Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2021, 01:56 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That is because Theism, and Abrahamic Religious Belief in particular, has been at such a saturation point for the last thousand years or so, it has become a "Standard of Human Understanding".
I did not make it this way...that's just the fact of how it is.
Thus...any concept that goes against the long-established Standard will have to prove itself against it.
What you are really arguing here is "The Burden of Proof".
That obligation is upon the one making the "extraordinary", "remarkable", or "new" claim.
Well..."God Exists" has been sooooooo prolific, for sooooooo long...it is considered the aforementioned "Standard of Human Understanding"...and any position that deviates from that would be the "extraordinary/remarkable/new claim" that will have to prove itself against the long established standard.
Just like Galileo had to PROVE the universe DOES NOT revolve around the Earth, since that concept was in opposition to the "long established standard" that it did...the Atheists will have to PROVE God DOES NOT exist, if they want their concept to be accepted as valid.
BTW...good luck with that. It will be much harder for the Atheists than it was for Galileo...since he was right, and they are wrong (about God not existing).
The "God Exists" concept has held for over a thousand years against all challenges...and is growing in this educated & sophisticated world.
Time, education and the emergence of more and more "truth" of our Universe will wear away these phony beliefs.

As far as proving these utterly-ludicrous, baseless assertions, i.e. "god et al", are false is impossible as it is the classic "you can't prove a negative. I have, however, pointed out some of the massive and limitless contradictions between dogma and reality, but it bounces off of your ears, or thereabouts.

Yes, I know I have said this and similar over and over without any absorption on your part, but there it is one last time.

I'm not buying any of your, or any other believer's (individually or collectively) bunk sans evidence, if that is not too much to expect.

If you ever find any, please let me know. Just so you know, your score on that account is nought. Your pail is not only empty, it is bone-dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 02:21 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Time, education and the emergence of more and more "truth" of our Universe will wear away these phony beliefs.
Undoubtedly, but I suspect NOT in the direction you surmise, Salty. You have insufficient knowledge of the extant science on the frontier to see what is coming. People like Arach with science training and understanding of the dominant science today are seeing the writing on the wall. Recognition that we are spiritual beings at the quantum level (consciousness) temporarily inhabiting a material body at the macro level will eventually become more widely understood. Woo, Woo, Woo!!!

Old 06-20-2021, 02:25 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
One of the things that believers do (or don't do) is ignore obvious, HUGE disconnects between what they profess on one hand, and what they profess on the other. Dots they old to be true, but which not only can't be connected, but are in direct contravention to each other.

Well-known radio host Dennis Prager is a believer in the perfect, all knowing god of the bible. A god to wise and powerful as to have created the Universe and all that is in it, including ALL the laws of nature, all the way down to the forces that hold the various particles of atoms together.

Yet, in the next breath, he describes mankind, the crowning achievement of this "creator", as being deeply flawed!

Whoa Nelly, how can that be. Onmi-whatever creator that is infinitely-wise and powerful, and the best he can come up with is a deeply flawed mankind! Really!

The contradiction is immense to the point of infinity.

I do agree that mankind is deeply flawed, so it must be the other side of the contradiction that is fatally-flawed, i.e. that there is an omni-this and omni-that creator., It simply can't be both ways if one is in the least bit intellectually-honest (not a characteristic, however, properly associated with believers or believing).
You're assuming that God wanted to create perfect human beings. I wouldn't assume that. God could have made people perfect, but God did not. God created humans that aren't perfect, and gave us free will, even though God didn't have to. Fortunately, God loves us anyway, knowing that we aren't perfect.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Undoubtedly, but I suspect NOT in the direction you surmise, Salty. You have insufficient knowledge of the extant science on the frontier to see what is coming. People like Arach with science training and understanding of the dominant science today are seeing the writing on the wall. Recognition that we are spiritual beings at the quantum level (consciousness) temporarily inhabiting a material body at the macro level will eventually become more widely understood. Woo, Woo, Woo!!!
Mystic You have insufficient knowledge of the extant science on the frontier to see what is coming. People like myself with science training and understanding of the dominant science today are seeing the writing on the wall.

See, Mystic, two can play your adolescent game.

Last edited by Salty Water; 06-20-2021 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-20-2021, 02:42 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Mystic You have insufficient knowledge of the extant science on the frontier to see what is coming. People like myself with science training and understanding of the dominant science today are seeing the writing on the wall.
Cute! If only it were true that you had sufficient science training and understanding of the dominant science today, Salty. Your views might be less obnoxious.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
a few others have no idea they have no idea. Pushing "fight religion" as the primary reason one is here to discuss beliefs can not evaluate claims all that honestly.

I have no idea how a person that can think "I believe I am more enlightened than many others" and then avoid unpacking claims about beliefs (other than bashing a deity over and over and over and over again that is)

The scientific method is actually designed to remove personal agendas and personal bias. Thats why they have to avoid it like the plague.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
You're assuming that God wanted to create perfect human beings. I wouldn't assume that. God could have made people perfect, but God did not. God created humans that aren't perfect, and gave us free will, even though God didn't have to. Fortunately, God loves us anyway, knowing that we aren't perfect.
All of what you say is completely and utterly TRUE, except for one small detail.

God didn't create people. People created (imagined) god.

And in the event that one might think free will would absolve god of total responsibility for any and all evil etc., committed by man, remember, "god" made it, "god" instilled ii into mankind. and "god" therefor is completely "on-the-hook". People are the victims of those shenanigans, well would-be shenanigans, since "god" is imaginary only.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
a few others have no idea they have no idea. Pushing "fight religion" as the primary reason one is here to discuss beliefs can not evaluate claims all that honestly.

I have no idea how a person that can think "I believe I am more enlightened than many others" and then avoid unpacking claims about beliefs (other than bashing a deity over and over and over and over again that is)

The scientific method is actually designed to remove personal agendas and personal bias. Thats why they have to avoid it like the plague.
They can avoid the scientific method if they wish. But the facts of nature, of our universe, soup-to-nuts, as discovered by the scientific method, is unavoidable.

Those facts, not some imaginary deity etc., IS our reality.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
All of what you say is completely and utterly TRUE, except for one small detail.

God didn't create people. People created (imagined) god.

And in the event that one might think free will would absolve god of total responsibility for any and all evil etc., committed by man, remember, "god" made it, "god" instilled ii into mankind. and "god" therefor is completely "on-the-hook". People are the victims of those shenanigans, well would-be shenanigans, since "god" is imaginary only.
God exists. I know it, and we'll all discover that some day.

Old 06-20-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Cute! If only it were true that you had sufficient science training and understanding of the dominant science today, Salty. Your views might be less obnoxious.
I had hoped you would get a chuckle.

What is truly obnoxious, is your overbearing grandiose attitude saturating your posts, of your scientific end intellectual superiority. It simply isn't so, regardless of how oft you repeat the mantra that Mystic is the smartest in town.

It simply isn't so, and anyone who believes the poppycock you proffer is self-disqualified from that title/role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality