Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 07:08 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My problem with this is you are comparing how life is now (too complex and sophisticated) with how it was then.
I considered this as well, taking into account the evolutionary stages of man for instance. Yet I believe some sort of pre-programmed/coded/etc. material that was formed by an intelligence yet unknown to us gave evolution its initial start. Evolutionary steps are secondary to this hypothesis IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 07:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I considered this as well, taking into account the evolutionary stages of man for instance. Yet I believe some sort of pre-programmed/coded/etc. material that was formed by an intelligence yet unknown to us gave evolution its initial start. Evolutionary steps are secondary to this hypothesis IMO.
Look at a baby being formed in humans. Remove the mother (you don't know she's there or not) and watch the process.

Its looks like its preprogrammed. We know she didn't program it ... but she aint nothing either.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:28 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
To discuss this more would be going into the science, but thank you for disagreeing without ranting, something others here seem to have a problem with.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:34 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
My recent second look at the Kabbalah has convinced me He was a very advanced Jewish Mystic.
You've surprised me again.
I know you are a Christian. I'd have thought you bought into the whole son of god thing. You think Jesus was just a regular human albeit an advanced one?

Here we are 10 years into this and you learn new things about people.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:16 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You've surprised me again.
I know you are a Christian. I'd have thought you bought into the whole son of god thing. You think Jesus was just a regular human albeit an advanced one?

Here we are 10 years into this and you learn new things about people.
Oh, He is the Son of God, Cruithne, no doubt about that, IMO. We are all supposed to be God's children. He is just the perfect one who did what the rest of us seem unable to achieve - perfect resonance (Identity) with God's Holy Spirit (consciousness). That would at least underscore the notion that He is indeed the Firstborn Son of God among humans.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:24 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I'm a B because I know God .... I look at the body parts of even people and the brain and the complex liver organ and don't believe that the mindless nature could have come up with that
To be honest, even as a person with two degrees in geology, I used to think like that (although in my case I thought about it in terms of the eye). Later, however, I began to think a little differently. Why did it take god so long to go from stromatolites to a modern life form. Did he just keep screwing up? Did he keep saying, "Back to the drawing board"? That doesn't seem very all-knowing and all-powerful.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:34 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Intelligence not agreeing with making errors is a western way of thinking. Many great thinkers from the east would say that errors lead to new understanding, and that it would be better to attempt much and fail much (and learn much), than attempt little and have the easy and perfect life, appearing superficially wise and powerful.

Someone like Abraham Lincoln could be considered an intelligent person, but made many mistakes on his way up the ladder of accomplishment and growth. The same can be said of countless other persons from around the world and over time. You gain most from the observation and effort put in, not the measure of your results. Americans love to belittle people and throw stones based on only end results, and never give a moment into seeing all the rest that has been involved. It's a narrow, shallow, and limited way of seeing. Just another example of "See little, know little".

I'm of the opinion that God has changed his approach over time. Dinosaurs? Yeah, around and carrying on, but perhaps not the ideal way to go, so taking an exit. The old vengeful and domineering God of the OT? That could only go on for so long until a totally different approach was needed (the relaxed and mutual friend in the form of Jesus). Look around the universe, and the constant you'll see is change.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It depends on what we mean by the universe being intelligent. I think it's an infinitely complex information system.
Well I explained what I meant.

On what evidence are you concluding that the universe is an infinitely complex information system?

Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Intelligence not agreeing with making errors is a western way of thinking. Many great thinkers from the east would say that errors lead to new understanding, and that it would be better to attempt much and fail much (and learn much), than attempt little and have the easy and perfect life, appearing superficially wise and powerful.

Someone like Abraham Lincoln could be considered an intelligent and person, but made many mistakes on his way up the ladder of accomplishment and growth.

I'm of the opinion that God has changed his approach over time. Dinosaurs? Yeah, around and carrying on, but perhaps not the ideal way to go, so taking an exit. The old vengeful and domineering God of the OT? That could only go on for so long until a totally different approach was needed (the relaxed and mutual friend in the form of Jesus).
For some thor this isn't about matching a belief to what we see. Its about the word god.

I have on poster that is really accusing me of not being an atheist because I look at god traits and don't just answer to atheism "no god". They treat it like dogma. That's not about evaluation as much as its about what they want to be real.

militants: they see the word "god" and your wrong.
fundy theist: if its not "My" god, you are wrong.

Neither of them think about it past that..

Old 07-16-2021, 09:42 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I'm not arguing for the existence of God. Sure, others won't see that or agree. That's fine with me. I'll admit that I inject some personal spiritual conversation amongst more broad matters that we all would have in common. Just showing how that would tie in. Those discussions could be tuned out if completely unrelatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality