct forced/covert medical experiments on humans.

Science needs a proper moral framework. Science is merely the "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." That study in and of itself needs both a moral framework and a code of ethics for proper research of science to have good results.

You can't assume all science is properly done, just like I can't assume all religion or even all Quakerism is properly done.

Science is a pursuit of understanding and that pursuit can be corrupted. Which is why science has gotten answers wrong, promoted racism, promoted evil, promoted misogyny, etc.

Religion can also be viewed as a pursuit of understanding and can also be corrupted and has gotten answers wrong, promoted racism, promoted evil, promoted misogyny, etc.

Both need a proper moral framework and a code of ethics.
You are talking about the framework here, not the claims. Again, What claim, right or wrong has science made where religion has come up with a better answer?

For example, science claimed that half the universe’s ordinary matter was missing — and may have been found. Does religion have a better answer?

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...t-radio-bursts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 AM

1,799 posts, read 562,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Science has made many wrong claims before. Has religion come up with a better answer even to science's wrong claims?
Not to mention that science is continually trying to find out if it HAS made wrong claims so as to correct them, while religion refuses to search and see if it is possibly making false claims . The very nature of the difference between scientific and religious claims. Religion has no desire to find out if what it claims stands up to reason . Science tries to disprove even its legendary heroes, like Einstein

Old 03-02-2021, 09:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Science is not a monolith. We all use it everyday. That includes those who live off the grid to those who live and die by peer reviewed/vetted conclusions.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:49 AM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
To be a better answer, that answer has to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
science is limited in its ability to measure what people and religion have known and taught and recognized and put to practical use for tens of thousands of years.
that speaks to the limitation of science.
Quote:
if the view expressed above is "unless science can prove it, it is not true"
then that is false.

are you seriously saying that only science knows what is true? that's funny.
No, the only thing I am seriously saying is what I wrote.

You did start by saying "if" but then went on to assume that is what I was implying. I suppose you are justified in wondering whether that is what I was implying but no, I meant only what I wrote.

So, to address your first response, how do we know that what was known and taught for thousands of years is correct? For example, different societies have had different 'known and taught' than others. Some societies believed in faeries and they were not cute little people with insect wings that live at the bottom of the garden. We know that 'knowledge' to be incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I would change "true" to "consistent with observation". We don't have to believe anything. But if the claim is consistent with observation then it doesn't matter what we believe. Sort of. And the belief itself has a chance of self correcting over time.
Yes, you are right.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:41 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy
To be a better answer, that answer has to be true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
No, the only thing I am seriously saying is what I wrote. You did start by saying "if" but then went on to assume that is what I was implying. I suppose you are justified in wondering whether that is what I was implying but no, I meant only what I wrote.

So, to address your first response, how do we know that what was known and taught for thousands of years is correct? For example, different societies have had different 'known and taught' than others. Some societies believed in faeries and they were not cute little people with insect wings that live at the bottom of the garden. We know that 'knowledge' to be incorrect.
you have shared that your lady companion does Reiki. let's say someone gets a Reiki session and states that they feel better. is what they are saying "true" ? is it "correct"? Do you consider Reiki to be "true" or "correct" ? What do you base that on? Is someone who practices Reiki a charlatan, dishonest, and deceiving others?

Old 03-02-2021, 01:48 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
you have shared that your lady companion does Reiki. let's say someone gets a Reiki session and states that they feel better. is what they are saying "true" ? is it "correct"? Do you consider Reiki to be "true" or "correct" ? What do you base that on? Is someone who practices Reiki a charlatan, dishonest, and deceiving others?
Charlatans, dishonest, and deceiving people usually want money for their spiritual practice. That is usually a clear sign of a lack of true spirituality, IMO. My daughter is a Reiki master and would not even consider charging for her services, yet they take a certain toll on her energies.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:51 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Science is not a monolith. We all use it everyday. That includes those who live off the grid to those who live and die by peer reviewed/vetted conclusions.
The joke goes.

Scientist care what their friends say.
Engineers only care that it works as designed.

I wonder what we could put in for philosophers. To make it funny.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:02 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The joke goes.

Scientist care what their friends say.
Engineers only care that it works as designed.

I wonder what we could put in for philosophers. To make it funny.
Philosophers only care that it corresponds to what we currently can know about Reality.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:03 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Life only wants to live.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
thats right. As the "object", or life, increases in size some physical changes have to take place to move the resources around to "just live".

Why cant a cell be forty feet wide? What happens to DNA when the strand is way to long? Maybe the strand is broken up and encapsulated to perform "Life only lives".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality