Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM

427 posts, read 127,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I miss Irkle. He added an intellectual weight to the forum.
As for spiders they draw their web back into their selves and recycle them. Amazing creatures.
Humans just make prisons of their own minds and project their own unreal world.

Correct.What you said is is what I meant.

The Ten Truths and Irkle's analysis are webs (fabric of reason) spun by the spider (mind). Look at the intricacy of the pattern of reason. I get dizzy just looking at its web.

The spiritual approach is not rationalization, the use of reason to figure things out. And like knitting, the web of naturalism has to begin from a starting point, the premise, that anchors the mind-made story together.

For the benefit of LearnMe, I found the quote below from the internet.

"Before you can actually start knitting, you need to create a row of simple loops around your needles as a base. This process is called cast-on or casting on. Think of it as a stable fundament, much like when you build a house."

The Ten Truths relate and are anchored to the human being, a creature invented by scientism. Nature is a mystery akin to the Tao that cannot be told. Scientism is the mother of the ten thousand things each of which has a rational cause laid out in its bible, the book of knowledge.

I am not a human being. I am a mystery. I know not where I come from. And this is the correct approach to seeking the truth about what I am. Reason cannot be used in this inquiry because it needs a starting point, a base assumption from which to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 01:06 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post

The Ten Truths and Irkle's analysis are webs (fabric of reason) spun by the spider (mind). Look at the intricacy of the pattern of reason. I get dizzy just looking at its web.

The spiritual approach is not rationalization, the use of reason to figure things out. And like knitting, the web of naturalism has to begin from a starting point, the premise, that anchors the mind-made story together.

"Before you can actually start knitting, you need to create a row of simple loops around your needles as a base. This process is called cast-on or casting on. Think of it as a stable fundament, much like when you build a house."

The Ten Truths relate and are anchored to the human being, a creature invented by scientism. Nature is a mystery akin to the Tao that cannot be told. Scientism is the mother of the ten thousand things each of which has a rational cause laid out in its bible, the book of knowledge.

I am not a human being. I am a mystery. I know not where I come from. And this is the correct approach to seeking the truth about what I am. Reason cannot be used in this inquiry because it needs a starting point, a base assumption from which to begin.
The atheists and pragmatic "realists" here do rely on "scientism" because it is the only basis they have for contemplating our Reality, myuen. Mysticism is such an alien realm they simply are not equipped to even begin to grasp the perceptual and experiential differences. Way too abstract for them. That would be the reason for coining the word, "woo."

Old 01-10-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The atheists and pragmatic "realists" here do rely on "scientism" because it is the only basis they have for contemplating our Reality, myuen. Mysticism is such an alien realm they simply are not equipped to even begin to grasp the perceptual and experiential differences. Way too abstract for them. That would be the reason for coining the word, "woo."

Yup. One cannot blame these folks (naturalists, atheists). They are science buffs:

"They are thrilled by new discoveries. A science buff reacts to the breaking news of a scientific advancement with the same enthusiasm with which a religious person hears about a miracle. They want to know more details immediately."

A 6700 year old popcorn is more credible to these guys than the parting of the Red Sea. And yet, they are allowed to sit on the jury of murder trials carrying the death sentence. Absolutely shocking.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:39 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Some time ago, LearnMe started a thread about the "Ten Truths" that are the foundation his thinking. That thread predictably veered off into other areas. More recently, a discussion of the Ten Truths surfaced on another unrelated thread. LearnMe suggested that I and perhaps others had mischaracterized and too quickly dismissed his Ten Truths. He invited a more substantive response, specifically from me but surely from others who also think deeply about these matters.

This is my more substantive response. I’ll simply offer my observations on each Truth. I’ll try to stay as neutral and non-snarky as I can. It would be wonderful – but perhaps I’m hoping against all hope – if the thread could remain substantive, free of the non-sequiturs, inane cheerleading, mindless emojis and snarky one-liners that substitute for thought and quickly derail almost every thread.

What happens to our consciousness after death? Does science answers that?

Old 01-10-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What happens to our consciousness after death? Does science answers that?

You are opening up a can of worms here.

Our consciousness? What do you mean by "our"? What is it that is conscious?

Old 01-11-2023, 12:28 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I miss Irkle. He added an intellectual weight to the forum.
They certainly had the intellectual weight to fool the less intelligent, but when you parsed their verbose posts, they were usually nothing but attacks by fallacies. Probably because English is my third language, and I had to spend more time parsing their posts, I could see where the deliberate errors were.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:34 AM

Quote:

When you dismiss tools used by millions as scientism instead of pointing out the flaws in the original posts, then one must ask why we should accept your opinions?

Old 01-11-2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
By scientism, you mean using evidence and reason, whereas your method means you must accept ALL religious and spiritual claims.

But then you do have conversations with fictional characters.

Old 01-11-2023, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yup. One cannot blame these folks (naturalists, atheists). They are science buffs:

"They are thrilled by new discoveries. A science buff reacts to the breaking news of a scientific advancement with the same enthusiasm with which a religious person hears about a miracle. They want to know more details immediately."

A 6700 year old popcorn is more credible to these guys than the parting of the Red Sea. And yet, they are allowed to sit on the jury of murder trials carrying the death sentence. Absolutely shocking.
Using rational arguments is absolutely shocking? I suppose you would rather get a spiritualist on the witness stand to get in touch with the victim and ask who did it? Or what about a ducking stool for the alleged murderer?

Old 01-11-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
CThe Ten Truths relate and are anchored to the human being, a creature invented by scientism. Nature is a mystery akin to the Tao that cannot be told. Scientism is the mother of the ten thousand things each of which has a rational cause laid out in its bible, the book of knowledge.

I was thinking about this part of the post as I took Mr Yap for his walk, not because the use of 'scientism' is a sign of a false 'teacher' who simply dismisses what they do not like, but also because it is a typical example of those pretending to be spiritual and wise because they have a superficial knowledge because they have casually read a book.

The first thing to understand is the misrepresentation and misuse of the Daoist concept of the ten thousand things.

The second is that genuine Daoists would laugh at the above, because one of the core ideas of Daoism is to question your beliefs and experiences, as the story of Zhuang Zhou who dreamed he was a butterfly* shows. Rational inquiry is a major part of Daoism, which is why things like Daoist medicine is used, because it has been tested and proven to work.

* or was he a butterfly who dreamed he was a man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality