Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 04:04 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What does this mean? So if Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language, is it accessible in an English Brain via thought
Yes, it is confusing. Ancient Chinese thought is inaccessible in the English language, yet they tried to explain ancient Chinese thought using an English translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It is because the forum/aquarium has devolved into a childish self-righteous gathering place to argue others out of their worldview instead of an area of exploration.
Or my point is valid, but you would rather make once again a childish, self-righteous post and attack a non-believer instead of asking for an explanation, to explore my position, my argument, and what I base my position on.

You appear to be ignorant of the fact that too many of the spiritual people on this forum are here to lecture, not explore.

Old 01-12-2023, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the other thought that comes to mind in reading post above, is wondering how someone who does not believe that chi even exists, can claim to speak authoritatively about Taoism, or appoint themself as arbiter of what a "genuine Daoist" would or would not do.
Ironic considering you are a self appointed arbiter of all things spiritual, even though you were wrong about a first cause cosmic consciousness in Daoism.

I am not the arbiter of what a "genuine Daoist" would or would not do, actual Daoists are. I learn from them.

Quote:
"Central to Taoist worldview and practice is qi (chi). Qi is life-force, that which animates the forms of the world."
"Qi is the force that makes up and binds together all things in the universe."
Perhaps because I have studied this, and not every Daoist accepts the existence of Chi as a mystical life force (a simplistic western view), but see it as energy, an application of energy, natural forces, or as an ancient, but outdated approximation of how our bodies function.

Throughout the history of China from before the emperor Chin, the concept of Chi has been defined differently, perhaps if you studied this instead of relying on Google searches?

Quote:
It would be great to have a thread on Taoism.
Yet you argue with someone who actually studies Daosim, it's principles and history?

Old 01-12-2023, 06:01 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Or my point is valid, but you would rather make once again a childish, self-righteous post and attack a non-believer instead of asking for an explanation, to explore my position, my argument, and what I base my position on.

You appear to be ignorant of the fact that too many of the spiritual people on this forum are here to lecture, not explore.
You are a very hostile and angry person who is always looking for an international internet fight. You are allowed to get away with your behavior, but in the end, you are just another intolerant keyboard warrior.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:44 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
You are a very hostile and angry person who is always looking for an international internet fight. You are allowed to get away with your behavior, but in the end, you are just another intolerant keyboard warrior.
i agree with this observation.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Except you misrepresented what the 10000 things are. And you can not make the false claim that 'the Chinese today don't understand ancient Chinese thought' and then say you used a Western translation to explain something the Chinese can not understand. If only there were more Daoists here (classical Confucianism usually avoids religious ideas), it would make an interesting comparison with Buddhism. I too would like my wife's teacher to join in, but that is politically difficult as he lives in China.
a thread on Taoism would be a welcome addition to this part of the forum.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Except you misrepresented what the 10000 things are. And you can not make the false claim that 'the Chinese today don't understand ancient Chinese thought' and then say you used a Western translation to explain something the Chinese can not understand. If only there were more Daoists here (classical Confucianism usually avoids religious ideas), it would make an interesting comparison with Buddhism. I too would like my wife's teacher to join in, but that is politically difficult as he lives in China.
so then what is your own understanding of the 10,000 things. And what is your own understanding of the Tao, and how it differs from the 10,000 things.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
"The dao is broad and multifaceted, as indicated by the many interrelated meanings of the term. Accordingly, the concept has various interpretations and plays various roles within Daoist philosophy. In its most profound interpretation, the Cosmic Dao, or the Way of the Cosmos, it is the immanent and transcendent 'source' of the universe, spontaneously and incessantly generating the 'ten thousand things' (a metaphor for the world) and giving rise, in its constant fluctuation, to the complementary forces of yinyang, which make up all aspects and phenomena of life. The Cosmic Dao is 'imperceptible' and 'indiscernible,' in the sense of being indeterminate or not any particular thing; it is the void that latently contains all forms, entities, and forces of particular phenomena. "

Lao Tzu writes in the Tao Te Ching: "Tao produced the One. The One produced the two. The two produced the three. And the three produced the ten thousand things."

"In the beginning, there was an endless void, known as Wu Chi, or Tao. The Tao is a universal energy, from which all things emanate. From this vast cosmic universe, from Tao, the One emerges. As the One manifests in the world, it divides into two: the Yin and the Yang. This stage represents the emergence of duality/polarity out of the Unity of Tao. In Taoist cosmology, Qi is in constant transformation between its condensed material state and its dilute energetic state. From Yin and Yang emerges the five elements. From the constituent elements come the “ten-thousand things,” representing all of manifest existence, all of the objects, inhabitants, and phenomena of the world that we experience. Human beings, in the Taoist cosmology, are among the Ten Thousand Things. Another way of describing this process is to say that these stages represent the descent of energetic consciousness into physical form. The practice of Taoism, in general, is an attempt to perceive the presence and workings of the universal Tao in the Ten Thousand Things and to live in balanced accordance with it. "

sources here and here
Exactly, your assertion was false, despite the bolded opinion of the second source that is not found in Daoism.

Quote:
but you yourself do not know whether someone studies and practices Taoism. Therefore you yourself can not make that determination. and among those who study and practice Taoism, no they would not all say this or all do that. because they do not all think, speak, act, laugh, or interpret as a monolith all in the same way. It is not rational and it is not accurate, to claim that "a genuine Daoist would laugh at ______."
When they get the basics wrong, as you did, it is obvious they do not study or practice. Your ability to Google opinion pieces is neither studying nor practicing.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry, who started this instead of actually addressing my post?

Hint ...

Quote:
It is because the forum/aquarium has devolved into a childish self-righteous gathering place to argue others out of their worldview instead of an area of exploration.
Do not start fights you can not finish, and then pretend I threw the first punch.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
i agree with this observation.
Yet I am not the one attacking people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality